Elam to Browns unless Jets match offer..

Steveg

For $1.01M we don't get a pick in return because he wasn't drafted out of college. If he was a first round pick, then we'd get a 1st round pick in return if someone offered him a contract. Elam was not drafted, so the low tender gets us nothing in return.

For $1.545M we get a 2nd round pick in return. In Elam's case, that means we get Elam because no one's trading anything for him.

You answered your own question. At 1.545m nobody is signing him AND giving up a 2nd when we don't match or negoitiating for a lesser pick. With the low tender there is a chance he signs an offer sheet for less than the 1.545 and we match it saving money. Jets were hoping that somebody offered him a couple of hundred grand less. They basically let the market dictate what Elam is worth. IMO they did this with the intention of keeping him all along with the hope of saving a little money.

You answered your own question. At 1.545m nobody is signing him AND giving up a 2nd when we don't match or negoitiating for a lesser pick. With the low tender there is a chance he signs an offer sheet for less than the 1.545 and we match it saving money. Jets were hoping that somebody offered him a couple of hundred grand less. They basically let the market dictate what Elam is worth. IMO they did this with the intention of keeping him all along with the hope of saving a little money.

Seems like a lot of exercise for an upside of $0.05M on a $127M cap. That's 0.04% of the Jets salary cap.

This is what I call high risk, low reward. The "reward" (over just tendering him higher) does not affect the Jets cap. The risk is creating a hole that needs to be filled. Not a huge hole, but a hole.

If you think he's worth $1.5M, then pay him $1.5M. What other teams think he's worth is their own business. What if Cleveland offered him $1.6M or $1.7M instead? Would we match that as well?

I don't have an issue with the Jets re-signing him for $1.5M. I only have an issue with the logic employed. They didn't stand to gain a lot in exchange for a player they (may) value & risk losing.

The only way the Jets' move regarding Elam makes total sense is if we don't match.

Seems like a lot of exercise for an upside of $0.05M on a $127M cap. That's 0.04% of the Jets salary cap.

This is what I call high risk, low reward. The "reward" (over just tendering him higher) does not affect the Jets cap. The risk is creating a hole that needs to be filled. Not a huge hole, but a hole.

If you think he's worth $1.5M, then pay him $1.5M. What other teams think he's worth is their own business. What if Cleveland offered him $1.6M or $1.7M instead? Would we match that as well?

I don't have an issue with the Jets re-signing him for $1.5M. I only have an issue with the logic employed. They didn't stand to gain a lot in exchange for a player they (may) value & risk losing.

The only way the Jets' move regarding Elam makes total sense is if we don't match.

I think the real sense is that they didn't know what they would have at S. If Leonhard signs elsewhere then matching makes plenty of sense. Now, not so much. I'm not surprised that Elam got an offer, but I am surprised that it was with Mangini who seemed to have the guy in the doghouse a couple of times. I'd have expected Tuna to make the move. He's the guy that recommended Elam over here. I think Rex likes more cover out of his safeties. I'm also surprised it was a one year deal.

FWIW, I like Elam, but I have no recollection of him ever making a positive play on special teams.

I think the real sense is that they didn't know what they would have at S. If Leonhard signs elsewhere then matching makes plenty of sense. Now, not so much. I'm not surprised that Elam got an offer, but I am surprised that it was with Mangini who seemed to have the guy in the doghouse a couple of times. I'd have expected Tuna to make the move. He's the guy that recommended Elam over here. I think Rex likes more cover out of his safeties. I'm also surprised it was a one year deal.

FWIW, I like Elam, but I have no recollection of him ever making a positive play on special teams.

I thought of that with Leonhard. Which means it makes even less sense if we match now (as opposed to this situation arising prior to us inking Leonhard).

I think there's a couple reasons they could've let him test the market while still wanting to hold onto him. Maybe the player asked to test it out? Maybe there was a divide about money? If you're confident about the value you're placing on the player, it doesn't hurt to let him see that for himself. In this case, I think the market beared out the Jets thinking - in that the best contract he could get out there is still less than the 2nd round tender.

I think there's a psychological break there. At less than $1.545M, I think the Jets look pretty clever by matching to the pawltry sum of $45K. In fact, I'd be more inclined to question what Cleveland was thinking with their offer. Why not offer him $1.55M? Only $5K over the 2nd round tender, it creates that sense of, "we could've locked him up for less," that would make them more inclined to pass.

Archived