Offensive Tackle (Where do The Jets Go From Here?)

YJF

With the departure of Kareem McKenzie. The Jets have a huge hole on one side of their offensive line.

I haven't heard or read anything about The Jets pursuing any offensive lineman on the market.

The Jets have a few options here.

They could skip free agency. Draft a LT with The 26th pick in the draft and move Fabini to the right side.

That's a scary proposition because you better hit on your draft pick. You can't afford to miss on LT. See Vernon Carey.

The Jets could forget about free agency and the draft. Just start Adrian Jones at T. Either right side or dare I say it, The left side.

Jones has a ton of upside. He's a former college tight end with great feet and agility. The problem is he's very raw. Any diehard Jets fan can attest that Adrian Jones looked out of place last year in the preseason. He got killed trying to pass block. He looked like a player that never played offensive line before in his life. Unless this player grows up fast. To me, He still looks like a major project.

If The Jets do decide to bargain hunt for a T in free agency. There are not that many quality guys out there. Most of them are stop gap guys and there are no Left Tackles to be had.

The names out there are Victor Riley,Fred Miller and Jermane Mayberry.

Mayberry can play guard and tackle. I'd like to pursue him but what's the price?

No matter what you thought of Kareem McKenzie and he did get overpaid. The Jets have to address this area.

Good post, YJ. It's definitely a tough spot right now for them. Mayberry is interesting, but the Eagles have been trying to replace him for years, I believe. The draft is a bit of a crapshoot, too. It looks like we may have to hope Adrian Jones can play RT, otherwise we'll be calling up Brent Smith in the middle of July. Gah.

Good post, YJ. It's definitely a tough spot right now for them. Mayberry is interesting, but the Eagles have been trying to replace him for years, I believe. The draft is a bit of a crapshoot, too. It looks like we may have to hope Adrian Jones can play RT, otherwise we'll be calling up Brent Smith in the middle of July. Gah.

The Jets, if they want to. They could get involved in The L.J. Shelton sweepstakes. Dennis Green seems to have problems with good players.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other alternatives at offensive tackle. Unless The Jets want to take a flyer on two former Jets, Ryan Young and Kerry Jenkins.LOL

The Jets, if they want to. They could get involved in The L.J. Shelton sweepstakes. Dennis Green seems to have problems with good players.

Shelton was a 1st rounder last year right? Is Isnt he something like 360 lbs??

I dont know anything about the guy, but I would think he has much more upside than Adrian Jones.

If he can be had, I assume it would be via trade only, right? Maybe Kendall can shed some light on the kid. At the very least, they need to take a look-see at Shelton. Considering our holes on the line, a trade for Shelton just might be more prudent than a trade for Coles.

EDIT- Ummm...I(retard) cant box the quote.

OK...I dont know what the hell is wrong with me, but just about all of my posts here have confirmed my complete lack of ability to keep up to date on what the hell is going on in the NFL. Sorry.

Back to L.J. SHELTON....

He was a 1st rounder in 1999 :D .....21st overall...6-6 330-340 lbs. Found himself on the bench last year.

Here's my question...If he has been given permission to seek a trade, why are we not talking to him/them? Too much money?? I sure as hell woulnt mind LAW or SMOOT in GREEN, but O-line just became problem #1, IMO.

If I am not mistaken. Shelton has a pretty big contract. He's a good young tackle but when he was drafted. He was expected to be a dominant player.

He's had some stretches but he isn't a dominant player.

Shelton and Leonard Davis should have been The Cards bookends for the next 10 years.

Denny Green pulled back on The L.J. Shelton for Travis Henry deal. Supposedly, The Bears are in on it now but who knows who may jump in.

The price may be a quality player or a high draft pick. 2nd rounder perhaps. Plus you inherit Shelton's contract. Which may be a little too beefy for some teams to eat.

This player is best suited for RT but he has played LT. If The Bears get him. I think he's going to play LT for them.

Archived