Interesting article on Manny by Grandma Gammons

anskyruben

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3508405&name=gammons_peter&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d3508405%26name%3dgammons_peter

Everyone in the clubhouse knows the names. Joba Chamberlain (twice), Felix Hernandez (twice), Edinson Volquez, Justin Verlander -- pitchers that Manny Ramirez didn't feel quite right to face, be it a knee, a hamstring, his contract or the pitcher's velocity, and those he left for someone else in the Red Sox "family" to face.

If this is really the case, the guy is a punk and is dropping his value on the FA market

He knows that this winter -- when he's 36, turning 37 next May -- he has a better chance of scoring the four-year, $100M deal he has told teammates he can get than he will after the 2010 season, when he'll be 38 turning 39. He doesn't want to have to sweat for two years at a measly $20M, and everyone knows that he couldn't care less how he gets that $100M, even if it means sitting out and leaving "family" fighting it out without him.

When is enough , enough? I asked the same of Arod.

A group of Red Sox watched the Yankees take early batting practice Friday, and they complimented the way Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Bobby Abreu and Johnny Damon show up every day. "Say what you want about A-Rod," said one, "but he plays every day and he plays his behind off."

If this is accurate, his own team is turning against him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3508405&name=gammons_peter&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d3508405%26name%3dgammons_peter

If this is really the case, the guy is a punk and is dropping his value on the FA market

When is enough , enough? I asked the same of Arod.

If this is accurate, his own team is turning against him.

You can deal with crazy when he is hitting .320 w/45 HRs and 140 RBIs.

When crazy is only hitting .300 and on pace for 30HRs and 100 RBIs it becomes a little more difficult to swallow his crap.

I think he is on crack if believes he can get 25 million per year.

You can deal with crazy when he is hitting .320 w/45 HRs and 140 RBIs.

When crazy is only hitting .300 and on pace for 30HRs and 100 RBIs it becomes a little more difficult to swallow his crap.

I think he is on crack if believes he can get 25 million per year.

It will be real hard for him to get even 20 mil a year. He's already one of the top 5 salary guys in baseball.

It will take a GM who is in danger of losing his job combined with a major hole in left field plus a new source of revenue coming in.... omar maybe??? :D

You guys are going to take what that Red Sox Mouth-piece - Gammons - has to say? You're kidding, right? He's just another vehicle Larry, Theo and Co. ride from time to time.

Of course, Gammons is well respected. He would never sell his soul to do the dirty work of the front office. Never.;)

The only good thing that will come of all this is Manny will play hard for the next 2 months. Then when the Sawx make the WS again they will have no choice but to pick up his option.

It will be real hard for him to get even 20 mil a year. He's already one of the top 5 salary guys in baseball.

It will take a GM who is in danger of losing his job combined with a major hole in left field plus a new source of revenue coming in.... omar maybe??? :D

I agree.

I think he will be lucky to get 15 per. If he did not have all that baggage that would be one thing but "Manny being Manny" is bringing his price down.

I agree.

I think he will be lucky to get 15 per. If he did not have all that baggage that would be one thing but "Manny being Manny" is bringing his price down.

Manny being Manny wouldn't be an issue if he was 28. What will keep the price down is his age. C'mon now, people.

Realistically.

Who else would be the perfect protection for Ortiz? Tex and Holliday are close, and younger, but they aren't yet Manny. Manny, for all his antics and shortcomings, may be one of the greatest RH hitters in Baseball history. Mays, Aaron, and others are not all that much ahead of Manny in the run production arena. I know - different eras - but it is tough to argue with what Manny has done.

Take Manny out of Fenway, and the Yankees celebrate. Break up the Ortiz - Manny duo, and it does make the Bosox weaker, no matter who is put there in his place.

Realistically.

Who else would be the perfect protection for Ortiz? Tex and Holliday are close, and younger, but they aren't yet Manny. Manny, for all his antics and shortcomings, may be one of the greatest RH hitters in Baseball history. Mays, Aaron, and others are not all that much ahead of Manny in the run production arena. I know - different eras - but it is tough to argue with what Manny has done.

Take Manny out of Fenway, and the Yankees celebrate. Break up the Ortiz - Manny duo, and it does make the Bosox weaker, no matter who is put there in his place.

There is no doubt it is a plus for the Yanks and degrades Big Papi and the Sox. Manny was great. Is he still great?

As I said before, when he is being petulant like he is every year now, it is easier to stomach when he is a .320 hitter with 40+ homeruns and 140+ RBIs and not taking off big games. However when he is a .300 hitter and a 30 HR guy w/100 RBIs and taking off big games that is a problem. Plus, he is 36.

The Sox have 6 everyday players who are over 32. Youk is 29. Why not make a run at a guy like Grady Sizemore who is coming into his prime then dealing with a guy closing in on 40 that is becoming more of a problem? Sox ight have been better to keep Pedro, but they cut him loose and went and got Beckett. They are not going to find an able body replacement for Manny short of Pujols. It is not going to happen.

However, they can spend some of that 20 million on 2-3 players entering their prime.

There is no doubt it is a plus for the Yanks and degrades Big Papi and the Sox. Manny was great. Is he still great?

As I said before, when he is being petulant like he is every year now, it is easier to stomach when he is a .320 hitter with 40+ homeruns and 140+ RBIs and not taking off big games. However when he is a .300 hitter and a 30 HR guy w/100 RBIs and taking off big games that is a problem. Plus, he is 36.

The Sox have 6 everyday players who are over 32. Youk is 29. Why not make a run at a guy like Grady Sizemore who is coming into his prime then dealing with a guy closing in on 40 that is becoming more of a problem? Sox ight have been better to keep Pedro, but they cut him loose and went and got Beckett. They are not going to find an able body replacement for Manny short of Pujols. It is not going to happen.

However, they can spend some of that 20 million on 2-3 players entering their prime.

I suppose I'm inclined to agree. Im a big Manny fan, and I want everything to just work itself out, but that looks more and more unlikely, unfortunately. If it is someone along the lines of Sizemore, I'd be pretty happy with that I suppose. The thought of not having Manny in the lineup is unsettling though...but what are ya gonna do?

I have no doubt that this is all Scott Boras' doing. Manny just signed with him this offseason, and Boras makes no money off of Manny's current contract. If the Sox pick up his option, Boras doesn't get a piece of it. Couple that with the front office of the Sox to slam players on the way out, and this is the situation we get.

I have no doubt that this is all Scott Boras' doing. Manny just signed with him this offseason, and Boras makes no money off of Manny's current contract. If the Sox pick up his option, Boras doesn't get a piece of it. Couple that with the front office of the Sox to slam players on the way out, and this is the situation we get.

Not bad, Thorpy, not bad at all.:shake:

Realistically.

1 Who else would be the perfect protection for Ortiz? Tex and Holliday are close, and younger, but they aren't yet Manny.

2 Manny, for all his antics and shortcomings, may be one of the greatest RH hitters in Baseball history.

1-Holliday is younger and in Fenway an easy .300-30-120 guy each year (70-90 XBH) at a younger age, and much more marketable than the marijuana smoking, lazy-ass dreadster

2-Rogers Hornsby, Honus Wagner, Jimmie Foxx, Josh Gibson, Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols, Mel Ott, Frank Thomas, Hank Greenberg, the aforementioned Mays, Aaron...

oh and Vladdy hits righty too.

LBS, I respect your opinion in most cases. You seem to be pretty fair. I don't buy for a second that Minaya is on the hot seat. From what I've read and heard, the Wilpons are strongly in support of Omar and the Mets seem to have righted the ship. Barring a disaster, I think we'll be seeing Omar for a while.

You guys are going to take what that Red Sox Mouth-piece - Gammons - has to say? You're kidding, right? He's just another vehicle Larry, Theo and Co. ride from time to time.

Garb, are you perhaps blinded by your hatred for the Red Sox management? I don't live in Boston and I can't say one way or the other, but from all indications are that Manny refused to play against the Yankee to prove a point and thus letting his teammates down, much less management. That is indefensible anyway you spin it. I am a huge Manny fan by the way, but in this case you're defending the indefensible.

LBS, I respect your opinion in most cases. You seem to be pretty fair. I don't buy for a second that Minaya is on the hot seat. From what I've read and heard, the Wilpons are strongly in support of Omar and the Mets seem to have righted the ship. Barring a disaster, I think we'll be seeing Omar for a while.

Well, I'm expecting them to miss the playoffs. I dont think this team is good enough to hold onto 1st. And if we do miss the playoffs, Minaya has to be held accountable not just Willie.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I dont think Minaya has done enough to hold onto his job if they miss the postseason.

Archived