Jets news and other football articles 7/26/08

Kentucky Jet

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Posted: 3:47 am

July 26, 2008

This was a day Vernon Gholston should have dominated the headlines from JetsNew York Jets training camp.

After all, the sixth overall pick in the draft, after missing the first day of camp with his contract not yet completed, worked in his first practice yesterday.

That was news - good news for the Jets - but the revelation that the Jets are considering a trade for Brett Favre superceded the appearance of their top draft pick.

Gholston, a linebacker out of Ohio State, signed his five-year contract worth some $50 million with incentives yesterday morning and was on the field for the afternoon practice.

Both coach Eric Mangini and GM Mike Tannenbaum, after being peppered with Favre questions, asked reporters, "Does anyone want to talk about Gholston?"

There'll be plenty of time for that. For the moment, Gholston merely is trying to make up for time lost while he missed some OTA and minicamp work because of school commitments.

"I'm definitely a step behind," Gholston said . "It's something I have to deal with. I'm definitely playing catch-up. Once I do that, I hope I can bring something to this team."

Gholston, asked about his massive contract, claimed he didn't know the figures.

When told it was a big contract, he said, "I'm sure it's more than what I had before."

"I was never motivated by money," he said. "I played at Ohio State for free. Where I was picked [in the draft] you just get a big payday."

Danny Woodhead, the record-setting rookie free agent RB from Chadron State in Nebraska, appeared to injure his left leg during a drill yesterday. He was carried off the field by fellow RBs Thomas JonesThomas Jones and Tony Richardson.

Kellen ClemensKellen Clemens closed out practice with a long pass completion to David Clowney in two-minute drills. It should have been a TD, but Clowney stepped out of bounds at the 1.

July 25, 2008

Report: Jets seek trade for Favre

According to an ESPN report yesterday, the JetsNew York Jets have received permission to talk to retired Packers quarterback Brett Favre about a trade to bring him to New York.

Jets head coach Eric Mangini was predictably evasive when asked about the report.

DEAL NOT FAVRE-FETCHED

By MARK CANNIZZARO

July 26, 2008

JetsNew York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum has always lived by a particular mantra when it comes to improving the team.

"Leave no stone unturned," Tannenbaum has often said.

Well, it appears the Jets are looking under a rather prodigious stone and considering a fascinating decision that could turn this 2008 season into something compelling and special.

According to an ESPN report, the Jets have received permission to talk to retired Packers quarterback Brett Favre about a trade that would bring him to New York.

It's a report that that Jets did not deny was true.

In fact, Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum felt the topic was so sensitive that he spoke to Chad PenningtonChad Pennington and Kellen ClemensKellen Clemens after practice to apprise them of the situation.

Pennington then divulged more information than either Tannenbaum or Eric Mangini would, revealing that Tannenbaum told him the Packers called the Jets to gauge their interest.

"He just let me know exactly what the situation was," Pennington said. "[Tannenbaum said] they received a call. Other than that, my whole focus is on this camp and winning the starting quarterback job. As a player you never react until it's actually done."

Tannenbaum said he "tried to have good communication" with the two players.

"I don't try to address every rumor every day with every player, but I did feel that, given the high profile of the Brett Favre name, that this was a unique situation and to be proactive and talk to the players first," Tannenbaum said. "Out of respect to the players I wanted to give them the heads up and hear it from me."

Tannenbaum, however, declined to confirm or deny the Jets' interest in Favre, leaving the possibility of the Jets striking a deal for him wide open.

"Conversations with other teams would remain private," Tannenbaum said. "We have conversations with lot of teams about lot of things and scenarios."

Mangini echoed Tannenbaum's evasiveness on the subject, further opening up speculation that the Jets are very interested in Favre.

"With all discussions, those things are internal and that hasn't changed," he said. "Mike and I talk every night about lot of different things and we always keep it internal."

This stunning news comes one day after Mangini was quoted as saying he was happy with Pennington and Clemens, indicating the Jets were not looking to upgrade the quarterback position.

"I feel same way as I felt [Thursday]," Mangini said. "Nothing has changed."

Nothing except the fact that the Jets are at least looking into making over the face of their franchise.

Favre, who retired amid a pool of tears in March, has made it clear to the Packers that he wants to return and play at least another year. The Packers, who have committed to Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, have been lukewarm at best about having Favre return and that has precipitated the trade talks. Favre has reportedly told the Packers he plans to report to the team's training camp this weekend, a move obviously in place to force the Packers' hand in a trade or release.

The Packers, who own Favre's rights through the 2010 season, have made it clear they have no plans to give Favre his outright release - most probably because he'd end up signing with their division-rival Vikings. That's why a trade to the Jets, out of conference, is attractive to the Packers, who will seek a first-round draft pick for him but will likely have to settle for a second-rounder.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

JETS SHOW 4-SIGHT

GANG GREEN BRASS SHOULD SAY CHEESE

BET ON BRETT: The Jets, who haven't won a championship in 40years, would have the best chance to end that streak if they make a trade for Brett Favre.

July 26, 2008

ALBANY - It's this simple: Brett Favre gives the JetsNew York Jets the best chance to topple the Patriots and get to the Super Bowl. A better chance than Chad PenningtonChad Pennington or Kellen ClemensKellen Clemens .

So to Woody Johnson, to Mike Tannenbaum, and to Eric Mangini, I shout today from the top of the Empire State Building:

Go 4 It!

Until yesterday, when Favre officially renounced his premature retirement plans, the idea that Favre might wind up under center behind Nick Mangold was little more than a pipe dream.

But yesterday, Weeb Ewbank Hall was smoking it.

The Jets would be doing their fan base, which is about to get socked with those insidious PSL fees, a disservice if they showed up now as green-and-white ostriches in the Brett Favre horse race.

Favre has won one Super Bowl - that ties him with the Jets - taken the Packers to one Super Bowl, and only Corey Webster and the Miracle Giants kept him from reaching Super Bowl XLII.

J-E-T-S: Just Electrify The Stadium.

The mere presence of the fabled old gunslinger would show players and fans alike that the Jets are in Win Now mode and are Going 4 It.

After spending over $140 million in free agency, Favre would be the final piece of the puzzle. He would add an unmistakable swagger to the huddle and buzz to the franchise.

For Mike Tannenbaum, trapped in the shadow of the Super Bowl champion Giants, this would be the kind of power play that Omar Minaya, trapped in the shadow of the Yankees, effected when he signed Pedro Martinez four years ago and Johan Santana before the start of this season.

The idea is to win a championship. The Jets haven't won one in 40 years. To most Jets fans, it only seems like 4 Ever.

The Jets, by adding Alan Faneca and Damien Woody to their emerging offensive line, can now establish Thomas Jones and Leon Washington on the ground and keep Favre, who happens to be the Cal Ripken of his sport, upright.

It would be too late for Favre to lobby management to sign Randy Moss, but he'll like Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery enough, and No. 1B draft pick TE Dustin Keller has a chance to be prolific. Gang Green, with Calvin Pace and No. 1A draft pick Vernon Gholston rushing the quarterback and David Harris and Kris Jenkins stuffing the run, will be drastically improved.

Even if Favre commits to two years and changes his mind after one, at least Clemens, who isn't ready, will be able to learn under him before he is asked to take off the Huggies.

Sadly, because of all the blood he has shed for the organization, risking his career by playing on with that shredded wheat rotator cuff, it would mark the end of Pennington, who would likely land on his feet in Minnesota with a legitimate Super Bowl chance.

Brett The Jet would be hailed as The Messiah, the toast and talk of the town (at least until his first reckless interception, but he doesn't have to know that about fickle Jet fans right now). Favre would undoubtedly warm to the sight of Fireman Ed atop his brother's shoulders leading his J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS chant clad in an FDNY cheesehead.

Tannenbaum and Mangini can seal the deal by telling Favre there are absolutely more Cajun restaurants in New York and New Jersey than there are in Green Bay.

With the Jets, there are never any guarantees - ask Bill Parcells, whose 1999 Super Bowl run ended before it began on Opening Day when Vinny Testaverde tore his Achilles. But Favre would give the Jets hope, and juice, and an arm, even at 38, that can cut through the swirling Giants Stadium winds. And who knows? It might even drive Bill Belichick, nervous about his secondary with Asante Samuel gone to the Eagles, to embark on some ultra-secret Spygate II.

Go 4 It.

steve.serby@nypost.com

BY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

July 26, 2008

As the questions continued to focus on a singular topic, Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum good-naturedly decided to ask the reporters surrounding him a question.

"Anyone interested in talking about Vernon?" Tannenbaum said, almost in a pleading tone.

Oh, right, Vernon. As in Vernon Gholston, the Jets' top pick from April - and the No. 6 overall pick in the draft - who officially signed his deal early Friday morning and had just run through his first training camp practice that afternoon. His contract, which Tannenbaum called "extraordinarily long and complicated" and "north of 50 pages," reportedly is a five-year deal that could balloon, with escalators, to as much as $50 million. The contract has $21 million guaranteed.

"I still don't really know the whole numbers," Gholston said. "My agent [ben Dogra] told me I was good to go and to go ahead and sign it."

Gholston paused and smiled.

"I'm sure it [the money] is more than I had before."

Surely.

The Jets' top pick last year, cornerback Darrelle Revis, missed the first 20 days of training camp in a contract dispute, the primary obstacle being the Jets' insistence on a sixth year. Did the Jets acquiesce with Gholston's contract?

"Without getting into specifics, the collective-bargaining agreement has changed a little bit," Tannenbaum said. "It just made sense to do the deal we did. It was a good landing spot for both sides."

Gholston landed in Friday afternoon's practice with his head swimming a bit. He missed the first day of training camp, and his participation in the team's offseason program was minimal because of the length of the Ohio State school year.

"I am definitely playing catch-up," Gholston said. "I am just trying to focus on the football part. Once I do that, hopefully I can be a good player. I'm just a guy willing to go out there and play hard and get everything under my belt."

That process, he said, would comprise his Friday night plans.

"I'll do some extra studying," he said.

Notes & quotes: RBs Musa Smith and Jesse Chatman, both of whom missed Thursday's practices on the non-football injury list (usually indicative of a failed conditioning test), practiced Friday . . . The Jets have two practices Saturday, at 8:45 a.m. and 5:45 p.m.

Jets would be smart to chase Favre

By Sam Borden • Journal News columnist • July 26, 2008

Brett Favre has spent the past month or so looking a little bit silly. He has been wishy-washy, self-centered and completely unfair to the Packers, their fans, and everyone else who has had to sit through breathless updates about whether or not his career really, truly is over. In short, he has handled his "retirement" about as well as he handled overtime of last season's NFC championship game against the Giants.

That said, the Jets would be foolish not to make a play for him, a serious play, and try to bring him in as their starting quarterback in 2008.

Understand, this isn't about whether Favre deserves to be traded. He doesn't. The best thing the Packers could do is simply tell Favre to either retire or live up to the contract he signed, which means showing up and doing whatever the coaches in Green Bay tell him to do, including be a backup if that's what they want. Professional athletes often seem to be under the illusion that binding contracts don't apply to them; they sign, then later make demands about trades or hold out for an extension, as if they are owed something more. They're not. Just like Favre isn't owed anything more, not after he decided to retire and set the Packers' plans for the future in motion. They moved on, named Aaron Rodgers their starter. They planned to retire Favre's number. They thought he was done.

Now he wants to come back and the Packers, not wanting to endure a season-long spectacle, are taking bids. The Jets, according to reports yesterday, are one of the teams that have received permission to talk to Favre about a contract as a precursor to potentially working out a trade.

Truthfully, it's an easy call for them. Adding Favre provides an instant credibility and buzz to the Jets, who would have a legitimate NFL icon leading them (despite that icon's poor choices this offseason). They would have a jersey seller and a true superstar. They would have a built-in reason for non-fans to watch them.

Beyond that, they'd also have a better quarterback. Currently the quarterback job is between Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens, and head coach Eric Mangini may take the entire training camp to make up his mind. Putting aside the notion that having a quarterback controversy isn't a good idea to begin with (position battles are healthy at every spot except quarterback), Favre becoming an option would offer the cleanest, quickest and best solution possible: Cut Pennington and allow Clemens to learn behind Favre for a year or two.

As much potential as Clemens has shown - and he absolutely has shown plenty - is there anyone who would really pick him to start a game over Favre, even at age 38?

"To do what he did last year shows he still has plenty left in the tank," said Giants defensive end Justin Tuck, who saw Favre pass for 236 yards and two touchdowns in the NFC championship game before melting down in the extra period.

"Throwing balls 65-70 yards," Tuck said, "to me, if he does play football, I really don't see any drop-off in him."

The consensus is that the Jets are an attractive target for the Packers because they are in the AFC and thus present minimal opportunity for Favre to ever directly face the Packers in the future (barring Super Bowl appearances by both teams). The expected price for Favre is said to be a reasonably high draft pick or two (say, second round) sent to the Packers and then $12 million or so to Favre for next season, a number that would ostensibly be offset by the approximately $6 million saved after cutting Pennington. Neither of those costs is prohibitive. Plus, the Jets have considerably upgraded their offensive line this offseason, signing Alan Faneca to join solid D'Brickashaw Ferguson, so it stands to reason that they'd like the best possible quarterback playing behind those investments.

There's also reason to believe that Favre's presence could make running back Thomas Jones better, since the last time he played behind a strong offensive line in Chicago (in 2006), he rushed for 1,210 yards despite having erratic Rex Grossman as his quarterback. If defenses are forced to hedge on stopping the run to make sure they're not letting Favre pass freely, Jones' ability to break free should only be enhanced.

It all makes too much sense. Of course, Jets officials spent Thursday doing everything they could to shoot down the Favre story. Mangini said he was happy with the quarterbacks he has in camp. Then comes yesterday, and word about the Jets receiving permission to talk to Favre; Mangini got slippery when he was asked about that one, refusing to confirm or deny.

That's fine. The Jets can say anything they want publicly, do anything they want privately. With the Packers set to open camp tomorrow, this story appears mercifully headed for a conclusion.

Whatever happens, Favre hasn't handled himself the way a star athlete should, the way a player who is adored as much as he is should. He screwed this up badly. But now it's time to move on. If the Jets are smart, they'll do everything they can to make sure Favre goes from Green Bay to Gang Green.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reach Sam Borden at sborden@lohud.com.

Favre talk shakes up Jets' camp Saturday, July 26, 2008 BY J.P. PELZMANSTAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - Now this is an audible.

After Friday's practice, quarterback Chad Pennington told reporters that general manager Mike Tannenbaum told him the Jets had received a call from Green Bay regarding Brett Favre, who wants to come out of retirement and resume his NFL career.

Pennington said that based on what Tannenbaum told him, the Jets "received a call [from the Packers]. That's what I know. Other than that, I really don't have any feelings on it at all."

ESPN had reported earlier in the day that the Jets have received permission from the Packers to talk to Favre about a possible trade, and that the Jets and Tampa Bay have expressed interest in acquiring the future Hall of Famer. Favre has asked for his release from the Packers, but they have refused. He is under contract with Green Bay for three more seasons.

Pennington's comments, which Tannenbaum chose not to confirm or deny, were the only on-the-record statements by anyone with the Jets confirming their interest in the 38-year-old legend.

According to The Associated Press, as of Friday night, the NFL had not received a formal letter from Favre requesting reinstatement from commissioner Roger Goodell. Favre is on the Packers' reserve/retired list and would have to be reinstated before he could be dealt.

"I did have a good conversation with Chad," Tannenbaum said. "I did have a good conversation with Kellen [Clemens]. Those conversations are private, but I thought they were good conversations just to keep everybody on the same page."

Reports have suggested that the Packers would want at least a first-round pick in the 2008 draft, a steep price that might take the Jets out of the running.

From what Pennington said, it sounded as if he didn't receive any reassurance from Tannenbaum that the Jets aren't interested in Favre.

"Bottom line, an organization has to take a look at every player available in this league. Period," Pennington said. "A general manager and a head coach [are] going to do everything they can do to make their team as good as they can make it. That's their job.

"That's why it doesn't bother me," Pennington added. "It's part of the business. It's part of being a professional."

Neither Tannenbaum nor coach Eric Mangini would confirm or deny the Jets' interest in Favre, both citing their policy of keeping personnel and internal matter private. Still, both were given chances to quash the speculation, and chose not to do that.

Tannenbaum did explain why he talked to both Pennington and Clemens, who are competing for the starting quarterback job.

"I don't try to address every rumor, every day with every player," he said. "I did feel given the high-profileness of Brett Favre's name, I felt like this was a fairly unique situation in that I wanted to be proactive and that they hear it from me first."

Clemens indicated he isn't worrying about the speculation.

"That's really kind of an issue that I think Coach Mangini and Mr. Tannenbaum are dealing with," the third-year veteran said.

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - Now this is an audible.

After Friday's practice, quarterback Chad Pennington told reporters that general manager Mike Tannenbaum told him the Jets had received a call from Green Bay regarding Brett Favre, who wants to come out of retirement and resume his NFL career.

Pennington said that based on what Tannenbaum told him, the Jets "received a call [from the Packers]. That's what I know. Other than that, I really don't have any feelings on it at all."

ESPN had reported earlier in the day that the Jets have received permission from the Packers to talk to Favre about a possible trade, and that the Jets and Tampa Bay have expressed interest in acquiring the future Hall of Famer. Favre has asked for his release from the Packers, but they have refused. He is under contract with Green Bay for three more seasons.

Pennington's comments, which Tannenbaum chose not to confirm or deny, were the only on-the-record statements by anyone with the Jets confirming their interest in the 38-year-old legend.

According to The Associated Press, as of Friday night, the NFL had not received a formal letter from Favre requesting reinstatement from commissioner Roger Goodell. Favre is on the Packers' reserve/retired list and would have to be reinstated before he could be dealt.

"I did have a good conversation with Chad," Tannenbaum said. "I did have a good conversation with Kellen [Clemens]. Those conversations are private, but I thought they were good conversations just to keep everybody on the same page."

Reports have suggested that the Packers would want at least a first-round pick in the 2008 draft, a steep price that might take the Jets out of the running.

From what Pennington said, it sounded as if he didn't receive any reassurance from Tannenbaum that the Jets aren't interested in Favre.

"Bottom line, an organization has to take a look at every player available in this league. Period," Pennington said. "A general manager and a head coach [are] going to do everything they can do to make their team as good as they can make it. That's their job.

"That's why it doesn't bother me," Pennington added. "It's part of the business. It's part of being a professional."

Neither Tannenbaum nor coach Eric Mangini would confirm or deny the Jets' interest in Favre, both citing their policy of keeping personnel and internal matter private. Still, both were given chances to quash the speculation, and chose not to do that.

Tannenbaum did explain why he talked to both Pennington and Clemens, who are competing for the starting quarterback job.

"I don't try to address every rumor, every day with every player," he said. "I did feel given the high-profileness of Brett Favre's name, I felt like this was a fairly unique situation in that I wanted to be proactive and that they hear it from me first."

Clemens indicated he isn't worrying about the speculation.

"That's really kind of an issue that I think Coach Mangini and Mr. Tannenbaum are dealing with," the third-year veteran said.

At any price, it's a no-brainer for Eric Mangini, Jets to grab Brett Favre

Friday, July 25th 2008, 11:21 PM

Roemer/AP

Brett Favre's comeback road may end in Swamp as Jets and Packers talk trade Friday.

Warga/News

Chad Pennington (r.) and Kellen Clemens may be making way for Brett Favre soon.

It is not even a debatable issue that the Jets go after Brett Favre with everything they have, that they move heaven and earth and Chad Pennington - in no particular order - to get him. Even at 38, Brett Favre does something that Coach Mangini doesn't do and Mike Tannenbaum, the boy-wonder general manager, doesn't do, and Kellen Clemens doesn't do. He makes them relevant again.

You don't bet on the Jets, because they're the Jets. But they have to try. They have to try because right now they are as much the Other Team as they have been in all the years since Joe Namath won them the one and only Super Bowl in which they ever played. They have been in operation for almost 50 years.

The Mets are on much more equal footing with the Yankees than the Jets are with the Giants, the Giants as big right now as they have ever been, coming off as memorable and important a season as any team with "New York" in front of its name has ever had. The Jets are what the Rangers were in hockey before they won the Stanley Cup in 1994. That is it, exactly. The Jets are January of 1969 the way the Rangers used to be 1940, the chants about 1940 they would hear from Islanders fans.

I hear that Favre might not fit into the Eric Mangini "system." What system is that? The Jets showed surprising early speed and made it to the playoffs in Mangini's first season before losing to the Patriots in Foxborough. We were all quick to turn the guy into at least half-a-genius. Or just Coach Mangenius.

The coach was vague Friday when asked about Favre. Of course he was. But then this is an operation that wouldn't even tell you which knee Jonathan Vilma injured one time. That is part of the Jets' system, too, but there is no system until you do something more than get a single playoff game. The Jets were irrelevant after the first month of last season, then were completely forgotten when the Giants began the greatest run out of December any pro football team has ever made.

The only time this coach and this team made real news last year, when you add it all up, was with SpyGate.

The Giants are bigger than ever because they were the best finishers we've ever had around here, winning four straight playoff games as underdogs, winning in Tampa and Texas Stadium and Lambeau Field before they beat Mangini's mentor, Coach Belichick, and Tom Brady, and the 18-0 Patriots in the most dramatic Super Bowl game ever played. And the Jets are supposed to fight back with Mangini's system and Kellen Clemens and Chad Pennington?

Page 2 of 2)

Of course you go after Favre, and hope he plays as long as the contract the Packers still hold on him, which means three years. Of course you move Pennington if that is what it takes to beat out the Bucs and whomever else will be in play for Favre's services. You get Favre and your fans are as excited to play the season as Giants fans are. And that is saying plenty.

And it is not as if the Jets have their own version of Eli Manning ready to step in and lead them to the playoffs, even with the talent the Jets have added in the offseason, especially up front, and the money they have spent. I know they like Clemens' size and toughness and arm. They still don't know what they have, whether you can build a program around the kid. And might not know at the end of this season.

Now they have a chance at Favre. They have a chance to get the only quarterback in Jets history you even put in the same conversation with Namath. In all the years since, it has been Richard Todd and Matt Robinson and Ken O'Brien, Browning Nagle and an aging Boomer Esiason and Vinny Testaverde, even if they did get a career year out of Vinny, saw him give them the best year any quarterback had given them since Namath. Now the Jets' quarterbacks are Pennington and Clemens.

Favre is a star maybe coming in here at a time when the Giants are the stars of their sport because of what they did last season, who they beat on the way to the Super Bowl and how they beat them. He is the kind of star who makes the Jets feel like a real player again, not in some season down the road, but the one they are about to play.

The Jets still play in the same conference with the Patriots and Colts and Chargers. Favre, if he wants to win now, has a better chance of making the Super Bowl with the Bucs. Maybe the Jets, being the Jets, will find a way to make a mess out of this. They still have to try.

Moving up on 40 years since Namath now. Moving up on being in business for half a century and having only Namath to show for it. They have to take a full shot at No. 4. Sometimes in sports a quick fix isn't against the law.

Sperm, can you post the news for me tomorrow please?

I'll do it, KJ.

Thanks for doing this all the time!

KJ you're fantastic with this & we don't say it enough. Little things like reformatting the article after it's copied/pasted so it skips lines between paragraphs. It takes time, and we're all appreciative.

One of us will pick up the slack in your absence.

KJ you're fantastic with this & we don't say it enough. Little things like reformatting the article after it's copied/pasted so it skips lines between paragraphs. It takes time, and we're all appreciative.

One of us will pick up the slack in your absence.

I agree..hey Nick you should ask Max for that raise-don't be afraid of him-be bold like Jack Lemmon was to Jimmy Cagnery at the end of Mister Roberts

Archived