Strahan will not defend his title

Blackout

The New York Giants' dream solution for a gaping hole at defensive end was put to bed on Tuesday.

495.jpgStrahan

Michael Strahan told Foxsports.com on Tuesday that he thought long and hard about returning to the field but decided to remain retired.

"This has been one of the toughest nights of my life," Strahan told the Web site from his vacation in Greece. "But after long deliberation and throwing around a million scenarios in my head for the past day, I think it's just best if I stay retired.

"I have gone back and forth on this because as a player you'll always want to play, you'll never lose that urge to be out there. But I could only do this if I could commit 100 percent, physically, mentally, emotionally and I can't do that. I've tried to convince myself and my body to give it one more year, but in the end I just don't think I could turn it on like I need to again."

Strahan retired after the Giants' Super Bowl victory over the New England Patriots. That created one void. The Giants then lost defensive end Osi Umenyiora for the season when he injured his knee in Saturday's preseason game.

The team then reached out to the former Pro Bowler about changing his mind. The New York Daily News said that a team official contacted Strahan, 36. The newspaper had previously reported that he would consider returning for a one-year salary of $8 million.

Strahan currently holds a position as a studio analyst for Fox Sports, but the network gave its blessing if he decided to play again. It looks like the seven-time Pro Bowler will remain on the sidelines.

"I really love my life now," Strahan said, according to Foxsports.com. "It's great having nobody put a finger on me. You really put yourself through an awful lot in this league, more than people realize.

"I've got a great home at Fox now and I think it's where I belong. I wish I could've had different news for Giants fans but I've known for a while I'm done."

I knew this was the case. He's happy retired, that's clear. He was never going to return.

There was no reason for him to return as he has a ring and a cushy new job.

Why would he go back to the Giants? The odds of them getting back to the Super Bowl are pretty slim.

The New York Giants' dream solution for a gaping hole at defensive end was put to bed on Tuesday.

495.jpgStrahan

Michael Strahan told Foxsports.com on Tuesday that he thought long and hard about returning to the field but decided to remain retired.

"This has been one of the toughest nights of my life," Strahan told the Web site from his vacation in Greece. "But after long deliberation and throwing around a million scenarios in my head for the past day, I think it's just best if I stay retired.

"I have gone back and forth on this because as a player you'll always want to play, you'll never lose that urge to be out there. But I could only do this if I could commit 100 percent, physically, mentally, emotionally and I can't do that. I've tried to convince myself and my body to give it one more year, but in the end I just don't think I could turn it on like I need to again."

Strahan retired after the Giants' Super Bowl victory over the New England Patriots. That created one void. The Giants then lost defensive end Osi Umenyiora for the season when he injured his knee in Saturday's preseason game.

The team then reached out to the former Pro Bowler about changing his mind. The New York Daily News said that a team official contacted Strahan, 36. The newspaper had previously reported that he would consider returning for a one-year salary of $8 million.

Strahan currently holds a position as a studio analyst for Fox Sports, but the network gave its blessing if he decided to play again. It looks like the seven-time Pro Bowler will remain on the sidelines.

"I really love my life now," Strahan said, according to Foxsports.com. "It's great having nobody put a finger on me. You really put yourself through an awful lot in this league, more than people realize.

"I've got a great home at Fox now and I think it's where I belong. I wish I could've had different news for Giants fans but I've known for a while I'm done."

thanks LBS.

i had a feeling it would pan out like this. i was watching nfl live and i forget who it was now, but he had spoken to strahan after he retired and said that strahan "didn't wanna hit anybody anymore," which is how said individual knew he was finished as a player when said individual retired from the league himself.

regardless, you have to respect the fact that he didn't want to come back because he knew he wouldn't be completely committed. it shows he doesn't care for the money as much as his personal pride and, as a result, the team.

Archived