124's Keys to the Game: Jets @ Dolphins ~ Week 1

Jets

1. Protect Brett Favre

- The Dolphins don't offer an intimidating pass rush now that Jason Taylor is in burgandy and gold, but still the Jets revamped Offensive Line must protect Favre to give him time to get used to his new offense for a full game for the first time and get in tune with Laveranues Coles who did not take a single snap in the Preseason.

2. Pressure Pennington

- All Jets fans know this and even though some won't admit it, but its the truth. If Pennington is given enough time (more than the average QB however) he can pick you apart and win a game, even as the underdog. The Jets must see some pass rush from OLB's Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas and Vernon Gholston and or ILB David Harris (5 sacks in 8 starts last season along with 100+ tackels).

3. Special Teams

- Mike Westhoff is returning this week (supposedly) and will help a Jets Special Teams that was sloppy this Preseason under former Chicago Bear ST caoch Kevin O'Dea. Leon Washington and or Justin Miller are two of the better return men in the game and the Jets may need a spark from one of them to get some points on the board if Favre for some reason struggles. Early indicators are that he won't, but you never know. Also, stop Ted Ginn Jr, "The Great Hype".

Dolphins

1. Protect Pennington

- Not much to write here. As stated in Jets key #2, Pennington can beat you with enough time back there. Jake Long will be making his NFL debut and will face a tough match-up with Pace and Gholston switching sides coming at him. Gholston was the only one to get the better of Long in his outstanding senior season at Michigan.

2. Run, Run, Run...

- Ronnie Brown is coming back from a torn ACL so his carries will be limited (10-15 I'd guess) so Ricky Williams may indeed get the start and will indeed get the majority of the carries (15-25). The Jets had trouble with Ricky in the past, but that was five+ years ago and this is a different Williams. Kris Jenkins and David Harris beef up the Jets run defense. Miami will need a strong running game not only to control the clock and wear down the Jet defense but also because Pennington is one of the best QB's in the game at the Play Action pass if he has a successful ground game behind him. Perhaps the best.

3. Pressure Favre- Best way to distrupt Favre and force him to make Favre like mistakes is to pressure him. Miami doesn't have much coming at him with Joey Porter being their best option, but he's in his 30's and has been slowed by injuries. If they fail to pressure Favre it could be a long, long day for the Miami defense under the hot and humid Miami sun. Favre and Jerricho Cotchery could be teaming up all day on Will Allen or other Miami Corner's.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Time of possession and controlling the clock while scoring each and every opportunity.

DEFENSE wins championships OFFENSE wins games.

How can a team with the worst running backs in the league control the clock?

Just curious...

Is favre gonna throw every down? He might start crying about his arm getting tired.. Big ****ing baby.

Just curious...

Is favre gonna throw every down? He might start crying about his arm getting tired.. Big ****ing baby.

The NYJETS do not have the worst RBs in the league.And running the ball against the Miami defense shouldnt be a problem.

Jets

1. Protect Brett Favre

- The Dolphins don't offer an intimidating pass rush now that Jason Taylor is in burgandy and gold, but still the Jets revamped Offensive Line must protect Favre to give him time to get used to his new offense for a full game for the first time and get in tune with Laveranues Coles who did not take a single snap in the Preseason.

2. Pressure Pennington

- All Jets fans know this and even though some won't admit it, but its the truth. If Pennington is given enough time (more than the average QB however) he can pick you apart and win a game, even as the underdog. The Jets must see some pass rush from OLB's Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas and Vernon Gholston and or ILB David Harris (5 sacks in 8 starts last season along with 100+ tackels).

3. Special Teams

- Mike Westhoff is returning this week (supposedly) and will help a Jets Special Teams that was sloppy this Preseason under former Chicago Bear ST caoch Kevin O'Dea. Leon Washington and or Justin Miller are two of the better return men in the game and the Jets may need a spark from one of them to get some points on the board if Favre for some reason struggles. Early indicators are that he won't, but you never know. Also, stop Ted Ginn Jr, "The Great Hype".

Dolphins

1. Protect Pennington

- Not much to write here. As stated in Jets key #2, Pennington can beat you with enough time back there. Jake Long will be making his NFL debut and will face a tough match-up with Pace and Gholston switching sides coming at him. Gholston was the only one to get the better of Long in his outstanding senior season at Michigan.

2. Run, Run, Run...

- Ronnie Brown is coming back from a torn ACL so his carries will be limited (10-15 I'd guess) so Ricky Williams may indeed get the start and will indeed get the majority of the carries (15-25). The Jets had trouble with Ricky in the past, but that was five+ years ago and this is a different Williams. Kris Jenkins and David Harris beef up the Jets run defense. Miami will need a strong running game not only to control the clock and wear down the Jet defense but also because Pennington is one of the best QB's in the game at the Play Action pass if he has a successful ground game behind him. Perhaps the best.

3. Pressure Favre- Best way to distrupt Favre and force him to make Favre like mistakes is to pressure him. Miami doesn't have much coming at him with Joey Porter being their best option, but he's in his 30's and has been slowed by injuries. If they fail to pressure Favre it could be a long, long day for the Miami defense under the hot and humid Miami sun. Favre and Jerricho Cotchery could be teaming up all day on Will Allen or other Miami Corner's.

you basically said the same thing about each team...Pressure favre protect favre...pressure pennington protect pennington...not much of a read.

Just curious...

You're for sure a moron.

Cannot wait to see your excuses after the Jets pound Miami into the turf, or will you not be sticking around and all of the sudden will be very busy that you cannot come back until December's rematch?

Why do people who are fans of an opposing team troll on other teams web-sites??????

Seems to me like you have issues.I would seek some help immediately.

dosnt change the fact that you have the worst running backs in the league and you wont admit it because you are a delusional jet fan. You guys talk about the Jets like they are contenders...They finsished 4-12. Some people seem to forget too fast.

dosnt change the fact that you have the worst running backs in the league and you wont admit it because you are a delusional jet fan. You guys talk about the Jets like they are contenders...They finsished 4-12. Some people seem to forget too fast.

I guess you forgot the entire offseason and if you continue to believe Jones & Washington are the worst 1-2 punch in the NFL than you sir are the one who is delusional. Get a clue. Cannot wait for your exit after the Jets throttle the Dolphins.

Miami finished 1-15 the NYJETS finished 4-12 but the NYJETS have signed players on offense and defense what has Miami done to give you any glimmer of hope......Please dont say Pennington.........:rl:

Miami finished 1-15 the NYJETS finished 4-12 but the NYJETS have signed players on offense and defense what has Miami done to give you any glimmer of hope......Please dont say Pennington.........:rl:

Can you believe this guy? He's giving the Jets & Pats crap even though his team was 1-15 and set an NFL record for finishing 15 games behind the Division winner.

All smack aside, controlling the clock will be a key for the Phins. My only concern for our D is big plays. We should be OK against the run. I wouldnt say you guys have the worst running backs in the league, but you're near the bottom for sure.

If we can put enough pressure on Favre and eliminate big plays we have a chance. That said, we dont have a ball-hawking secondary. If BF gets time in the pocket we're finished, ball conrol or no. Special Teams and field position may also be a key to the game.

All smack aside, controlling the clock will be a key for the Phins. My only concern for our D is big plays. We should be OK against the run. I wouldnt say you guys have the worst running backs in the league, but you're near the bottom for sure.

If we can put enough pressure on Favre and eliminate big plays we have a chance. That said, we dont have a ball-hawking secondary. If BF gets time in the pocket we're finished, ball conrol or no. Special Teams and field position may also be a key to the game.

Timing is on your side. The Jets o-line is going to need a couple of games to get in synch for the running game. I still don't know about Jones, but Leon is terrific (they just have not used him enough). And Favre is going to need a couple of games to know the entire playbook and get used to his receivers (especially Coles).

I don't see the Jets scoring a lot of points. But I just don't see the Miami offense doing anything against the Jets defense.

The Jets #1 priority has to be to stop the run. There's no rushing the passer if they don't stop the run first. Run dee has been the Jets achilles for years. Hopefully the addition of Kris Jenkins changes all that, but it remains to be seen. Miami's backs offer a serious challenge, and Pennington is adept at play action. They have to be up for it.

The only other way to take away Miami's running game is to run up the score offensively - which I wouldn't mind seeing, either.

Holy **** just noticed, you're a Jets fan from Philly! Thats like a being a boil on a skunks ass :P

Hey. You talkin bout me? You must be talking about me. I don't see anyone else around here. :P

Seriously, I grew up in north NJ and lived there most of my life. I moved to PA for a change in jobs. Now I am surrounded by the worst fans on earth - Eagle fans. :)

Hey. You talkin bout me? You must be talking about me. I don't see anyone else around here. :P

Seriously, I grew up in north NJ and lived there most of my life. I moved to PA for a change in jobs. Now I am surrounded by the worst fans on earth - Eagle fans. :)

I guess you are not talking about me. I just noticed Ghost is in Philly.

Hey Ghost ... isn't it great around here with these birdbrains? :)

Archived