Will the Celtics go 82-0?

Blackout

fantasy_ap_garnett_trophy_200.jpg

Now comes the hard part for Garnett, Celtics

By Scoop Jackson

Page 2

Updated: October 14, 2008, 12:01 PM ET

BOSTON -- They say that once someone achieves something, the sense of urgency to achieve it again doesn't exist. Some call it human nature; some simply call it the anatomy of apathy. Most believe one of the reasons such complacency sets in is that it is always harder to do something a second time.

You would think Kevin Garnett -- excuse me, NBA champion Kevin Garnett -- would come back heavy this season. Not in weight, but from the extra pressure that comes when you become the hunted. Heavy because getting to the mountaintop was hard but staying there is a whole new episode -- one that even those considered to be the best to ever play aren't always ready to handle.

But KG is so up for this challenge he doesn't even look at it as one. At least not one that will be as challenging as winning his first NBA championship four months ago.

AP Photo/Elise Amendola

He waited 13 seasons, but one trophy is not enough for Kevin Garnett.

He disappears from one closed-door room to the next. Like an illusionist. It's the first day back, first day as crown incumbents. At one point, a scream comes from behind one of the doors. Paul Pierce is sitting outside the room doing an interview. "We all know who that is," he says. "That woke my daughter up, and she's at home."

It was KG, no doubt. Last season when the Celtics asked Garnett to scream in front of a camera so they could replay it on the JumboTron to hype the home crowd before the team intros, there was uncertainty in the scream. Not this time. Now, there's a pressure-less security in his vocal release. Assurance. Defending a title is supposed to be more difficult, but for some reason, he refuses to know it.

"[it's about] being consistent," is how he looks at it, how he makes sense of what is about to come his and the Celtics' way. "Being on the mountaintop is always difficult. I don't think we are going to be sitting back, like, waiting for other teams to take their shots [at us]. You know what I mean?"

Yes, we know what he means. But distancing himself from the belief that this season will be harder than last is a lie he's telling himself. The psychological, mental and physical grind of repeating an achievement that was 22 years in the making for the Celtics -- and 13 years for him personally -- has to be more difficult. Even teammate Sam Cassell, a man who repeated as an NBA champion with the Houston Rockets, knows this.

"The regular season is going to be harder; the playoffs are going to be harder," he said. "Winning doesn't get old, but it gets harder."

When told what Cassell said, KG just exhaled. "Whew

Archived