Shaun Ellis

DMaynard

I read this morning that he moved past John Abraham and is now fourth on the Jets all time sack list.

I would guess that Gastinuea and Klecko are 1 and 2. The question is, who is third? Gerry Philbin played before sacks were an offical stat. As did John Elliot, but his career was cut short by injury anyway.

I read this morning that he moved past John Abraham and is now fourth on the Jets all time sack list.

I would guess that Gastinuea and Klecko are 1 and 2. The question is, who is third? Gerry Philbin played before sacks were an offical stat. As did John Elliot, but his career was cut short by injury anyway.

I think when they say 4th they are including people that played before it was an official stat. This could be wrong but this site shows Ellis higher than 4th all time:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/career-defense.htm

I think when they say 4th they are including people that played before it was an official stat. This could be wrong but this site shows Ellis higher than 4th all time:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/career-defense.htm

Thanks, Max. That list definitely does not include before it was an offical stat because Philbin has zero sacks. And I know he had 19 just in the SB year. Klecko also has less than I thought. He might have played a couple of years before it became an offical stat.

Thanks, Max. That list definitely does not include before it was an offical stat because Philbin has zero sacks. And I know he had 19 just in the SB year. Klecko also has less than I thought. He might have played a couple of years before it became an offical stat.

Buttle have any? He was a LB, but I guess he didnt pass rush often. All i know is i might love him a little haha He does do great analysis all the time.

Buttle have any? He was a LB, but I guess he didnt pass rush often. All i know is i might love him a little haha He does do great analysis all the time.

Only 1 and a half. I guess they didn't need to blitz much with the Sack Exchange. :)

Dude played for 37 years and that's all the sacks he got?

:) I remember one time the opposing team missed a FG attempt. But there was a penalty on the play. Nitwit Clifton had jumped in the air to block it. Why was that a penalty? Because he was lined up five yards behind the LOS. He would have to be Spiderman to jump high enough to block it from there.

I was thinking Marvin Washington at first myself. I liked that guy a lot.

Great site BTW. A couple of observations:

Joe Kleckos true totals are definitely wrong. I remember him having double digit sack seasons and those aren't on the chart. Looks like they started recording in '82 which sounds about right. Mark Gast's true numbers aren't reflected either.

Does anyone remember Barry Bennett? For the life of me I can't remember him. He's the only one on the list with 10 or more sacks that I can't remember.

I was thinking Marvin Washington at first myself. I liked that guy a lot.

Great site BTW. A couple of observations:

Joe Kleckos true totals are definitely wrong. I remember him having double digit sack seasons and those aren't on the chart. Looks like they started recording in '82 which sounds about right. Mark Gast's true numbers aren't reflected either.

Does anyone remember Barry Bennett? For the life of me I can't remember him. He's the only one on the list with 10 or more sacks that I can't remember.

#78. Hardnosed d-lineman from the end/early post Sack Exchange. Went to Concordia in MN. It's a tiny Lutheran school a buddy of mine went to.

I did a google search and came across this site

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/slopitch/jet.html

scrolling down I found this

CAREER SACK LEADERS

PLAYER NO (Sacks became "official" in 1982)

1 Mark Gastineau, 1979-88 107.5

2 Joe Klecko, 1977-87 78

3 Gerry Philbin, 1964-72 64.5

4 Verlon Biggs, 1965 -70 58.25

5 John Abraham 2000-05 53.5

5 Shaun Ellis, 2000- 53.5 (ACTIVE)

7 Mo Lewis, 1991-03 52.5

8 John Elliott, 1967-73 47

9 Marty Lyons, 1979-89 43

10 Marvin Washington, 1989-96 37.5

11 Mark Lomas, 1970-74 37

12 Jeff Lageman, 1989-94 34.5