Ravens release 10 year vet, 3 time Pro Bowl CB McAlister - NFL.com

:Typotux:

Ravens release 10-year veteran, three-time Pro Bowl CB McAlister

Associated Press

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens released cornerback Chris McAlister, a 10-year NFL veteran and three-time Pro Bowl player, on Monday.

McAlister, who started for Baltimore's Super Bowl winning team in the 2000 season, ranks third on the Ravens' career list with 26 interceptions and scored seven touchdowns -- including a 107-yard return of a missed field-goal attempt.

McAlister, 31, started five games last season before being benched, and he was placed on injured reserve Nov. 11 because of an injury to his right knee. McAlister finished the season with three interceptions and 19 tackles.

McAlister was scheduled to make $8 million this year.

"We want to thank Chris for all he did for the Ravens in the past 10 years," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said in a statement released by the team. "He was a major contributor to many big wins, including the Super Bowl."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Give him a look for 2-3 years 3-4 per. He's passing his prime and apparently wore out his welcome.

If the Jets came to him with a 2 year, $6.5 million deal, I think he'd be foolish to turn it down. Obviously we'll see what Rex Ryan thinks of him come March when Free Agency begins. If Ryan doesn't pursue him, you know that he's done.

If the Jets came to him with a 2 year, $6.5 million deal, I think he'd be foolish to turn it down. Obviously we'll see what Rex Ryan thinks of him come March when Free Agency begins. If Ryan doesn't pursue him, you know that he's done.

Agreed on both points.

Now get rid of that awful avatar so I can respect you again. :P

Well, Rex benched him last season, so that should tell us quite a bit already.

Still an upgrade over what we have. Opposite Revis, I felt all we needed was a merely average corner. We didn't come close to even having that last year. McAllister may still be good enough to be average. Don't know what lingering effects there will be from his knee injury (compounded with age). He really only had the one bad game last year vs Indy, but then their whole secondary had a crappy game. The offense didn't help much either, turning the ball over a zillion times. But it's not like he got burned game after game until he was finally benched. He may have been banged up before they benched him anyway. Only McAllister & Ryan really know for sure.

He's more than adequate, considering the crap we tried out last year...if his knee is 100%. I would prefer someone a little better, but I don't think he'd be the lone downfall of the 2009 Jets if that's the direction we went with.

Still an upgrade over what we have. Opposite Revis, I felt all we needed was a merely average corner. We didn't come close to even having that last year. McAllister may still be good enough to be average. Don't know what lingering effects there will be from his knee injury (compounded with age). He really only had the one bad game last year vs Indy, but then their whole secondary had a crappy game. The offense didn't help much either, turning the ball over a zillion times. But it's not like he got burned game after game until he was finally benched. He may have been banged up before they benched him anyway. Only McAllister & Ryan really know for sure.

He's more than adequate, considering the crap we tried out last year...if his knee is 100%. I would prefer someone a little better, but I don't think he'd be the lone downfall of the 2009 Jets if that's the direction we went with.

Well said. Lowery, while not bad, had his weaknesses magnified, due to absolutely no one wanting to throw at Revis. I really feel all we need was an average to above average, opportunistic athletic CB, who could make some plays on the ball and make the opposing offense think twice about picking on his side. I think McAllister at the right price would be a welcomed addition.

That having been said, apparantly according to the Newark Star-ledger, the jets are expected to show interested in McAllister, but he isn't an upgrade over Dwight Lowery. Really?? I like Lowery and believed he showed some promise, but right now he should be our nickel back. I'm not sure about CMs knee surgery, but I don't see how he is worse than lowery.

"The Jets are expected to show interest in recently released CB Chris McAlister.

McAlister has a history with new coach Rex Ryan in his favor, but bad knees have ravaged his game for two years now. While the Jets have a need opposite Darrelle Revis, McAlister isn't an upgrade on Dwight Lowery."

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Related: Jets

I wonder whos going to be on your avatar tomorrow.

Archived