Memorable games for you? (plz post a baseball-reference link)

talisaynon

Here's mine. I came to America 93, started watching baseball the next year. In 95, as a 5th grade kid at the time I was ****ing devestated with how we ended that season (Why we cheered KGJ when he came back to the stadium I'll never understand). But the following year was the best year of baseball for me. I could never miss a game because we were that fun to watch.

Anyways for some reason this game sticks in my mind. It was the day we clinched the division in 96, the day we slugged 19 against the Brewers. I still remember John Sterling being completely estatic and staying up late watching the champagne celebration on Fox 5. I think I was in 6th grade at the time:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA199609251.shtml

This was at a time when I absolutely LOVED listening to the radio for Yankee games and preferred them over the TV any day.

Check out the bottom second:

Bottom of the 2nd, Yankees Batting, Ahead 4-1, Tim Van Egmond facing 1-2-3

--- 8 84% T Raines Double to RF (Line Drive to Deep CF-RF)

O -2- 1 81% W Boggs Popfly: 2B (Weak 2B)

-2- 5 82% P O'Neill Walk

R 12- 4 89% B Williams Single to RF (Ground Ball); Raines Scores; O'Neill to 3B

1-3 90% T Martinez Williams Steals 2B

-23 4 90% " " Intentional Walk

Ramon Garcia replaces Tim Van Egmond pitching

RR 123 5 95% D Strawberry Double to LF (Fly Ball to Deep LF-CF); O'Neill Scores; Williams Scores; Martinez to 3B

RR -23 1 97% D Jeter Double to LF (Ground Ball); Martinez Scores; Strawberry Scores

R -2- 1 99% J Girardi Triple to RF (Line Drive to Deep RF Line); Jeter Scores

RO --3 1 99% L Sojo Flyball: RF/Sacrifice Fly (Deep CF-RF); Girardi Scores

R --- 4 99% T Raines Home Run (Line Drive to Deep RF Line); Raines Scores

--- 4 99% W Boggs Single to RF (Line Drive)

1-- 5 99% P O'Neill Single to LF (Ground Ball thru SS-3B Hole); Boggs to 2B

Ruben Rivera pinch runs for Paul O'Neill batting 3rd

R 12- 1 99% B Williams Single to CF (Line Drive); Boggs Scores; Rivera to 2B

R 12- 4 99% T Martinez Single to RF (Ground Ball); Rivera Scores; Williams to 2B

O 12- 5 99% D Strawberry Strikeout Swinging

10 runs, 10 hits, 0 errors, 2 LOB. Brewers 1, Yankees 14.

In the immortal words of Scooter: HOLLYY COWWW

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN199805060.shtml

Wood's 20 K game.

My other favorite game is the Mike Mussina almost perfect game in Fenway back in what...'04? '05? Mussina is such an underrated pitcher...sucks he'll probably never see the HOF.

Also Pedro K'ing 19 guys in Yankee Stadium was just f'n ridiculous. That man wasn't human for the beginning of his career.

This game is probably one of my favorites that I went to of all time

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA198809110.shtml

Sitting in good ole section 39, this was before the Creatures became famous (or infamous depending on how you view them).

I brought a little portable TV with me so my buddy could watch the Giants and 49'ers, figuring you know I would get home in time to watch the second half of the Jets Browns game which was at 4:00pm.

Well the game goes on, and on and on. I take the tv after the Giants lose and start getting updates on the Jets game. The Jets game ends and the Yankee game is STILL GOING.

Finally in the 18th Claudell Washington hits the game winning homer and send everybody home a winner.

That season, eventhough the Yankees didn't win was one of the funnest summers I had. Went to about 25 gamesthat year. Actually got to sit behind home plate for a game against the Royals. Most of the time though, out in the bleachers.

This game is probably one of my favorites that I went to of all time

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA198809110.shtml

Sitting in good ole section 39, this was before the Creatures became famous (or infamous depending on how you view them).

I brought a little portable TV with me so my buddy could watch the Giants and 49'ers, figuring you know I would get home in time to watch the second half of the Jets Browns game which was at 4:00pm.

Well the game goes on, and on and on. I take the tv after the Giants lose and start getting updates on the Jets game. The Jets game ends and the Yankee game is STILL GOING.

Finally in the 18th Claudell Washington hits the game winning homer and send everybody home a winner.

That season, eventhough the Yankees didn't win was one of the funnest summers I had. Went to about 25 gamesthat year. Actually got to sit behind home plate for a game against the Royals. Most of the time though, out in the bleachers.

You were at that game? Damn. I remember listening to that game on the radio when I was 11 years old. I was listening when one of my uncles went out for the day. he came back like six hours later and saw me still listening. He says "what are they doing? re-plyaing it on the radio" and I said "no, they're in the 18th inning and the Tigers just went up by a run on a Matt Nokes single up the middle" only to have the Yanks pull it out on the Claudell homer after what I think was a Ricky Henderson walk?

edit....just looked at the box score and no RBIs for Nokes. Maybe he lead off the inning and scored on a single up the middle. Thinking back to watching the news that night I now recall seeing Nokes putting on his catchers gear and sucking wind. Maybe he did score the go-ahead run.

Nevermind..I'm a schmuck...just realized there was a play by play breakdown if you scroll to the bottom...it was Nokes. Great game.

I'm too lazy to look this game up...but in 8th grade (2002) I saw Pedro vs. Mussina where both went 7, K'd 13, and then Bernie Williams (he and Pettite were my fav Yankees) hit the HR that turned out to be the difference maker.

That was a good game...I remember cause my nerd brown ass thought I could blow this girl in my class away with my amazing knowledge of the game. Negative on that front.

You were at that game? Damn. I remember listening to that game on the radio when I was 11 years old. I was listening when one of my uncles went out for the day. he came back like six hours later and saw me still listening. He says "what are they doing? re-plyaing it on the radio" and I said "no, they're in the 18th inning and the Tigers just went up by a run on a Matt Nokes single up the middle" only to have the Yanks pull it out on the Claudell homer after what I think was a Ricky Henderson walk?

edit....just looked at the box score and no RBIs for Nokes. Maybe he lead off the inning and scored on a single up the middle. Thinking back to watching the news that night I now recall seeing Nokes putting on his catchers gear and sucking wind. Maybe he did score the go-ahead run.

Nevermind..I'm a schmuck...just realized there was a play by play breakdown if you scroll to the bottom...it was Nokes. Great game.

That a was great friggin summer.

I got a bunch of college friends to go to the home opener against Minnesota. That game was when newly acquired SS Rafael Santana hit into a triple play.

There was one point during that summer where they were struggling and they were getting the @sses beat by Seattle and we were out there chanting "Wake the F up", "Wake the F Up"

I had a crew of friends that from about 1987 to 1996 went to about 20-25 games a year. It was great. Bleacher tickets were $3.00 to $5.00 and we would have a great time ripping on guys like Dwight Evans, Albert Belle, and Devon White.

Alot of times I would just go straight from class (I went to Kean). Even if my friends weren't going that day there was always someone there that you were friends with that you would sit and hang out with.

The Yankees basically sucked those years but boy did we have alot of fun.

That a was great friggin summer.

I got a bunch of college friends to go to the home opener against Minnesota. That game was when newly acquired SS Rafael Santana hit into a triple play.

There was one point during that summer where they were struggling and they were getting the @sses beat by Seattle and we were out there chanting "Wake the F up", "Wake the F Up"

I had a crew of friends that from about 1987 to 1996 went to about 20-25 games a year. It was great. Bleacher tickets were $3.00 to $5.00 and we would have a great time ripping on guys like Dwight Evans, Albert Belle, and Devon White.

Alot of times I would just go straight from class (I went to Kean). Even if my friends weren't going that day there was always someone there that you were friends with that you would sit and hang out with.

The Yankees basically sucked those years but boy did we have alot of fun.

Reminds me of sitting in those same bleachers during that time frame. As a matter of fact, I remember a game against Cleveland. A double header actually. Mike Stanley had already hit a couple of homers already and I told my best friend that "If he hits another one, I'm throwing my drink on the field" (It was a soda, I was probably 15 or so years old) and sure enough he hits one that lands right in front of us so as I throw my soda on the field, Indians CF Alex Cole has to duck the soda and all of a sudden the whole stadium starts throwing their drinks on to the field and the game had to be delayed to pick them up. Then in game two of the double header, Darryl Strawberry goes yard in the fisrt inning and here come all the cups again. Game delayed and as a smartass kid I'm sitting there as happy as could be for having started it all. Of course I'd never do that as a grown up. Great memories though.

Oh, and we ragged the hell out of Albert Belle that day, and he ended up getting the game winning hit when he ripped a double down the LF line.

The Greatest Game I personally ever attended:

1) 2006 ALCS, Oakland @ DETROIT - Game 4

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET200610140.shtml

The greatest baseball game I've ever attended in my life. Hell, the greatest sports event I've ever experienced in my life. I'm in section 336. Tigers hold 3-0 series lead on the A's and lead off the bottom of the 9th wuth 2 straight outs. Monroe and Polanco get on base with singles. The crowd is going nuts, chanting Magglio's name as he comes to the plate. With 2 outs, Ordonez steps up to bat in the 9th and proceeds to go yard off Huston street for walk off 3R HR & a trip to the series. I get chills just typing this and thinking about that night. We didn't stop celebrating until 1 AM that night outside the park.

3UJZPZd-Pus

The Greatest Game I personally ever attended:

1) 2006 ALCS, Oakland @ DETROIT - Game 4

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET200610140.shtml

The greatest baseball game I've ever attended in my life. Hell, the greatest sports event I've ever experienced in my life. I'm in section 336. Tigers hold 3-0 series lead on the A's and lead off the bottom of the 9th wuth 2 straight outs. Monroe and Polanco get on base with singles. The crowd is going nuts, chanting Magglio's name as he comes to the plate. With 2 outs, Ordonez steps up to bat in the 9th and proceeds to go yard off Huston street for walk off 3R HR & a trip to the series. I get chills just typing this and thinking about that night. We didn't stop celebrating until 1 AM that night outside the park.

3UJZPZd-Pus

I remember watching that on TV thinking Mags was gonna go yard here.

Sho nuff...

I have a couple:

Texas Rangers at Boston Red Sox: July 2, 1990.

Pitchers duel between Nolan Ryan and Mike Boddicker.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS199007020.shtml

Ryan pitched 8 great innings. Boddicker pitched 9 great innings. Kenny Rogers comes in to start bottom of the 9th and gives up a walk off HR to Red Sox great Kevin Romine. First game I ever saw at Fenway, had standing room seats with Mom and Dad, and it was just a great baseball game.

Mets Clinch NL East- 9/22/88

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYN/NYN198809220.shtml

Ron Darling pitches complete game to clinch the NL East. Best seats I had ever had up to that point. Went with my dad and never experienced happiness and excitement like we did that game. Mets win on a check swing strike 3 on appeal to 1b ump. it was great the delayed reaction waiting for the ump to make the call.

Yankees- Red Sox- July 1, 2004

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA200407010.shtml

13 innings of baseball between two hated rivals. Intense emotional action on the field. Game gets great in the 7th when Sox tie it up. Yankee fans and Sox fans taunting each other when they fail to score for the next 5 innings.

Oh, and this play happened: jeter-1_6x205ke8.JPG

http://www.nydailynews.com/features/thestadium/the_greatest/greatestmoments-july-1-2004.html

This was probably the greatest baseball game i've ever attended. And I didnt have a rooting interest.

Archived