Jets news and football articles- 6/ 12/08

Kentucky Jet

Report: Jets fine Baker $3,000 for missing treatment session

ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 12, 2008, 1:40 AM ET

Comment

Email

Print

As if things between Chris Baker and the New York Jets weren't bad enough.

Baker

Baker's agent, Jonathan Feinsod, told the New York Daily News on Wednesday that the team fined Baker $3,000 for missing an injury-treatment session at last week's mandatory camp. The tight end plans to appeal, according to the newspaper.

Baker, who passed on voluntary workouts during the offseason because of a contract dispute, injured his back during warm-ups on the second day of minicamp.

Baker, who has asked to be traded, made it clear he wasn't happy with his contract from the get-go.

"If the situation was better, of course I'd want to be here, but the way things are right now, I really don't have the desire to be out here right now at this moment," said Baker on the first day of minicamp Thursday.

Baker insists the Jets told his former agent, Cliff Brady, before last season that they would look into redoing his contract. His deal currently has two years remaining and pays him about $1.65 million a year.

The Jets, however, have refused to budge on Baker's deal, despite the tight end registering career highs with 41 catches and 409 yards last season.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Jets rookies tour the HOF

The Jets rookie class toured the Pro Football Hall of Fame earlier today (Wednesday), part of the league's rookie orientation program. The Jets were the 18th team to send its rookies to Canton since May 28 and the remaining teams will visit over the next six weeks. This is the first year the HOF visit has been part of rookie orientation and was an idea that came from a conversation between Michael Irvin, a 2007 inductee, and Commissioner Roger Goodell last August.

The picture, admittedly not as, um, thrilling as some of the others posted here in recent days, is from the Hall's home page, profootballhof.com. For those who haven't seen much of the Jets rookies, that's Dustin Keller and Erik Ainge featured prominently in the photo.

Posted by Erik Boland on June 11, 2008 11:15 PM | Permalink

Agent: Jets fined TE Chris Baker for missing treatment session

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, June 11th 2008, 9:16 PM

Antonelli/News

Chris Baker wants to be traded if the Jets don't re-negotiate his deal, which has two years left.

The relationship between the Jets and disgruntled tight end Chris Baker is deteriorating by the day. The club hit Baker with a $3,000 fine for missing an injury-treatment session at last week's mandatory minicamp, his agent, Jonathan Feinsod, confirmed Wednesday night. Baker will appeal, contending he did what was required.

Baker, who boycotted voluntary workouts during the offseason because he's unhappy with his contract, showed up for minicamp and "tweaked something" in his back during warmups on the second day. He spent the day (two practices) riding a stationary bike, fueling speculation he feigned the injury to send a message to the Jets. Clearly, coach Eric Mangini wasn't happy.

Feinsod described the fine as a petty act, comparing it to the way the team treated another client, former Jet Pete Kendall, who ripped Jets management about his contract last year and was assigned to the rookie dorm on the first day of training camp. The team called it an honest mix-up.

"Chris was fined for allegedly missing a treatment session, just like Pete Kendall allegedly was put in the rookie dorm," Feinsod said sarcastically.

A team spokesman, citing team policy, declined to comment on the fine.

Baker said he wants to be traded if the Jets don't re-negotiate his deal, which has two years remaining.

Justin Miller to Start?

Posted on June 11th, 2008 by Bassett

Is Justin Miller going to be the opening day starter for the New York Jets at the second CB spot? It seems that Daily News beatwriter Rich Cimini thinks so:

From Ira: Do you think Justin Miller will be the starting cornerback opposite Darrelle Revis?

Ira: Yes, I do. Based on everything I saw at camp, the job is Miller

Dearth looks brilliant snapping at mini-camp

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Jun 10, 2008

Jets long-snapper James Dearth has been limited this off-season due to some kind of injury. The Jets won't say what it is. But at the Jets recent mini-camp, he seemed to get more involved.

Dearth looked fantastic snapping the ball. In fact, he looked so good, the Jets released rookie long-snapper Nick Jarvis, who had been brought in to cut Dearth's workload while he was re-habbing.

Related Stories

Scout.com Triple Crown QB Nominees

-by ScoutNFLExperts.com Jun 9, 2008

Parcells not sure if Patriots spyed on anyone

-by JetsConfidential.com Jun 8, 2008

Help fight Lupus

-by JetsConfidential.com Jun 7, 2008

A A A A A

NFL needs to crack down on injury report

Photo by S. Lecka By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Jun 11, 2008

Patriots cornerback Ellis Hobbs played in the Super Bowl with a torn labrum and a sports hernia, but wasn't listed on the injury report prior to the game. Wow!

Former Wildcat Joe Smith Signs with New York Jets

Posted: June 11, 2008 03:00 AM EDT

Updated: June 11, 2008 03:00 AM EDT

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Joe Smith, who played for four seasons as a punter at Central Washington University from 2000-03, has signed a free agent contract with the New York Jets of the National Football League.

Smith, who turns 27 on Sunday (June 15), starred for the Wildcats for four seasons and earned first team NCAA Division II All-American honors from the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) following his senior season in 2003. A two-time first team all-Great Northwest Athletic Conference punter, Smith led the entire nation (Division II) in punting average in his final campaign and earned a selection to the Cactus Bowl all-star game following the season.

Smith, a native of Enumclaw, Wash., finished his career with 144 total punts and an average of 43.24 yards per punt -- the highest career average in Central Washington history. Since the end of his collegiate career at CWU, Smith has been playing semi-pro football for the Yakima Mavericks of the Evergreen Semi-Pro League, averaging 42.8 yards per punt in 2007 and earning the league's special teams MVP award last season.

Smith joins a list of several former Wildcats to have professional opportunities within the National Football League. Currently, quarterback Jon Kitna (1992-95) is the only active CWU alum in the NFL, playing for the Detroit Lions. Other recent Wildcats to see time in training camps of NFL teams include two of Smith's former teammates -- defensive lineman Lance Gibson (New York Jets) and wide receiver Jake Roberts (Tennessee Titans). Neither player participated in a regular-season game in the NFL.

Impact Rookie Individual Defensive Players.

Posted on June 10, 2008 by Trio

(by Trio) As Dynasty Leagues (and deep keepers) are slowly becoming the norm, one is finding that a strong defense compliments a good defense on the road to a Fantasy Title. So without further adieu Pro Bono presents its Impact Rookie Individual Defensive Players Article.

LB Jerod Mayo (New England): Prior to the draft all I heard was talk of how poorly Coach Bill Belichick fairs at selecting rookie linebackers. Looks like he

Callahan a major asset

by Dave Hutchinson

Saturday June 07, 2008, 4:35 PM

New assistant head coach/offense, Bill Callahan, whose main responsibility is the offensive line, is coaching to rave reviews and is a big upgrade from former offensive line coach Tony Wise.

Callahan, formerly head coach of the Oakland Raiders and the University of Nebraska, has brought an in-depth knowledge of offenses and a keen eye for detail with regards to technique along the offensive line.

Also, Callahan is excellent at explaining to his offensive line why he wants things done a certain way.

Conversely, Wise was more accustomed to working with veteran offensive lines in Dallas and Miami and he wasn't very detailed oriented. With youngsters Nick Mangold and D' Brickashaw Ferguson on the Jets offensive line, the unit needed direction. That's why the lost of veteran Pete Kendal was so crticial last season.

The Jets reached out to Callahan, who was fired by Nebraska at the end of last season, at the suggestion of GM Mike Tannenbaum and were delighted when the veteran coach expressed an interest in the job.

The organization has poured $65.5 million, including $32 million guaranteed, into its offensive line in the person of two new additions -- LG Alan Faneca and RT Damien Woody. They join veteran RG Brandon Moore, Mangold and Ferguson.

``What I like about Bill is he's incredibly flexible,'' said coach Eric Mangini. ``He's got the West Coast (offense) experience, he's got the coordinator experience, he's got the head coach experience.

``He's called plays and he's able to five the guys a real insight into the why -- why we're running this blocking scheme, why the hot (read) is where it is, what we have to do on each play and how it fits into the quarterback's depth.

``He can give a lot more detail because he has a great understanding of the big picture.''

In addition to working with the offensive line, Callahan is expected to be a huge help to offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

Meanwhile, the Jets concluded their three-day minicamp today with a tour of their state-of-the-art Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in Florham Park, N.J and a Family Day event at nearby Delbarton High in Morris, N.J. The team will move to the new facility at the end of training camp, a year ahead of schedule.

The club has no scheduled practices or workouts until players report to training camp around the third week of July.

It's a slow day when your long-snapper makes headline news.;)

Look mbn James Dearth is killing this team and must be cut immediately...I have now found my off-season voice...I will be posting my url for Jamesdearthmustdie.com as soon as I get clearance

...by reaching for a player who was not considered a first rounder until a month before the draft

Don't make me talk about your man love for DRob. :P

Mayo will be fine. He has A. Thomas, Bruschi, Vrabel & maybe Seau as his mentors.

...by reaching for a player who was not considered a first rounder until a month before the draft

The Jets reached for a workout warrior too at #6...... I hope Gholston is a bigtime player, but I fear he won't be.

Archived