Who wants Favre?

lancemehl

If his arm feels good then I would take him back.

However, I want the next QB of the NY Jets to be a high-drafted rookie. Give me a 1st round draft pick QB. Not top-5. Not even top-8. Then you have to pay them ridiculously too much money. But I will take a first round QB drafted 10 or after and happily roll the dice on him.

Like Sanchez?

WITHOUT FAVRE:

We get a little extra to sign someone, but our QB options are a guy who we know sux, a very promising undrafted FA but one that has never even started a preseason game, and Eric Ainge.

I know no such thing. And neither do you.

You're higher on Ratliff than Clemens, it seems. Based on what, exactly?

watching them play.

What exactly has Ratliff proven in the NFL other than playing well in the preseason?

Kurt Warner. Tony Romo. Tom Brady. Roger Staubach. Etc. Etc, Etc. How many of these guys were top draft choices? Play well and get rewarded. The draft...merely a guideline. How many top picks have fallen flat on their faces while fourth, fifth sixth, even seventh rounders have made big contributions? Not to mention the undrafted. Players come into their own of no particular timeline. Ratliff was a top rated QB in the pre-season. Clowney led all NFL recievers....ALL recievers prior to his injury. Mainly due to lasers from Ratliff. And Clowney still got no respect or playing time. A chance is all anyone's asking. Clemens had a chance...and sucked. Ratliff has yet to suck. that's all.

Don't know a ton about him since I watched far less college football this year than I normally do (stopped gambling on it).

What do you think of him?

Well he's only played one full year. And hes the third best rated QB in the upcoming draft, that kinda bothers me. I dont think the first two qbs will be there at 17 and if Sanchez is there I highly doubt he would come in and play right away. Plus injuries are a pretty big issue with him.

I still think letting Clemens or Ratliff duke it out might be the best option.

If his arm feels good then I would take him back.

However, I want the next QB of the NY Jets to be a high-drafted rookie. Give me a 1st round draft pick QB. Not top-5. Not even top-8. Then you have to pay them ridiculously too much money. But I will take a first round QB drafted 10 or after and happily roll the dice on him.

Yeah we don't want any Tom Brady's or Kurt Warner's or tony Romo's on this squad eff that. Give me Ryan leaf Rick Mirer and Heath Shuler.

Yeah we don't want any Tom Brady's or Kurt Warner's or tony Romo's on this squad eff that. Give me Ryan leaf Rick Mirer and Heath Shuler.

This isn't a valid argument. You can't focus on three good late-round players and compare them to bad first rounders without mentioning the countless late round picks that have never made an impression in the pro's or giving some respect to first rounders that have gotten it done (i.e. Peyton Manning, McNair, McNabb). I agree that first round quarterbacks don't always come out right, but the hit percentage is a lot higher with them than with late round or undrafted QB's.

I don't really see a QB available in this draft that could pull a Matt Ryan or even Joe Flacco and step in right away and pay dividends. That said, there aren't any free agents or potential targets available in a trade that are great options either. I'd love to get Quinn but the Browns won't be dealing him and they won't be doing us any favors.

Basically, as currently constructed the Jets QB situation leaves a ton to be desired and if Favre does retire this team will struggle to be .500 next season.

I know it saves us money if he does ride off into the sunset, but it also leaves us high and dry.

This isn't a valid argument. You can't focus on three good late-round players and compare them to bad first rounders without mentioning the countless late round picks that have never made an impression in the pro's or giving some respect to first rounders that have gotten it done (i.e. Peyton Manning, McNair, McNabb). I agree that first round quarterbacks don't always come out right, but the hit percentage is a lot higher with them than with late round or undrafted QB's.

I think its pretty valid. Look at this:

2008 - Quarterbacks

Rd # Player College Team

1 3 Matt Ryan Boston College Atlanta Falcons

1 18 Joe Flacco Delaware Baltimore Ravens

2007 - Quarterbacks

Rd # Player College Team

1 1 JaMarcus Russell Louisiana State Oakland Raiders

1 22 Brady Quinn Notre Dame Cleveland Browns

2006 - Quarterbacks

Rd # Player College Team

1 3 Vince Young Texas Tennessee Titans

1 10 Matt Leinart USC Arizona Cardinals

1 11 Jay Cutler Vanderbilt Denver Broncos

2005 - Quarterbacks

Rd #

1 1 Alex Smith Utah San Francisco 49ers

1 24 Aaron Rodgers California Green Bay Packers

1 25 Jason Campbell Auburn Washington Redskins

2004 - Quarterbacks

1 1 Eli Manning Mississippi San Diego Chargers

1 4 Philip Rivers North Carolina State New York Giants

1 11 Ben Roethlisberger Miami (Ohio) Pittsburgh Steelers

1 22 J.P. Losman Tulane Buffalo Bills

2008 and 2004 are obviously the best classes but look: 7 of all those QB's are worth their first round tag, while 7 are busts or still haven't developed. It's just as likely to get squat for a QB in the first round then to get something good. Who's to say Sanchez won't be the next Leinart?

2008 and 2004 are obviously the best classes but look: 7 of all those QB's are worth their first round tag, while 7 are busts or still haven't developed. It's just as likely to get squat for a QB in the first round then to get something good. Who's to say Sanchez won't be the next Leinart?

Who's to say a 50/50 shot at a real live quarterback isn't worth a first round draft pick?

(not Jets fans.)

I don't really see a QB available in this draft that could pull a Matt Ryan or even Joe Flacco and step in right away and pay dividends. That said, there aren't any free agents or potential targets available in a trade that are great options either. I'd love to get Quinn but the Browns won't be dealing him and they won't be doing us any favors.

Basically, as currently constructed the Jets QB situation leaves a ton to be desired and if Favre does retire this team will struggle to be .500 next season.

I know it saves us money if he does ride off into the sunset, but it also leaves us high and dry.

Favre is the best option we have, I agree. If, of coures, we want a winning season next year. So many haters out there, how sad.

fair enough, would you agree that thus far Ratliff has shown the tools to be one of those late picks who blossom.

Great size,poise,accuracy......... while our 2nd rounder has shown none of the above, and save the argument of who they play against. The field is always even 22 guys of the same talent, whether it's starters or third string.

That's like saying a first round pick has never shown anything because he only played against college kids who ARE NOT equal in talent or they would all be going pro.

Archived