Best available DT's?

R44

...per DD.com

DT Ron Edwards: Productive backup, who may be needed in Buffalo, if Pat Williams flees in free agency. 25 years old, with decent upside potential. A player to watch. (R44) (4 sacks as a backup).

DT James Reed-- "Tank" Reed played very well in situational duty and should be re-signed to take over the position likely to be vacated by Jason Fergeson. High motor and great leverage makes up for lack of size. (Bitonti)

DT Jason Ferguson-- Underated defensive tackle is looking to make a big free agent splash on the open market, and as evidenced by his refusal of 4 known offers from the New York Jets, is likely to go that route. Great production coupled by attractive age (29) will make Fergie the darling of early movers looking to upgrade their defensive line. (Bitonti)

DT Tony Williams: Big, run-stopping defensive tackle, who was injured during a Monday Night game. Was off to a decent start (16 tackles in 6 games). If he's healthy, Cincinnati may welcome him back at a reduced price.(R44)

DT Luther Elliss: 32 year old backup defensive tackle, who 7 had tackles and 2 sacks in 2004. Was once a impact player for the Detriot Lions, but injuries and age have wreaked havoc on his skills. If healthy, he could be a decent rotational player for someone.(R44)

DT Leonardo Carson-- Versatile defensive tackle had a decent year, starting 15 games at the position. Not a superstar but a solid starter that has decent run-stopping ability and can even rush the passer a little. Nontheless, could be let go as the Cowboys look to upgrade the defensive line through free agency and the draft. (Bitonti)

DT Lance Legree-- Due to a rash of injuries, the 27 year old Legree logged significant time with the Giants in 2004. Had a career high in tackles (22) and sacks (2) in 2004. Should be retained as a backup, at least.(R44)

DT Joe Salave'a-- 30 year old defensive tackle took advantage of Brandon Noble's injury to seize a starting role for Washington and played fairly well. It was the first time he started regularly in his 7 season NFL career. It's likely the Redskins would welcome him back at the right price.(R44)

DT Marcus Bell-- Marcus was key in the Lions defensive line rotation, which was one of the strongest in the entire NFL. He was strong against the run, and could command a double team, which opens up the defensive ends. (Shadow 19)

DT Chris Hovan-- Not too long ago, Hovan was a Pro Bowl caliber player and a rising star. However, he's struggled recently and fell out of favor with the coaching staff. He won't be back in Minnesota. Some feel he may look to Arizona, in order to play for his former coach Dennis Green. Deserves a second chance in a new system, as he's only 26.(R44)

DT Kenny Smith (N.O)-- Coming off of major rotator cuff surgery, the club will have to see how Kenny's rehab is going to gage his prospects of contributing to the Saints defensive tackle rotation - which badly needs help. (Bitonti)

DT Chartric Darby-- Short, but very tough lineman who will turn 30 season during the next season. If comes back to the Bucs, will he be a starter or a key back-up?(R44)

DT Ross Kolodziej: Where not 100% sure if Kolodziej is a unrestricted or restricted free agent, due to differing media reports. But because he was a 7th round pick in 2001 by the Giants, we'll add him anyway--because he'd be a cheap pick up as a restricted free agent. Feel good story of the Cardinals pre-season, who really caught the eyes of the coaches and fans with his 100% effort style. When the 2004 season came, Kolodziej had a few starts, but didn't play a whole lot. Cardinals could use a few more players like Kolodziej, who play hard at all times. Could help a team as a rotational player.(R44)

##########

Defensive Tackles

Top 10

Rank Name Team

1. Corey Simon* Philadelphia

2. Jason Ferguson New York (A)

3. Seth Payne Houston

4. Pat Williams Buffalo

5. Ron Edwards Buffalo

6. Chris Hovan Minnesota

7. Joe Salave'a Washington

8. Leonardo Carson Dallas

9. Lance Legree New York (N)

10. Tony Williams Cincinnati

Rigs, you the man. Buffalo scuttlebutt on Edwards is that he's a lock to remain with the Bills. Dammit.

Awesome work, my man. I swear you should be paid for this stuff.

Reading his post i'd swear that R44 works for a team. Outstanding work, and knowledge! How do you get your inside stuff on the Steelers? I don't believe i could dispute anything you've ever said about the Steelers FO wants and Player info. Just amazing, especially for a Jets fan! Keep up the good work, i enjoy reading your posts.

DT Tony Williams: Big, run-stopping defensive tackle, who was injured during a Monday Night game. Was off to a decent start (16 tackles in 6 games). If he's healthy, Cincinnati may welcome him back at a reduced price.(R44)

RIGHT THERE. That is the man we need to pursue.

Height: 6-2

Weight: 339 lbs.

Pos: Defensive Tackle

Born: June 1, 1979, Memphis, TN

Drafted: 2001, 4th Round, 28th Pick by Arizona Cardinals.

Experience: 4 years

College: Memphis

Scouts Inc. Scouting Report

2004 Scouting Report - Football Scouts Inc.

Name: Marcus Bell

Position: Defensive Tackle

Grade: 67 | Key

Alert: None

Comment:

Bell makes most of his plays when he is on the move. He is better than you might think at slipping blocks, he has good first step quickness off the snap of the ball, the less that he has to get into a short area fist fight, the better and more destructive he can be. He plays hard, and he is very competitive when he is not tired, he is a good inside tackler. The problem with Bell is, he appears to be playing too heavy, he gets sluggish at times, and will disappear from games. As good as Bell is, he just does not fit in a two-gap scheme. Needs to be on the move and shoot gaps to be effective. If he continues to play at his current weight, he will be nothing more than a big sluggish body inside. Better conditioning, a loss of weight, and a new scheme could all be huge benefits for Bell and could dramatically improve his production in 2004.

This is little old from Scouts Inc. on Bell from Detroit but some info on him

Thanks men...first, let me say, Bitonti did a few of those write ups, so I wasn't alone :twisted:

Also, SShadow19 did all the Lions info--he's great.

Paul, before I do most of the teams, I do a safety check for facts. I usually use the Pitt Tribune, to make sure my facts are close.

Gotta check...Me and RSHerry are doing "cap cuts" to be up soon...And yesterday I wrote "Rodney Peete will retire"...Went to do a check on another Panther, and it claims Peete is very likely coming back :shock:

Section, Williams made like over $2 mill. per....When I double checked him at a Bengals B-Board, it seemed fans didn't even seem to care about him--not really a player they liked for his play.

But he's got something, so we'll see?

Thanks men...first, let me say, Bitonti did a few of those write ups, so I wasn't alone :twisted:

Paul, before I do most of the teams, I do a safety check for facts. I usually use the Pitt Tribune, to make sure my facts are close.

My advice is do not trust anything Mark Madden has to say on Steelers matters. This guy is as controversial as they come, IMO. He's been a cancer in the burgh area for as long as i can remember. I don't think he does much Trib work these days but just giving ya fair warning from someone in the know on this idiot.

Archived