who was the best of these?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. who was the best of these?

• Hakeem Olajuwan
    • Patrick Ewing
    • David Robinson
    • Shaquille O'neal

Hakeem was the best.

Shaq was a great, great player in his prime, but he isn't the completely dominating legend that everyone makes him out to be. Shaq didn't become dominant until Hakeem, Ewing, and Robinson were past their primes and he got to go up against the Rasho Nesterovic's and Greg Ostertags every night.

Shaq ate Ewing and the Admiral alive when he came into the league. He doesn't work on his game, doesn't work out enough, doesn't stay in top shape and takes games off. Still, he dominates physically like no one else. Which is why Miami management is asking themselves and Stan Vangundy how it is that even with Shaq injured they couldn't get past the Pistons. Fair point that he's not facing big-time centers every night.

Hakeem is still pretty damn good, and a better all around player than Shaq. But physically he cannot match up.

• 3 weeks later...
DOesnt anyone recall Hakeem always sweeping Shaq out of the playoffs?

Hakeem went against Ewing and Shaq in the finals, back to back, and dominated both of them. For a single season, he is the one you want in the middle. For a single game, you would want Shaq, as if he comes to play, his dominating physical advantage over anyone makes him impossible to stop.

IMO, none of these would be in the same league as Wilt, Russell, or Kareem. Hakeem is close, but he is quite a bit below those 3 from yesteryear.

• 1 month later...

Great stuff here no ewing love though... comeon guys Ewing was always seceretly only 6'9 or so. Physically there is no comparison Shaq in his prime was the most physically superior center to ever take the court. Olajuwan was amazing also but I think there were guys that could matchup more easily against Hakeem than you can find for Shaq. A couple of times in recent history I have seen some guys out play him but that's because he is lazy and he doesn't get to play defense half the game cause he gets into foul trouble.

Great stuff here no ewing love though... comeon guys Ewing was always seceretly only 6'9 or so. Physically there is no comparison Shaq in his prime was the most physically superior center to ever take the court. Olajuwan was amazing also but I think there were guys that could matchup more easily against Hakeem than you can find for Shaq. A couple of times in recent history I have seen some guys out play him but that's because he is lazy and he doesn't get to play defense half the game cause he gets into foul trouble.

I don't know if you ever saw him in action, but Wilt was as strong as anyone who ever played the game. He did not look physically asd imposing as Shaq, but he was strong as could be. I personally saw him rip down a rebound 1 handed, pound the ball with his other hand, and the thing exploded right in his hands!!

Never saw that before or after.

Also, Russell, was the smallest of all the listed Centers here, but he had an incredible defensive knack of making you work a lot harder, take a lot more shots, etc., to get your stats. He also was one of the best at knowing exactly where the shot was going to bounce if it missed. I can't believe the times He would be battling under the boards for position, then, as soon as an outside shot was launched, he moved a few feet away, and was in perfect position for the rebound. The only other guy who was close was Dennis Rodman. But Bill was the Master at this.

Now-a-days, guys just box out (some guys anyway) and hope the ball bounces where they are standing.

• 1 month later...

this is a good debate.

i think Hakeem and Shaq are in a different class than Ewing and Robinson.

Shaq won 3 titles w/ LA in his prime, but he had Kobe along his side.

Olajuwon won 2 w/ Houston and he didnt really have a superstar player to compliment him. He had guys like Robert Horry, Kenny Smith and Vernon Maxwell and Sam Cassell...all guys who were good NBA players, but by no means superstars. Cassell wouldnt be classified as a superstar because at that stage in his career he was a rookie and he wasnt yet a superstar.

Hakeem's Rockets swept Shaq's Magic in the 1995 Finals, but Shaq wasnt in his prime yet.

this is a toss up IMO, any team to have Shaq or Hakeem would have a legit all time great center.

All four deserve their spot in the HOF...

The Dream had Clyde Drexler for the second championship who was still a GREAT player then. He also won the first one on his own, and was the league MVP that year. I would put Hakeem first.

Robinson had Duncan, Shaq had Kobe... who did Ewing have? An old Kiki Vandeweghe? Mo Cheeks? Doc Rivers? Charles Smith? John "I will take any shot I see" Starks? Derek Harper?

Hakeem is the best out of the four, and in all honesty... Shaq never impressed me. He is all about size, and didn't have the skill the other 3 had. Put either of the other 3 in Shaqs frame and they are the best center who ever played the game... put Shaq in Ewing's frame and he is a journeyman in the NBA.

Ewing and DRob were also phenomenal outside shooters and great defenders. Ewing was drafted because of his defense, and turned out to be a damn good offensive center. Hakeem was just a man among boys.

Hakeem

Ewing/Robinson

Shaq

id rank Ewing last.

he never played great against the great centers of his era.

he had a bad finals vs. Hakeem and he missed the finger roll vs the Pacers in Game 7 the following season. Ewing was by no means clutch.

All four deserve their spot in the HOF...

The Dream had Clyde Drexler for the second championship who was still a GREAT player then. He also won the first one on his own, and was the league MVP that year. I would put Hakeem first.

Robinson had Duncan, Shaq had Kobe... who did Ewing have? An old Kiki Vandeweghe? Mo Cheeks? Doc Rivers? Charles Smith? John "I will take any shot I see" Starks? Derek Harper?

Hakeem is the best out of the four, and in all honesty... Shaq never impressed me. He is all about size, and didn't have the skill the other 3 had. Put either of the other 3 in Shaqs frame and they are the best center who ever played the game... put Shaq in Ewing's frame and he is a journeyman in the NBA.

Ewing and DRob were also phenomenal outside shooters and great defenders. Ewing was drafted because of his defense, and turned out to be a damn good offensive center. Hakeem was just a man among boys.

Hakeem

Ewing/Robinson

Shaq

Archived