Rangers sign D Wade Redden; resign Rozsival

Rangers ink Redden to six-year deal, re-sign D Rozsival

ESPN.com news services

Last July 1, the New York Rangers improved their top six forwards when they signed free-agent centers Scott Gomez and Chris Drury. This year, the Rangers addressed their backend, coming to terms with defenseman Wade Redden and re-signing fellow defenseman Michal Rozsival.

Redden gets a six-year deal that will average $6.5 million per season, just a bit less than the eight-year, $57.1 million deal the Blackhawks will give defenseman Brian Campbell.

Rozsival, who quaterbacked the Rangers' powerplay last season, agreed to a a four-year, $20 million deal.

Redden, a two-time All-Star, headlined the Ottawa Senators' defensive corps last season. He appeared in 80 games, scored six goals and had 32 assists, finishing the year plus-11 for a Senators team that allowed the most goals for any of the teams that made the playoffs.

Rozsival had repeatedly stated his desire to remain in New York, both during the season and once the Rangers were eliminated from the playoffs by Pittsburgh.

Redden appeared on TSN's Free Agent Frenzy on Tuesday and said he was excited to join a team that has made the playoffs for three straight seasons.

"It's just a great opportunity," Redden said. "They showed they wanted me and it's a great place and a great team."

The duo will be expected to anchor a New York blue line that features young, rising defensemen Marc Staal, Daniel Girardi and Fedor Tyutin.

Rozsival led all Rangers defenders last year with 13 goals and 25 assists and has posted 108 points and was plus-45 in his three seasons as the Blueshirts top backender.

The Rangers also came to terms with free-agent wingers Aaron Voros and Patrick Rissmiller and signed Andreas Jamtn of the Swedish Elite League. Terms of the deals were undisclosed.

Great job by bringing back Rozsival and adding Redden. Great job.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very nervous about this Redden deal. I think it is too much money for a guy that hasn't been very good in the last 2 years. He needs to return to his form from before these last 2 years to be worth the money.

And if Roszival is gonna get 5 mil a year he better shoot the damn puck!

im very nervous about jagr leaving i just went to espn.com and they said pens might bring back jagr if we lose him i will be so pissed.

If they do then we better be making a huge push for Hossa. Losing Jagr would suck, but if we picked up Hossa it wouldn't hurt as much. For the long run, that might even be a better move.

There are only a couple of teams that can afford Hossa- the Rangers are one of them - it all depends on what happens with Jagr.

They needed to upgrade the defensive corps so Redden is a plus

If they do then we better be making a huge push for Hossa. Losing Jagr would suck, but if we picked up Hossa it wouldn't hurt as much. For the long run, that might even be a better move.

we better win thats all i care about.. Jagr is my favorite player so it would suck to see him go and especially to pens considering they are already a great team.. you put crosby and jagr together there line will score 6 outta 10 times..

Well according to TSN, Hossa has signed a 1-year deal with Detroit. Assuming that's true, the Rangers better come up with something for a wing.

I would rather keep Avery over Jagr, we would be completely nuts to let Avery go.

Avery is gone to the Stars. Glad he's outta the EC.

Hossa. Meh. Pens offered him 7/50 and he took 1/7.4. Whatever. Not that big of a loss, there are other forwards out there for Sid to make look better than they are.

I'm really not happy about losing Avery. And his contract wasn't unreasonable either. We really needed to keep him especially because we have no wings now.

And Hossa had established himself as a top flight forward long before he ever played a few games with Sid the Bitch.

Avery is gone to the Stars. Glad he's outta the EC.

Hossa. Meh. Pens offered him 7/50 and he took 1/7.4. Whatever. Not that big of a loss, there are other forwards out there for Sid to make look better than they are.

Please Panic and sign Jagr. KTHX.

The Rangers signed two tougher physical yesterday guys so I think they knew Avery was not in their plans.

True, but neither of those guys can score like Avery can. The Rangers must re-sign Jagr now or else our only wings will be Dawes, Prucha, Callahan, Orr, Hollweg, Rissmiller, Voros, and prospects like Lauri Korpikoski and Dane Byers.

Hopefully there is a trade in the works as well.

I'm really not happy about losing Avery. And his contract wasn't unreasonable either. We really needed to keep him especially because we have no wings now.

And Hossa had established himself as a top flight forward long before he ever played a few games with Sid the Bitch.

Not in the playoffs he hadn't.

I see the Devils signed two relics 35 and 37 years old- nice way to spruce up the team Lou.

LOL. Rolston is one of the best PP wing snipers in the NHL and 35 isn't old. He had 6 less points than Hossa did last year. SIX.

Holik is perfect for the devils system as a defensive center.

I see the Devils signed two relics 35 and 37 years old- nice way to spruce up the team Lou.

Indeed. Devils are making first class moves so far let me tell you. They're still under the belief that Brodeur can take them places. Sorry New Jersey, but Brodeur is good for taking you to the playoffs but thats about it. No further. Gotta get some scorers in there. :rl:

I can't believe Hossa only signed a one year deal. Detroit is insane. They win the cup and then they ink Hossa. My god how many games are they going to win in 2008-'09?

Seeing Avery go sucks, but I can assure you it wasn't what he wanted. Glen Sather, the biggest D'Bag on earth, had no interest in retaining him and it was a stupid move. The Rangers will miss Avery more than they will miss Jagr if Jagr signs with the Penguins or goes to Russia.

Either way, we should now turn our attention to resigning Jagr and signing another defenseman.

Indeed. Devils are making first class moves so far let me tell you. They're still under the belief that Brodeur can take them places. Sorry New Jersey, but Brodeur is good for taking you to the playoffs but thats about it. No further. Gotta get some scorers in there. :rl:

I can't believe Hossa only signed a one year deal. Detroit is insane. They win the cup and then they ink Hossa. My god how many games are they going to win in 2008-'09?

Seeing Avery go sucks, but I can assure you it wasn't what he wanted. Glen Sather, the biggest D'Bag on earth, had no interest in retaining him and it was a stupid move. The Rangers will miss Avery more than they will miss Jagr if Jagr signs with the Penguins or goes to Russia.

Either way, we should now turn our attention to resigning Jagr and signing another defenseman.

Only in your retarded ranger homer world is signing a 60 point guy with a killer slap shot a bad move heh.

Only in your retarded ranger homer world is signing a 60 point guy with a killer slap shot a bad move heh.

And only in your "retarded homer devil world" are the Devils a better team than the Rangers who outplayed them throughout the regular season and playoffs last season. Only you madmike, only you.

But hey, you better keep on rooting for them as long as you can before they're bankrupt and out of New Jersey.

And only in your "retarded homer devil world" are the Devils a better team than the Rangers who outplayed them throughout the regular season and playoffs last season. Only you madmike, only you.

But hey, you better keep on rooting for them as long as you can before they're bankrupt and out of New Jersey.

2 points difference. WOW the devils should just fold up shop. Nice job changing the subject. Tell me why Rolston is a bad signing please.

2 points difference. WOW the devils should just fold up shop. Nice job changing the subject. Tell me why Rolston is a bad signing please.

Changing the subject? You shouldn't even be in this thread. Its a Rangers thread and unless you are so obsessed with them, why would you be here? Still worried the Rangers might whipe up the ice with the Devils again this year? I think you are. Its okay, maybe we'll let you win twice in the regular season this year just to get your teams confidence up.

Maybe because he's 35 years of age? Guys that old can drop off at any point if they arn't superstars and even the superstars eventually drop. Great move investing millions and millions on a 35 year old. Whats he going do to for the Devils? Score 40 goals? Score 30? I think not. Everyones offense drops off when they come to New Jersey. :rl:

Now go blast some more smart Ranger moves and drink your sippy.

Changing the subject? You shouldn't even be in this thread. Its a Rangers thread and unless you are so obsessed with them, why would you be here? Still worried the Rangers might whipe up the ice with the Devils again this year? I think you are. Its okay, maybe we'll let you win twice in the regular season this year just to get your teams confidence up.

Maybe because he's 35 years of age? Guys that old can drop off at any point if they arn't superstars and even the superstars eventually drop. Great move investing millions and millions on a 35 year old. Whats he going do to for the Devils? Score 40 goals? Score 30? I think not. Everyones offense drops off when they come to New Jersey. :rl:

Now go blast some more smart Ranger moves and drink your sippy.

If it's a stranger thread why were the devils brought up? It wasn't me to who did that. You really show that you know nothing about hockey every time you talk about it. I remember when the strangers signed shanahan who was 3 years older than rolston and you LOVED it but rolston is done at 35 LMAO. What a joke.

Good luck with Wade Redden, the Eddy Curry of the NHL.

It's really funny how much crap stranger fans talk when their team has won NOTHING in 14 years. I guess the 2nd round of the playoffs is a huge deal to you. You're 101 points down as we speak.

If it's a stranger thread why were the devils brought up? It wasn't me to who did that. You really show that you know nothing about hockey every time you talk about it. I remember when the strangers signed shanahan who was 3 years older than rolston and you LOVED it but rolston is done at 35 LMAO. What a joke.

Good luck with Wade Redden, the Eddy Curry of the NHL.

It's really funny how much crap stranger fans talk when their team has won NOTHING in 14 years. I guess the 2nd round of the playoffs is a huge deal to you. You're 101 points down as we speak.

When do Devils tix go on sale, so we Rangers fans can sell out your arena 3 times more?

I understand why they didn't bring back Avery; he's something of a turd to temmates and management, but our turd-likeTikanen, Claude Lemieux. You need a guy like that,a nd they're record when he's in the lineup was much better. Seems pennywwise but pound foolish. Unless there's something else we don't know about-trade, FA-Jagr has to be resigned. And the only FAs that approach that are Sundin and Sakic, both longshots.

I don't think Jagr will sign with the Pens. He wants to be the man, and in Pittsburgh he wouldn't be behind Sid and Geno. In hindsite, we should have signed Malone, TB got a good price for him.

They over paid for Redden, but that's not the worst of it, they signed him for too long.

If he can bounce back OK, but he will never keep it up the duration of that deal.

Slats has no clue how to do things in the cap era, he over paid for everybody, and he would have for Avery too.

It was the no movement clause that broke the Avery deal, as Sather was going to match the money.

Not sure why no movement clauses all of a sudden matter, that shmuck gave Gomez and Drury them.

Trading Tyutin and Backman for Fritsche and Zherdev was huge but they still need scoring fowards.

I doubt Jagr will come back, if he does we can only give him 1 year.

Our cap situation is bad enough 58% of it is tied up in 5 players and Lundqvist is the only one worth the coin.

Next year we will have to re sign Zherdev, and the free agent pool is going to be huge.

Slats fuvked up our cap big time, and unless it goes away, we are not going to beable to keep the youth we waited so long to see develop.

Guys like Staal and Dubi will be gone because we over spent on free agents.

What else is new?

They over paid for Redden, but that's not the worst of it, they signed him for too long.

If he can bounce back OK, but he will never keep it up the duration of that deal.

Slats has no clue how to do things in the cap era, he over paid for everybody, and he would have for Avery too.

It was the no movement clause that broke the Avery deal, as Sather was going to match the money.

Not sure why no movement clauses all of a sudden matter, that shmuck gave Gomez and Drury them.

Trading Tyutin and Backman for Fritsche and Zherdev was huge but they still need scoring fowards.

I doubt Jagr will come back, if he does we can only give him 1 year.

Our cap situation is bad enough 58% of it is tied up in 5 players and Lundqvist is the only one worth the coin.

Next year we will have to re sign Zherdev, and the free agent pool is going to be huge.

Slats fuvked up our cap big time, and unless it goes away, we are not going to beable to keep the youth we waited so long to see develop.

Guys like Staal and Dubi will be gone because we over spent on free agents.

What else is new?

I agree that we overpaid for Redden and Roszival but guess what? Everybody has been overpaid in the last couple days. Your point would be more valid if the Rangers were the only team overpaying for people but they are not.

Mike Commodore got almost 4 mil a year, Streit got 5 mil, Campbell got 7 mil, Jeff Finger got 3.5 mil. For whatever reason, d-men are being severely overpaid for.

And believe me, they are going to hold on to Staal and Dubinsky.

I agree that we overpaid for Redden and Roszival but guess what? Everybody has been overpaid in the last couple days. Your point would be more valid if the Rangers were the only team overpaying for people but they are not.

Mike Commodore got almost 4 mil a year, Streit got 5 mil, Campbell got 7 mil, Jeff Finger got 3.5 mil. For whatever reason, d-men are being severely overpaid for.

And believe me, they are going to hold on to Staal and Dubinsky.

I agree, but that does not mean you have to sign TWO.

Look there was no need to over pay for both defensemen this year and both centers last year, we would have been fine signing one of each and having funds to fill other needs.

Now watch, Dubinsky is either going to be stranded on the 3rd line or Drury will play the wing, bot stupid moves,

and further proof that we should not have shelled out all that cash and signed both Gomez and Drury last season.

Now with Rozsi and Redden it's the same thing, and we still do not have a physical threat on D.

Remember we have to have cap room to sign Dubi and Stall, and if this **** keeps up we won't.

Also we need wingers to replace the likes of Jagr, Shanny, Straka, and Avery. We brough in Zherdev that's one and we are already cap tight.

We still need a physical defender and at least another scoring winger.

Next year the free agent pool is going to be rich, too bad we will be just about maxed, when that top tier foward is available.

I agree, but that does not mean you have to sign TWO.

Look there was no need to over pay for both defensemen this year and both centers last year, we would have been fine signing one of each and having funds to fill other needs.

Now watch, Dubinsky is either going to be stranded on the 3rd line or Drury will play the wing, bot stupid moves,

and further proof that we should not have shelled out all that cash and signed both Gomez and Drury last season.

Now with Rozsi and Redden it's the same thing, and we still do not have a physical threat on D.

Remember we have to have cap room to sign Dubi and Stall, and if this **** keeps up we won't.

Also we need wingers to replace the likes of Jagr, Shanny, Straka, and Avery. We brough in Zherdev that's one and we are already cap tight.

We still need a physical defender and at least another scoring winger.

Next year the free agent pool is going to be rich, too bad we will be just about maxed, when that top tier foward is available.

How is Dubinsky being on the 3rd line such a bad thing? It doesn't hurt to have good depth. The Rangers are going to have something a glut at center with Anisimov on the way up. It wouldn't surprise me if he got some playing time this year and should definitely be NHL ready by the 09-10 season. We also have the winger Alexei Cherepanov on the way for the 09-10 season, and if he lives up to his billing he is a definite 1st-liner.

So if the Rangers have the "problem" of too many young players, well that's a nice problem to have. And signing Gomez and Drury was absolutely the right thing to do. I can't wait to watch Gomez and Zherdev together this year.

How is Dubinsky being on the 3rd line such a bad thing? It doesn't hurt to have good depth. The Rangers are going to have something a glut at center with Anisimov on the way up. It wouldn't surprise me if he got some playing time this year and should definitely be NHL ready by the 09-10 season. We also have the winger Alexei Cherepanov on the way for the 09-10 season, and if he lives up to his billing he is a definite 1st-liner.

So if the Rangers have the "problem" of too many young players, well that's a nice problem to have. And signing Gomez and Drury was absolutely the right thing to do. I can't wait to watch Gomez and Zherdev together this year.

OK so now Dubi should be thrusted back on line 3? I'm sorry but that is hurting his development not helping it.

I'm glad we have Gomez too, but he is making too much, he is not Thorton, Iginla caliber, yet he is making that kind of money.

Having Anisimov on the way up, and seeing that Dubinsky can handle first line minutes, makes it painfully obvious we did not need to pay Drury $7 million, and that money would have been better used on a top tier winger.

Alexei Cherepanov may never make it over here with the money the Russian league is going to throw at him, and he is not going to be half the player Ovechkin or Malkin is IMO.

OK so now Dubi should be thrusted back on line 3? I'm sorry but that is hurting his development not helping it.

I'm glad we have Gomez too, but he is making too much, he is not Thorton, Iginla caliber, yet he is making that kind of money.

Having Anisimov on the way up, and seeing that Dubinsky can handle first line minutes, makes it painfully obvious we did not need to pay Drury $7 million, and that money would have been better used on a top tier winger.

Alexei Cherepanov may never make it over here with the money the Russian league is going to throw at him, and he is not going to be half the player Ovechkin or Malkin is IMO.

Why would Dubinsky being on the 3rd line be hurting his development?

Gomez is making too much money, but we had to overpay to be able to get him at all. That's just how it is these days.

Drury is paid too much as well, but I'm still very glad to have him. The guy isn't going to score 40 goals, but he provides invaluable leadership and is a great defensive forward and scores goals at the most important times. And now that Jagr is gone, I can't possibly see how he won't be the captain. He is the exact kind of player you need to win the Cup.

Cherepanov will be here next year. And how do you know how good of a player he is going to become? Have you watched him play at all? The kid was supposed to be a top 5 pick and only dropped to the Rangers because we could afford to sign him. And even if he is only half as good as Malkin or Ovechkin than that's still pretty damn good.

Archived