Owners will implement rule changes but OT will remain the same ~ NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f5307a&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Owners will implement rules changes but not to overtime

By Vic Carucci | NFL.com

Senior Columnist

The NFL's overtime procedures are expected to stay the same, but new rules designed to enhance player safety likely will be put in place for the 2009 season.

Those are among the highlights of what will be addressed -- along with big-picture items such as negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement with the NFL Players Association -- during the NFL Annual Meeting scheduled to begin Sunday in Dana Point, Calif., NFL.com has learned.

A source close to the NFL Competition Committee, which met last week in Naples, Fla., to discuss new rules proposals and other matters impacting the game's competitive structure, said the group is recommending to team owners that no changes be made to the current overtime system. Owners are expected to concur.

Some people within the league have suggested the team that wins the coin toss has an unfair advantage, prompting the committee to study the matter and consider revisions. Although there was no real possibility of the NFL adopting the college format that eliminates the kickoff and gives each team the ball from the opponent's 25-yard line, continuing play until there's a winner, the committee did review moving the kickoff from the 30- to the 35-yard line to help make the receiving team's field position less favorable.

However, according to the source, the committee was greatly persuaded by an emphatic opinion that players expressed through a league-wide survey that they didn't want any alterations to overtime (which, in the regular season, ends with the first score in the extra period or when the clock expires, resulting in a tie; for the postseason, teams continue to play 15-minute periods until the first score).

"The players just didn't want any fooling around with it at all," the source said.

Improving player safety is the primary motivation behind three recommendations that are expected to be approved in voting by all 32 team owners during the four-day meeting:

I think the fumble rule is the one with the most impact.

Allowing play to continue until recovered versus dead ball whistle is a step in the right direction.

True.

The "dead ball whistle" is so idiotic.

I hope they also do away with the "inadvertent whistle" call as well. It's ridiculous that a referee's mistake in blowing the whistle should have such a dramatic impact. Usually when such thing happens the players can't hear the whistle anyway.

I'm all for improving safety but creating a new rule everytime a player gets injured is f*ing stupid. It's a physical game. All these rules accomplish is forcing a defender into taking a more tentative approach to tackling an offensive player, which of course is exactly what the NFL wants, more points and more opportunities for big plays.

It sucks.

Fans love this game BECAUSE it is violent, not because of long pretty passes. And if all you are doing is making it easier to throw the ball downfield and make it much easier on scoring and harder for the defenders to play defense, look in the mirror. Your name is David Stern, and you are ruining the game.

That helmet rule is going to be a disaster with the selective calls. I'll bet 50% of the time the defender's helmet makes contact with the ball-carrier's helmet. Not because of dirty plays or malicious intentions, but simply because football helmets are big.

Improving safety is fine -- and appropriate. But there's a difference between helmet-to-helmet contact, which happens all the time, and leading with one's helmet.

If they stay true to the rule, I expect no football helmets to have scuff marks on them in games where this isn't called.

That helmet rule is going to be a disaster with the selective calls. I'll bet 50% of the time the defender's helmet makes contact with the ball-carrier's helmet. Not because of dirty plays or malicious intentions, but simply because football helmets are big.

Improving safety is fine -- and appropriate. But there's a difference between helmet-to-helmet contact, which happens all the time, and leading with one's helmet.

If they stay true to the rule, I expect no football helmets to have scuff marks on them in games where this isn't called.

I agree.

If I remember correctly, Smith's hit on Boldin was more from Rhodes(?) hitting Boldin into Smith.

It is my opinion the NFL looks at simple solutions and picks the diametrically opposite direction to keep fan's talking about it during offseason.

Here is something else they may change.

The Patriots pick 23d in this year's NFL Draft based on their 11-5 record. Even though they didn't make the playoffs, two teams that did -- the Chargers and Eagles -- will pick before them based on inferior regular-season records.

Such a scenario won't happen again if NFL owners adopt a proposal from the league's competition committee at next week's annual meeting.

As ESPN's John Clayton notes today, the competition committee is proposing that non-playoff teams automatically pick between 1-20, regardless of record. Then playoff teams would draft 21-32.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

I agree with this one. It makes no sense that the draft is based on regular season records.

Here is something else they may change.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

I agree with this one. It makes no sense that the draft is based on regular season records.

I agree, it should at least be consistent one way or another. I'm not going to cry any tears for the Patriots, and they're not the first team to experience this either, but to have a better record than another team, yet they make the playoffs over you AND get a better draft pick, there is absolutely nothing fair about that scenario. Either the 6 best teams in each conference make the playoffs or have the NFL draft consistent with how you're handing out playoff berths.

If a pass rusher, who is blocked into the quarterback's legs or into the ground on the way to the quarterback, continues to run or drives forcefully into the player, he'll draw a 15-yard unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty and be subject to a fine.

How can a player "continue to run" or "drive forcefully into the player" when he's blocked onto the ground?

I agree, it should at least be consistent one way or another. I'm not going to cry any tears for the Patriots, and they're not the first team to experience this either, but to have a better record than another team, yet they make the playoffs over you AND get a better draft pick, there is absolutely nothing fair about that scenario. Either the 6 best teams in each conference make the playoffs or have the NFL draft consistent with how you're handing out playoff berths.

Exactly.

Archived