Did Mangini Lighten His TC Hoping To Get Favre?

kelticwizard

Mangini was known for tough, tough training camps before this year, and he was unapologetic about them as well.

But suddenly, in 2008, he decides that less is more when it comes to training camp regimen. Also at the same time, a legendary QB who retired once and came back was making noises about coming out of retirement yet again.

Back as a youngster, I remember reading a football book written before free agency which said that old QB's rarely retire at the end of the year. Instead, they call it quits in traning camp when they realize their old bodies can't take it anymore.

Does anyone besides me suspect that Mangini's lighter training camps were inspired by a desire to make the Jets more attractive to Favre if he became available?

Because I have a sneaking suspicion that if Favre had not retired, Mangini would still be running the same hard camps he did previously.

Mangini was known for tough, tough training camps before this year, and he was unapologetic about them as well.

But suddenly, in 2008, he decides that less is more when it comes to training camp regimen. Also at the same time, a legendary QB who retired once and came back was making noises about coming out of retirement yet again.

Back as a youngster, I remember reading a football book written before free agency which said that old QB's rarely retire at the end of the year. Instead, they call it quits in traning camp when they realize their old bodies can't take it anymore.

Does anyone besides me suspect that Mangini's lighter training camps were inspired by a desire to make the Jets more attractive to Favre if he became available?

Because I have a sneaking suspicion that if Favre had not retired, Mangini would still be running the same hard camps he did previously.

No

And I dont think TC was much easier if at all this year.... it just seems more normal becuase it is year 3 of it...

Think BBQ Herm

Let's not get silly here.

Training camp is planned very early on. Before anyone, even Favre himself, knew he was returning. And secondly, no single player, not even God...I mean Favre, is so good that they change the whole training camp just to increase the chance of getting them.

Edit: Mangini has also said somehting about the changes were done to reduce the injury risk, if I remember correctly.

Uh, no.

Mangini lightened his TC to appease the veterans already on roster. He noticed that players were entering the season gassed, and sought advice from other athletic professionals (I want to say cyclists) and they said more rest would equate to better results.

hence the shortest TC's of his tenure.

Favre's teetering played well into TC... and even then, the posturing that the Jets FO did on the situation was pretty uncertain until the night before the deal went down. I'd say Favre's decision to play for the Jets is about 12 million more reasons than the TC duration.

I think going 4-12 played more of a factor. As well as what the other posters are saying as well. Killing your athletes during training is really ****ty coaching. The idea is to peak on gameday, and especially the playoffs.

Also the training camp roster is smaller. I know that the Patriots cut back for that reason. .

No clue as to the other 30 teams I assume some of them did is well.

Also the training camp roster is smaller. I know that the Patriots cut back for that reason. .

No clue as to the other 30 teams I assume some of them did is well.

29 of the other 30 teams anyway.

It would be physically impossible for Herm to go any easier on the Chiefs.

Archived