Deadline for Favre

GangGreen08

All of our off-season moves heavily depend on Brett Favre's retirement decision. I think sonce Tanny and Rex ryan have the final say, they should give Brett a deadline for his choice. I belive free agency starts on the 27th of February and Brett is due $13M this year that is much needed money that could be spent on signing a solid corner or wide-out or possibly even bringing in a defensive stud from the ravens which would be a great improvement. Also his decision ties into what we can do in the draft. If he is still undecided by that time where do we go in the first day of the draft QB? WR? DL? LB? Giving him a deadline would let him know that he isnt gonna get the celebrity treatment that he got last year with mangini. What do you guys think?

I think get who we want to get first & then ditch him if the cap room is needed. No reason to cut him & then be standing around with our collective dicks in our hands. Same thing we did with Pennington when we got Favre.

If we don't get "the guy" we want (who needs Favre's cap space), Favre can be cut at any time later on. And I doubt Favre's decision would be too relevant as to whether or not we kept the likes of David Barrett.

Thomas is probably as good as gone anyway. Anyone notice how his name has been absent from all press conferences? They mention Jenkins, Pace, Gholston, Harris, Revis, & Rhodes as players they're "excited" (or whatever) to work with. Not mentioned were Ellis, Coleman, Elam, Smith, or other LB'ers.

So I'd say there's no reason to rush it. Ultimatums don't go over well. Even if they're done privately, that always finds its way to the press anyway.

The delicate maneuver will be cutting him versus having him retire. If you cut him, he is a free agent and can "come back" again and have the freedom to sign with anyone. You look like an idiot if you give up a 3rd rounder for him and allow the next guy to get him for free. If he retires, we retain his rights and any second thoughts about playing have to involve us being compensated for his services. You can set deadlines all you want, but we really need him to turn in his retirement papers.

The Jets have already said that they want a decision after the NFL Scouting Combine.

I thought the announcement said by the combine. It would make more sense, considering they'd probably want to devote some of their better scouts to the QBs coming out.

I thought the announcement said by the combine. It would make more sense, considering they'd probably want to devote some of their better scouts to the QBs coming out.

I wouldn't bother...to me, Ainge is better than nearly anyone in this draft. Unless you want to use a first rounder, there is really no point looking any further at any of the later round crud.

IMO this is a pretty crap like draft for QB's. After Stafford it's all downhill fast.

I hope so. We don't need another GB like episode. Favre's act is wearing thin.

For the life of me, I can't understand why it's so difficult for this man to make a decision.

It's not like he hasn't been practicing to do this for the last 3 years.

Is it that he is still looking for the fountain of youth or is it is ego that want's his

name discussed every day on message boards as to whether he is retiring or not.

For the life of me, I can't understand why it's so difficult for this man to make a decision.

It's not like he hasn't been practicing to do this for the last 3 years.

Is it that he is still looking for the fountain of youth or is it is ego that want's his

name discussed every day on message boards as to whether he is retiring or not.

I think it's pretty clear and sensible.

Favre wants to go as long as his abilities will take him. He wants every year of playing he can wring out of his body.

But he doesn't want to get into a situation where he said yes, then goes to training camp and realizes he can't go through it again.

The longer he can hold off, the longer the body has to heal and he can gauge if another season is in him.

Archived