Oakland Ca. crime is going up, arrests are going down

Jet Moses

Funny how that works :lol:

Arrests Are Down, and Crime Is Up

First Oakland police stopped solving violent crimes. Then the city's crime rate spiraled out of control.

By Robert Gammon

Printer-friendly version | Send a letter | E-mail story

December 3, 2008

Armed robbers terrorized Oakland restaurants and small businesses in three separate crime sprees over the past year. The first wave targeted Asian eateries and struck during the 2007 holiday season. The second arrived last spring and was more indiscriminate. The third struck in July and August. All three made newspaper headlines and led television newscasts, shining a spotlight on the city's out-of-control crime problem and the Oakland Police Department's apparent inability to cope with it. In fact, the department's public response to the takeover robberies was both odd and illuminating.

Jamie Soja

4a20_feature1_1_jpg-story.jpg

Oakland police once had a strong record of solving violent crimes, but not under Chief Tucker.

The department's mantra for dealing with the city's crime spike has been: "We can't arrest our way out of this problem." Top brass has repeated this declaration in public meetings or whenever a reporter was within earshot, as if it were a common sense, widely accepted response to this sort of crisis. "Right now, it's pretty clear we are in a time of increased crime," said Deputy Police Chief Dave Kozicki, just before he summed up the department's official response to the Oakland City Council in April. "But the bottom line is we believe we cannot arrest our way out of these problems."

So instead of employing old-fashioned detective work to solve the restaurant robberies and arrest criminals, the department doubled down on a policing philosophy that it has employed repeatedly in recent years. It beefed up patrols and focused on so-called "hot spots." But this time it targeted the city's upscale shopping districts — and not the violent flatlands of West and East Oakland. It was an attempt at crime suppression, the security-guard approach to policing that the department successfully used to quell the sideshows several years ago.

It's based on the premise that criminals are less likely to offend if they see a police car driving by. During the third crime spree, Mayor Ron Dellums even invited the Guardian Angels, a national vigilante group, to march around commercial districts in their red berets.

Yet the crime waves persisted, much like crime overall has remained at historically high levels in Oakland during the past three years. Then something interesting happened. Each crime wave abruptly ended when police arrested the perpetrators. It turned out that the department could arrest its way out of the problem after all. Each time police put the criminals behind bars, the takeover robberies stopped, the screaming headlines and breathless newscasts ended, and public fear faded away. People started patronizing restaurants again.

A closer look at the Oakland Police Department's response to the overall spike in violent crime that began three years ago reveals an agency with a policing philosophy that appears to have exacerbated the city's problems. An analysis of crime statistics by this newspaper reveals that Oakland's police department has the worst record in recent years among large cities statewide for solving violent crimes and homicides. In fact, Oakland's violent crime rate skyrocketed after the agency's ability to capture violent criminals fell off a cliff.

Oakland police once had a strong record for solving violent crimes and homicides, but during the three years since Police Chief Wayne Tucker took over the department it has solved less than one-quarter of the violent crimes and homicides in the city, according to figures from the state Department of Justice. The steep decline actually began under Tucker's predecessor Richard Word, and has worsened since 2005. And once the department's record for capturing criminals and putting them behind bars plummeted, the number of violent crimes citywide jumped sharply — 27 percent from 2005 through 2007 compared to the previous three years — far outpacing other large California cities.

CONT:

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/gyrobase/arrests_are_down__and_crime_is_up/Content?oid=876297&showFullText=true

Funny how that works :lol:

Arrests Are Down, and Crime Is Up

First Oakland police stopped solving violent crimes. Then the city's crime rate spiraled out of control.

The steep decline actually began under Tucker's predecessor Richard Word, and has worsened since 2005. And once the department's record for capturing criminals and putting them behind bars plummeted, the number of violent crimes citywide jumped sharply

I had the displeasure of visiting that craphole once. I went to watch 3 Yankee games at that cespool they call a stadium. I knew I was in a bad area when I saw a check cashing place, liquor store and Rib joint on every corner.

:rl: Thanks for the heads up. Never been there , and now I have ZERO desire.

As a former patrolman and current detective, I can say, without reservation, that 99.8% of all significant major crimes have never been solved from the interior of a moving patrol car.

I'm just sayin............

I always think it is wise to side with the opinion of the guy on the beat, instead of some ACLU lawyer of some pointy headed stuffed suit heading a department.

• 1 month later...
As a former patrolman and current detective, I can say, without reservation, that 99.8% of all significant major crimes have never been solved from the interior of a moving patrol car.

I'm just sayin............

I think the presence alone of more patrol cars would lower the crime rate a good bit...it would discourage most of that petty stuff knowing how many cop cars there are. I'd assume that a cop could possibly find a larger connection in some petty crimes, but that seems unlikely.

Any truth to what I'm saying, just curious?

I think the presence alone of more patrol cars would lower the crime rate a good bit...it would discourage most of that petty stuff knowing how many cop cars there are. I'd assume that a cop could possibly find a larger connection in some petty crimes, but that seems unlikely.

Dirty cops? No! You don't say. Impossible! ;)

More cops are effective if they backed up by the Mayor and PC, much like the turn-around in NYC under Guiliani.

They have to be willing to "get out of the car" and have the gov. prepared to back them should things get dicey, which they invariably do (though the overall good of the citizens is promoted)

If you address the smaller things, aggressive panhandling, public alcohol consumption, etc. the bigger things tend to take care of themselves. This was known as the broken windows theory in NYC.

The criminals have a remarkable radar for how much the cops are willing to do and how much they are supported by the local authorities and respond accordingly.

The question is, are the folks of Oakland willing to stomach a stronger PD?

The folks in NYC were ready, and generally supported the new policing strategies which paid great dividends in crime reduction and quality of life.

Everyone wants good aggressive policing done, but no one wants to see it getting done.

Its not always pretty like on TV.

You can't win a war from the air without putting boots on the ground. OPD might as well be in F-15s at 10,000 feet because other than improper left turns and locating people after the crime has already occurred, they're not going to stop diddly. You need narc units, vice units, directed patrol units, boots on the ground to complement the patrols. Boots on the ground is a contact sport, public needs to understand that.

You're not going to fix anything until you change the mind set of the people in this country. Getting arrested and going to jail doesn't bother some people and others think it's a cool thing. The cops also have their hands tied when it come to making arrest and investigating crimes. It also doesn't help that you have cops that are dirty or working with gangs. America as a whole is turning into a uneducated out of control group of thugs not just Cali.

It starts with parenting and education and over the last 20 years both have became a huge joke in this country.

You're not going to fix anything until you change the mind set of the people in this country. Getting arrested and going to jail doesn't bother some people and others think it's a cool thing. .

Taking a crap with the guards watching me just doesn't strike me as cool. And the food must be pretty bad, too. I don't get it.

Being in jail isn't fun it's the respect you get when you're out that makes it cool to a few boneheaded people.

Yeah, i know. I was just trying to be funny.

Anyway they get respect because they lie when they get out. They tell everybody they didn't get raped, when they did, like Tupac.

YOu guys are talking about "boots on the ground"; this is the guy that tried to make that happen. The State of CA is running out of money, so many obstacles to putting a "strong arm" Giuliani style police force on the street. There was a group of motorcycle cops that got reamed in a controversial trial; they are known as "the Riders" and they played hardball in the roughest areas of Oakland. They were disgraced; and they hurt plenty of people. I think the BART shooting forced the OPD chief to step down. No more crime-fighting; he would have become an "icon" in a war of ideals, one that he could never win.

32green is right; with SF and Berkeley nearby, there is no "stomach" for hardball tactics. And, with Ron Dellums as Mayor, there is EXTREME sensitivity (as there should be) to the City's African-American population.

And, with Ron Dellums as Mayor, there is EXTREME sensitivity (as there should be) to the City's African-American population.

And ironically, African Americans whom, I'm willing to wager, are the biggest proportionate victim-group in Oakland.

And ironically, African Americans whom, I'm willing to wager, are the biggest proportionate victim-group in Oakland.

I'll double that wager.

Right. Kind of Gaza thing going on there. Can't find/tell who are the bad guys. The OPD should be given propers for neighborhood patrols that do get the message ("Help us solve violent crime, if you know something") out while building networks of trust.

Did you guys see the FRONTLINE last night about Palermo, Sicily struggles with graft (the "pizzo") and what they are doing? This is pretty much what has to happen in Oaklnad. The people have to see crime as a threat to the economy and their own dignity; they have to join the fight, even if just a bit.

Right. Kind of Gaza thing going on there. Can't find/tell who are the bad guys. The OPD should be given propers for neighborhood patrols that do get the message ("Help us solve violent crime, if you know something") out while building networks of trust.

Did you guys see the FRONTLINE last night about Palermo, Sicily struggles with graft (the "pizzo") and what they are doing? This is pretty much what has to happen in Oaklnad. The people have to see crime as a threat to the economy and their own dignity; they have to join the fight, even if just a bit.

They refuse.

STOP SNITCHIN'! :rolleyes:

Getting rid of crime is a threat to their economy because without they would need to get real jobs and would make a lot less money.

I did everything in my power to make sure my daughter lived in a safe neighborhood and went to a decent school. I took any job I could get. I didn't wait for the government to take care of me, because that would have meant the projects.

You get what you pay for in this world.

I did everything in my power to make sure my daughter lived in a safe neighborhood and went to a decent school. I took any job I could get. I didn't wait for the government to take care of me, because that would have meant the projects.

You get what you pay for in this world.

That's you, you're not a drug dealer, pimp or thief. At least I'm guessing you're not.

Archived