3-4 Question

hoping4ASuperBowl

What are some of the differences between our 3-4 and Pittsburgh's 3-4?

I know our 3-4 is some kinda hybrid similar to the Patriots. Im just wondering because I'm amazed at how good the Steelers 3-4 is. Is that mainly cause of LeBau being a genius and moreso the players?

The steelers d continues to excel and I wonder why we dont take more from them as far designing our 3-4.

I know our 3-4 is some kinda hybrid similar to the Patriots. Im just wondering because I'm amazed at how good the Steelers 3-4 is. Is that mainly cause of LeBau being a genius and moreso the players?

The steelers d continues to excel and I wonder why we dont take more from them as far designing our 3-4.

I think the difference is what the DL is responsible for.

In the Par$ells/Belichick/Mangini scheme, the DL are responsible for two gaps whereas Pittsburgh's DL are only responsible for one.

They basically have more of an attack mode 3-4 scheme. ..... Foote & Farrior are good in coverage so they can afford to rush both OLB's a lot.

FARRIOR

This is what I NEVER got. Drafted AND Played for a Parcells-Belichik 3-4 Defense and never started; not even a significant substitute.

Herm Edwards comes into town, switches to his Cover 2 : 4-3 defense, Farrior STARTs and has RIDICULOUS tackles, was definite Pro-Bowl Snub. Finally in 2001 showing all what was hoped for since '97 @ #7 overall: a difference-making young LB. He was mis-cast in the 3-4, or so was the argument then, and better suited for the 4-3. It also happened to be his contract year.

In FA, FArrior flies to the STEELERS who play the 3-4 ?!?!?!?!?!?

And what happens?

He's been an all-pro 3-4 LBer since. I just don't get it!

Well i've watched enough Jets games that i can give ya one difference for sure. The Steelers BLITZ a hell of alot more IMO. And they do it from alot more different angles in my view. Not sure how talented your OLB's are but James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley are beasts too.

But if you watch LeBeau's scheme, you'll see he tries to give the QB a bunch of different looks. This usually gets us burnt here n there vs the better teams tho. Well now with Woodley and Harrison we can keep Troy in coverage more against the better offenses.

I'm sure there's more. If i get time later i'll post some articles on the zone blitz.

I think the difference is what the DL is responsible for.

In the Par$ells/Belichick/Mangini scheme, the DL are responsible for two gaps whereas Pittsburgh's DL are only responsible for one.

Good point. Aaron Smith is one of the most under-rated DE's in the game IMO. He is the one who allows the rest to flow to the ball so easy.

Also, that D is playig with half a secondary that couldn't start anywhere right now. Fernando Bryant and William Gay are nothing special IMO.

The Steelers have so much talent at the Linebacker position that first round picks have trouble seeing the field. I think they are the biggest difference in their 3-4.

Sure the DEs have one gap responsibilities, but Hampton is a two-gapper.

PIT usually sends four pass-rushers (at the least), with the 4th rusher being a mystery pre-snap. NE gets by with a three-man pass rush, and I think we split the middle... a 3.5 man rush.

Yup, for those who would like to know. All NTs in any 3-4 are required to be 2 gappers. Most critical position in any 3-4 scheme. After that you can get creative in the way you assign the DEs and LBs.

C B A A B C

-X X X X X-

-E -- N - E

(having a little trouble with the diagram there, hopefully it is clear)

Nose always has the 2 A gaps.

DE can handle both B and C or just B or Just C depending on the call and let the OLBs or ILBs worry about the remaining gap control.

You guys sure are a knowledgable (sp?) bunch.

Ya know, for years i didn't really care much for the 3-4. It seemed like every time we played a decent O-line the QB would pick us apart. Well i'm still expecting at least a bit of a let-down game this season. I mean who goes through the entire season without having an off day? But i gotta admit, i'm extremely pleased with that D these days. It's pretty much carried my team through a hella tough schedule.

Archived