Nolan out as Islander coach

faba

ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 14, 2008, 1:11 PM ET

New York Islanders coach Ted Nolan has agreed to step down after two turbulent years with the team.

Nolan's departure came after a mutual decision with general manager Garth Snow. Nolan had one year left on his contract with the Isles.

"Ted has helped us achieve some success over the last two seasons, however it has become clear that we have philosophical differences and have decided together to part ways," said Snow in a statement released Monday. "Since last season and continuing into the summer, I have realized we do not share the same philosophies. I would like to thank Ted for his two years with the team and wish him the best."

"I have a list of several qualified candidates. After a thorough process, we will hire the very best coach to lead the Islanders on the ice."

There had been a growing rift between Nolan and Snow throughout last season when the Islanders failed to make the playoffs. Snow said he felt the team was underachieving, while Nolan countered that he lacked adequate personnel.

"While I am disappointed I will not be coaching the Islanders next season, there have been philosophical differences and we've agreed it's a good time for me to move on," Nolan said in the statement. I want to thank the Islanders organization for giving me a chance to coach in the NHL again. I have tremendous respect for what the team is trying to do and I wish them well."

Their only goal is to stay competitive. For the 8th spot.

And Wang is hoping to clear enough cap room so they can sign Lebron James.

Barry Bonds is going to sign a contract tomorrow. What a horrible move by the Islanders to wait this long.

Their only goal is to stay competitive. For the 8th spot.

And Wang is hoping to clear enough cap room so they can sign Lebron James.

I hear Lastings Milledge has a lot of potential at right wing.

:confused: I'm , I'm , I'm just so confused right now......:)

:confused: I'm , I'm , I'm just so confused right now......:)

I'll explain to you...

You see the Islanders owner, Charles "Little" Wang doesnt know anything about hockey. He wanted to make sumo wrestlers goalies.

So since it seems like every NBA team is trying to clear cap room for LeBron James, I figured "Wangie" would see this and jump on the bandwagon too, even if he didnt know who James was..

Just having a little fun with my lousy owner.

I'll explain to you...

You see the Islanders owner, Charles "Little" Wang doesnt know anything about hockey. He wanted to make sumo wrestlers goalies.

So since it seems like every NBA team is trying to clear cap room for LeBron James, I figured "Wangie" would see this and jump on the bandwagon too, even if he didnt know who James was..

Just having a little fun with my lousy owner.

Actually the sumo wrestler goalie thing isn't a bad idea. As long as he wears regulation pads there's nothing they can do about it. ;)

Archived