NEWSDAY ... Read it and weep

Green Jets & Ham

BY KEN BERGER

STAFF WRITER

March 3, 2005

Once the clock struck midnight yesterday, marking the start of the NFL free-agency period, the Jets found themselves in as difficult a fight as they faced on the field all season.

After spending most of the day in fierce battles to retain nose tackle Jason Ferguson and running back LaMont Jordan, the Jets lost both players, opening the free-agent period with an exodus reminiscent of the notorious Redskins Raid of two years ago.

Ferguson, the anchor of the Jets' defensive line, signed a five-year, $21.5-million contract with the Cowboys -- but not before the Jets worked well into the night to try to change his mind. According to ESPN.com, Ferguson, 30, got a $9-million signing bonus and will make $11.5 million in the first two seasons and $13.5 million in the first three years of the deal.

Jordan agreed in principle on a five-year deal with the Raiders last night, said his agent, Alvin Keels. The Jets "went down swinging," said Keels, who added that he's "99.9 percent sure" Jordan will sign the deal with the Raiders today.

"It's not all about the money," Keels told Newsday, noting that the Jets' offer was comparable financially. "It's about opportunity. The opportunity was greater all the way around. He has an opportunity to be part of an explosive offense that can do some special things."

Jordan, who spent his first four seasons with the New York Jets, carried 93 times for 479 yards and two touchdowns last season and also made 15 catches for 112 yards. The Raiders released veteran running back Tyrone Wheatley yesterday, along with defensive tackle John Parrella.

"There's no question we're working on signing a running back," coach Norv Turner said Wednesday after the team introduced new receiver Randy Moss. "I don't know where we're at. He's certainly a guy we're familiar with. We know a lot about him."

Mike Tannenbaum, the Jets' assistant general manager, anticipated Parcells' play for Ferguson, whom he drafted for the Jets in 1997. Parcells and Ferguson are represented by the same agent, Jimmy Sexton.

At one point, an agent for another top free-agent defensive player said the Jets were consumed with combating Parcells. "Mike's doing a hell of a job fighting to get back in there," the agent said.

The Jets also made a hard push for former Bills nose tackle Pat Williams, but were rebuffed. Williams agreed last night to a deal with the Vikings -- three years, $13 million, including $6 million to sign.

Former Giants defensive tackle Lance Legree reportedly will visit Hempstead, but he's more of a swing backup than a starter. The plan for replacing Jordan includes Chiefs running back Derrick Blaylock, who apparently is on his way to visit the Jets.

The Jets also could lose starting right tackle Kareem McKenzie, who was contacted by the Giants. Despite indications Tuesday night that they were pursuing former Bills left tackle Jonas Jennings, they were never involved. Jennings appears headed to San Francisco.

Ideally, the Jets want to move Jason Fabini to right tackle and acquire a top-notch left tackle. The only such player available is Orlando Pace, who has been tagged as the Rams' franchise player. St. Louis would prefer to re-sign Pace, but has explored trade options.

The Jets have the salary-cap space to do something bold. So though they were down on Day One of free agency, they're by no means done.

Notes & quotes: The Jets have shown no interest in free-agent WR Plaxico Burress ... Defensive options could be Packers S Bhawoh Jue, and a fourth linebacker such as Barry Gardner (Browns).

=========================

Translation: WE'RE F**KED <ahttp://forums.jetnation.com/uploads/emoticons/default_eusa_wall.gif' alt=](*,)'>

They have the money to do something but yet they do nothing.

They should really just take the week off. They can pick up the scraps next week.

How many times will people choose Minn over NY? Williams hurts the most IMO.

They should really just take the week off. They can pick up the scraps next week.

Max, and he wasn't even paid obscene money or years ... 3 years at 13 million is a bargain for a player like Pat Williams ... if we go 5 million per {3 years, 15 million}, PAT WILLIAMS IS A JET!!

AND THAT TOO WOULD HAVE BEEN A BARGAIN FOR THIS PLAYER!! ](*,)

oy .. it is going to be another long off season... i really thought that Williams would have surpassed the loss of fergy....gosh i hate this crap... we need somthing to happen soon before depression sets in ..OY

Max, and he wasn't even paid obscene money or years ... 3 years at 13 million is a bargain for a player like Pat Williams ... if we go 5 million per {3 years, 15 million}, PAT WILLIAMS IS A JET!!

I can't believe we didn't pay Williams more than 3/$13. Unbelievable.

I don't want to over-react, but is anyone else depressed?

Here is where I am really off. I like Williams more than Fergie straight up.

Yet Fergie got a bigger deal I believe. Interesting.

If they announced that the Jets signed this guy for 4/25 and a 8 million dollar bonus I wouldn't have blinked.

Depressed?

Try homicidal!!

When I saw those numbers for Pat Williams, I wanted to string Terry Bradway up by his balls and bludgeon him with the Jawbone of an @$$

HERE'S THE CRAZY PART

Now TB is making a last ditch effort to keep fergy ... upping his original offer out of desperation ... how much you wanna bet that if we retain fergy it will be at MORE MONEY than Pat Williams was paid?

](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,) ](*,)

Penny is going to loan some of that $64 M I heard

I'm just curious if the Jets have someone giving these players' wives anal while they're being wooed?

People are running from the Jets like the plague

If so my money is on Herm and Dick Curl being behind it.

OAkland & Washington have no cap...The Jets have no balls.

thats what it appears to be. if the rumor is true that the Jets havent shown ANY interest in Plaxico Burris, then I really wonder what the hell we're going to use our draftpicks on because all the top-name FAs will be gone by April :shock:

Archived