PFT: Jets Gettin Punked

Green Jets & Ham

Profootballtalk.com

JETS GETTING PUNKED BY AGENTS?

There's a rumor making the rounds in league circles that various agents could be using the Jets as a tool for driving up their clients' offers elsewhere, with no serious intention of recommending that their guys go to New York.

Several pro personnel execs have told us that the Jets seem to be desperate to make a splash in free agency, and that the agents are seizing on this as a chance to drive the price up for taking another team's offer.

Examples of this include defensive tackle Pat Williams, who parlayed New York's interest into a gig with the Vikings.

Also, nose tackle Jason Ferguson flirted with the Jets (causing them to stutter-step on Williams) before heading to Dallas.

Running back LaMont Jordan used a $3 million per year offer from the Jets as a springboard for a $27 million package in Oakland, and defensive tackle Seth Payne abruptly inked with his Texans after returning from a trip to New York.

A similar phenomenon occurred a year ago, when cornerback Antoine Winfield looked to be ready to sign with the Jets before landing in Minnesota.

So stay tuned. We don't know whether the rumors are valid, but we'll keep our ears open for more info along these lines.

if true - how is this their fault?

and what can the JETS do about this?

the way i see it if agents are using the team as a bargaining tool, there's no way for the JETS to "win" the player who's goal is to sign somewhere else for more money - JMO

ok a couple things... yeah i think we f*d up with williams cause of ferguson. Yet i think both dallas and oakland over paid for them... by a lot. Does anyone else thing fergy is worth that much? Or lamont at 5 million per year? That 2 million per year diff. couldnt have come from them using us as a spring board for a bigger contract from another team. Fergy just was overpaid by parcells (ala vinny T. and mo lewis). Williams we lost out on cause we had a hard on for fergy so we f*d up there all on our own. Payne I have no idea about... any idea what we said and offered to him?

Archived