Campbell vs a QB with Heart

drago

Anyone catch the last offensive play by Washington? 4th and 13 and he opts for a 5 yard dump off leaving his receiver to make up 8 yards on the sideline.

This is why i don't mind a lot of favre's picks. You never see the guy take the easy out and a loss on a stupid dump off that does nothing but pad his stats and keep the INT out of his box score. At least Favre will take the chance of getting the first down and if he gets picked, so be it. At least he didn't do what Campbell did.

You read the stats of yesterdays game and you'll think that campbell had a decent day, 1 TD, 140 yards, 15 completions. But the fact is, he played like such a damn sissy that washington lost because of it.

There is no excuse to throw the ball short of the first down by 8 yards on 4th down. I'm not a huge Favre fan but at least the man goes for the win in every game. Guys like Campbell or coaches like Gruden (punts with 8 minutes left, down two scores, rather consistently) make me sick. Go for the damn win.

Anyone catch the last offensive play by Washington? 4th and 13 and he opts for a 5 yard dump off leaving his receiver to make up 8 yards on the sideline.

This is why i don't mind a lot of favre's picks. You never see the guy take the easy out and a loss on a stupid dump off that does nothing but pad his stats and keep the INT out of his box score. At least Favre will take the chance of getting the first down and if he gets picked, so be it. At least he didn't do what Campbell did.

You read the stats of yesterdays game and you'll think that campbell had a decent day, 1 TD, 140 yards, 15 completions. But the fact is, he played like such a damn sissy that washington lost because of it.

There is no excuse to throw the ball short of the first down by 8 yards on 4th down. I'm not a huge Favre fan but at least the man goes for the win in every game. Guys like Campbell or coaches like Gruden (punts with 8 minutes left, down two scores, rather consistently) make me sick. Go for the damn win.

Jim Zorn is Paul Hackette Part Deux. He apparently has the stupid philosophy of "if its 4th and 10 lets run 5 yard routes and hope the receivers get yards after the catch." Also running the ball on their own 10, down 2 scores, with 5 minutes left in the game brought back great memories of Big Paul running our O

Zorn's game management makes Herm Edwards look smart too.

Looks like the Skins got a real winner in their hands.

Jim Zorn is Paul Hackette Part Deux. He apparently has the stupid philosophy of "if its 4th and 10 lets run 5 yard routes and hope the receivers get yards after the catch." Also running the ball on their own 10, down 2 scores, with 5 minutes left in the game brought back great memories of Big Paul running our O

Zorn's game management makes Herm Edwards look smart too.

Looks like the Skins got a real winner in their hands.

i don't know much about zorn. From what i could see of the play i'm complaining about, receivers were sent long and the RB was just a check down in case the skins were in man and the sideline was cleared out (fat chance but it's possible).

To me, that last play was on Campbell. At that point in the game, you force the ball in there and ask Cooley or Moss to make a play.

JMO.

i don't know much about zorn. From what i could see of the play i'm complaining about, receivers were sent long and the RB was just a check down in case the skins were in man and the sideline was cleared out (fat chance but it's possible).

To me, that last play was on Campbell. At that point in the game, you force the ball in there and ask Cooley or Moss to make a play.

JMO.

They threw in front of the sticks all game, its a WCO philosophy and I effin hate it unless you have superb personel

They threw in front of the sticks all game, its a WCO philosophy and I effin hate it unless you have superb personel

i'm ok with the WCO, i don't know that it takes superior players either. Campbell just stood there like a deer in headlights. WCO requires quick release, as i'm sure you know.

shouldn't that be taught on day one? what's with taking the sacks?

Skins may be in for a rough season. It would be funny to see jason taylor try to get in the hall with two his last two seasons posting a total of 4 or 5 wins. hahah

I hate throwing in front of the sticks on 3rd and 4th down at all, but it is especially painful to watch late in the game when a team is losing. I hate playing it conservatively at the end of the game when you are losing by a score or two. I would rather see my team go out fighting and take chances to win the game and throw some int's then just run out the clock and accept defeat. The worst thing is seeing you throw in in front of the sticks when you are down late in the game and having it picked off.

Go for the damn win.

I'm with you border cousin. And we just got rid of the quintesential "my numbers will look good but my sack is empty" guy. Actually - we're playing him Sunday.

That is precisely why i am happy with Big Ben as my QB. I don't even mind the occasional INT as long as it's an aggressive INT. That just comes with the territory of trying their hardest to win IMO.

That is precisely why i am happy with Big Ben as my QB. I don't even mind the occasional INT as long as it's an aggressive INT. That just comes with the territory of trying their hardest to win IMO.

You can tell some coaches try to keep the score close, instead of going for the win. It becomes very obvious with 10 minutes left when they stick to the dump offs and play the field position battle.

As Arsis said, i just want to see my team go for the damn win. It would have sucked being a Skins fan last night.

You can tell some coaches try to keep the score close, instead of going for the win. It becomes very obvious with 10 minutes left when they stick to the dump offs and play the field position battle.

As Arsis said, i just want to see my team go for the damn win. It would have sucked being a Skins fan last night.

Yea very true. But i'd also add that it takes a QB with that go for the jugular attitude to be able to pull it off. I'm speaking from experience here too. Bill Cowher IMO was a coach who believed in strong running, clock management and keeping the score close. Ben had to stand up to him quite a few times, along with Ken Whisenhunt, and tell them he preferred to play to win instead of playing not to lose.

Ya think it's coincedence that neither Whisenhunt or Grimm got the Steeler HC job once Cowher retired?

I thought he made a poor choice there, but from what little I saw in the game, Campbell is not a west coast quarterback. He has little touch on the short stuff, but looked pretty good on the deeper stuff (which he threw little of due to the type of offense). He also wasted Cooley. One pass to a star tight end does not make any sense.

This is why i don't mind a lot of favre's picks. .

Enjoy guys like Favre, Marino, and Namath while you have them. They make the game exciting and have no fear putting the ball down the field. Unfortunately Favre is at the end of his career. From what I saw last year though, he looks to have a few years left of quality play.

Yea very true. But i'd also add that it takes a QB with that go for the jugular attitude to be able to pull it off. I'm speaking from experience here too. Bill Cowher IMO was a coach who believed in strong running, clock management and keeping the score close. Ben had to stand up to him quite a few times, along with Ken Whisenhunt, and tell them he preferred to play to win instead of playing not to lose.

Ya think it's coincedence that neither Whisenhunt or Grimm got the Steeler HC job once Cowher retired?

I didn't think of it until whisenhunt got the job in AZ. Strange fit for a guy that has two pro-bowl receivers. I sort of liked Cowher's style though. One thing i always liked about the stealers, i read this in a few quotes, one from p manning.

He said something to the effect of "most teams you audible against you can get them to switch their defense or call something off, not the steelers. You can audible all you want and they are still coming at you."

Archived