Mets close to signing Gary Sheffield

Morrissey

Right, like Citi Field is going to be dead silent or booing when Sheff hit a dinger or a RBI double.

Im talking about the people here.

I dont care what other mets fans do. They are a pathetic bunch to begin with.

Any fan base that hates the Yankees because of their success (outside of a true rival) is lame and pathetic.

Im talking about the people here.

I dont care what other mets fans do. They are a pathetic bunch to begin with.

Any fan base that hates the Yankees because of their success (outside of a true rival) is lame and pathetic.

Bottom line is LBS, steroids was/is a problem through out baseball, all 30 teams have and will have steroids guys on there team, so you must realize how annoying it is for us to hear the Yankees are all a bunch of cheaters, the 90s Yankees are tainted, ect.

Yankee fans cheer on and defend their 'roid users.

Mets fans are disgusted this piece of sh!t is a member of our team now.

Correct. While I hope for the best for the teams sake, I don't think any of us of us would have said get Sheffield on our roster. Mets fans are not defending his roid use either. That has not always been the case in Yankee fan land here.

Don't care who you are, having about $300 million of your money dissappear has an effect.

Had an effect on the Wilpons personal finances? Sure.

Had an effect on the Wilpons (And Saul Katz's) buisness that got scammed (Sterling Equities)? Probably.

But has an effect on the day-to-day operations of the Mets? I haven't seen it. They said they were going to maintain payroll Pre-Madoff Scandal, and that's exactly what they did.

As for Sheffield, I still dislike the guy, but at least he's saying the right things...

Sheffield said it’s been a dream of his to play for the Mets, ever since his uncle,

Dwight Gooden, played for the team.

Sheffield said Gooden is ‘ecstatic,’ pointing out, ‘He’s been blowing my phone up all day.’

Sheffield added, “I realize I am at a point in my career that I am not the marquee guy to demand a position. I want to win a championship. If its coming off the bench, I am willing to do that.”

Sheffield said that David Wright and other players called him during the last week, all while the Phillies, Reds, Rays and other teams were pursuing him.

According to Sheffield, “That was one of the biggest reasons I came here. When the face of the franchise calls you… When he made that phone call, that’s what made my decision.”

By the way, Sheffield will wear jersey No. 10.

- Metsblog.com

Had an effect on the Wilpons personal finances? Sure.

Had an effect on the Wilpons (And Saul Katz's) buisness that got scammed (Sterling Equities)? Probably.

But has an effect on the day-to-day operations of the Mets? I haven't seen it. They said they were going to maintain payroll Pre-Madoff Scandal, and that's exactly what they did.

As for Sheffield, I still dislike the guy, but at least he's saying the right things...

- Metsblog.com

Cannot help but think but for Madoff Ramirez is in LF at Citifield.

Saw Gooden intereviewed by Harodl Reynolds on MLB TV last night. Both he and Strawberry are walking cautionary tales. Don't think either is a bad guy, and Strawberry seems like a genuinely nice guy man as he's grown older. To his credit Gooden didn't blame anyone but himself for the mess ehs' amde,a nd was particularly sad explaining that he found hismlef and his son in jail together. Yet both seem to understand they're facing a daily battle. It's probably easier to call them druggies, but I wish them well.

Anyways, in the article it says Sheffield will be getting significant playing time. Does he take time from Murphy or Church?

This pretty much settles that as the guy is not even in playing shape.

After completing a 20-minute session in the outfield with coach Razor Shines hitting him balls, Gary Sheffield suggested he's not ready to play the field in a game. Sheffield said he didn't even pick up a glove during spring training. And because he figured to only be a DH with the Tigers, he came to camp heavier, and now needs to shed weight.

Sheffield also reiterated that he'd be content pinch-hitting with sporadic outfield play. He planned to learn how Marlon Anderson and others prepared to pinch-hit, since it's only one at-bat per game, as opposed to what he's been used to as a DH. Regardless, Sheffield said there's no way he'd be able to play 130 games in the outfield this season, or whatever the equivalent of a regular player gets. "They'll see I can't do that real quick," Sheffield said with a smile.

Here are some tidbits from Jerry Manuel's pregame session:

Archived