'Cuse Fans: Three Declare for the Draft

uart

I guess we're just gonna have to wait until June 15th for Flynn's decision.

I think he will make the right decision in the end, which might be going to the NBA. That would disappoint me but I would 100% respect his decision and wish him the best. I just hope he realizes how special this team could be with him returning.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scoop Jardine is a PG...And a pretty good one at that. Because of how good Flynn is, and because Jardine was a redshirt this past year, that fact has been lost on a lot of people. Is he as good as a scorer as Flynn? No, of course not. But with the supporting cast around him, he doesnt have to be a great scorer for us to be a sweet 16 team. He just needs to be able to feed it down low to AO/Rick, kick out to Andy, and just get the ball to Wes in one-on-one situations and let him do his thing. If he can do all that well, he'll also be able to score enough for us to get to the sweet 16 level.

jardine is not Flynn and he has had off the court issues. It's a big dropoff from Flynn to jardine and it's alot to ask a guy who wasn't really effective as a frashman to sit out a yera and come in and replace a guy like Flynn.

Wesley johnson is a good prospect but SU fans are talking like he is carmelo. His #s did go down in his 2nd season and while he had a good freshman year he wasn't an All-American. he might live up to expectations but I think the expectations on this guy are a little high.

Hopefully for you guys this is all meaningless talk and Flynn comes back.

jardine is not Flynn and he has had off the court issues. It's a big dropoff from Flynn to jardine and it's alot to ask a guy who wasn't really effective as a frashman to sit out a yera and come in and replace a guy like Flynn.

Wesley johnson is a good prospect but SU fans are talking like he is carmelo. His #s did go down in his 2nd season and while he had a good freshman year he wasn't an All-American. he might live up to expectations but I think the expectations on this guy are a little high.

Hopefully for you guys this is all meaningless talk and Flynn comes back.

The kid (Johnson) is an athletic specimen. There aren't to many 6'8, 220 guys in the nation that have half the vertical and the speed that this guy possesses. For an athlete and basketball player of his ability, although he did okay at Iowa State, he should have done much better. I think he would agree with this as well, which is probably a big reason for his transfer, as he did not get along well with his former coach and thought he was being misused in his system. I truly believe he is going to absolutely shock people all over the nation next season... Which is why I think there's a chance that next season will also be his 1st and last wearing an Orange uniform. I agree, I hope this is meaningless talk as well (about Jardine), as a Flynn return would make us contenders to be cutting nets a year from now. However, I do think we'll still be a good team and a tough out in the tourney regardless.

Well, that sucks. Good for him though.

This teams takes a step back without those three.

Absolutely. We go from Final Four/Nat Champ favorites to Sweet 16 at best. Sucks as a fan, but cant really blame Jonny for doing what he feels is best for himself. Thanks for everything Jonny, good luck in the league!

Call me crazy but I think next year's team can be better than this year's.

Don't forget we were "Sweet 16 at best this year".

Wes Johnson is going to be an absolute stud IMO and our best player. Our front court will be vastly improved with Rick Jackson and Arinze, with DaShonte Riley being in the mix as well. Also, the Orange next year will be a BIG team with no one shorter than 6'3". The starters' heights are as follows: 6'9", 6'9", 6'7", 6'6", and 6'3". No one on the bench shorter than 6'4". Scoop Jardine will be a solid PG, and he will make up some of the offensive production that will be leaving along with Flynn. Brandon Triche, a good 1.5 kind of player from Central NY will be a stud also. The defense can't be overlooked either. Rautins is a MUCH better defender than Devendorf, who won't be missed at all in that department. The 2-3 will be more effective this year.

Starting Lineup :

Wes Johson - SF

Rick Jackson - PF/C

Arinze Onuaku - PF/C

Andy Rautins - SG

Scoop Jardine - PG

The bench will be one of the team's strengths, unlike last year.

- -Just some thoughts I threw together.

Call me crazy but I think next year's team can be better than this year's.

Don't forget we were "Sweet 16 at best this year".

Wes Johnson is going to be an absolute stud IMO and our best player. Our front court will be vastly improved with Rick Jackson and Arinze, with DaShonte Riley being in the mix as well. Also, the Orange next year will be a BIG team with no one shorter than 6'3". The starters' heights are as follows: 6'9", 6'9", 6'7", 6'6", and 6'3". No one on the bench shorter than 6'4". Scoop Jardine will be a solid PG, and he will make up some of the offensive production that will be leaving along with Flynn. Brandon Triche, a good 1.5 kind of player from Central NY will be a stud also. The defense can't be overlooked either. Rautins is a MUCH better defender than Devendorf, who won't be missed at all in that department. The 2-3 will be more effective this year.

Starting Lineup :

Wes Johson - SF

Rick Jackson - PF/C

Arinze Onuaku - PF/C

Andy Rautins - SG

Scoop Jardine - PG

The bench will be one of the team's strengths, unlike last year.

- -Just some thoughts I threw together.

Not sure about that. Scoop is pretty good, but he's a huge drop off from Flynn. Im worried about who we have that can really get in the lane and take it to the rack against their man. We lose the three guys that were the best at that last season. Our outside shooting also takes a hit with Jonny and Eric gone. Yes, scoop is okay but if Andy isn't feelin' it (and there have been those nights, Im not confident in the shooting abilities of any of our bench players. As for the bench, I agree we're pretty deep, but Boeheim is notorious for keeping his rotation to about 7 mostly, sometimes he'll go 8 but thats about it. I can see the 7 this year being Scoop, Andy, Rick, Arinze, Wes, Kris Joseph, and Brandon Triche. Mookie Jones could potentially sneak in there to make it an 8 man rotation but he's gunna have to show a lot of improvement this offseason for that to be a realistic possibility.

I say at best we get to the sweet 16 next year.

when disussing a teams future always remember the fans of that team will generally over-rate them ..its human nature ;)

Of course lol, I had Syracuse in the Final Four this past year. I did overrate them in my last post a tad, I'll admit ;).

Horrible decision IMO. I wish him best of luck but as it looks now he's going to be the 5th PG selected in the draft, after Rubio, Jennings, Lawson, and Curry. And that's best case scenario. I also think Evans might go ahead of him. If he stays there's not many PG prospects next year, he leads a Top 5-10 team, and he's Top 10 in the draft without question.

**** you Leon Rose.

Absolutely. We go from Final Four/Nat Champ favorites to Sweet 16 at best. Sucks as a fan, but cant really blame Jonny for doing what he feels is best for himself. Thanks for everything Jonny, good luck in the league!

I feel for you guys, I don't think any program has lost more guys early than UNC so I know what you are going through. This year it will be easier to take since they won it all but McAdoo, Worthy, Jordan, Reid,Stackhouse, Wallace, McInnis, Jamison, Carter, Forte, May, Felton, McCants, Marvin Williams, Brandan Wright and a bunch of guys who would have been Heels had the gone to College. It sucks but you can't blame guys for wanting to make alot of money.

I feel for you guys, I don't think any program has lost more guys early than UNC so I know what you are going through. This year it will be easier to take since they won it all but McAdoo, Worthy, Jordan, Reid,Stackhouse, Wallace, McInnis, Jamison, Carter, Forte, May, Felton, McCants, Marvin Williams, Brandan Wright and a bunch of guys who would have been Heels had the gone to College. It sucks but you can't blame guys for wanting to make alot of money.

You can't even compare the two right now (UNC & SU).

YOU GUYS JUST WON!!!!!!!!!!!!

True, and they've won a lot more over the years than us too. Next year would probably have been one of JB's last runs at a 2nd ring. Lets face it, the guys 65, has 3 young kids, and a hot, young, wife. He's not going o be running this show for all that much longer.

I understand that BUT through the years the Heels have lost alot more players early. the heels were losing players before most of CBB caught up. Imagine the '83 Heels that lost in the Regional Final having a Senior James Worthy? Imagine the '85 Heels that lost in the regional Final w/ a Senior Michael Jordan? Imagine the '96-'97 heels w/ Stackouse & Wallace added to jamison & carter and others? The heels have lost many title opportunities throught he years thanks to players leaving early(or not even going to College).

I understand that BUT through the years the Heels have lost alot more players early. the heels were losing players before most of CBB caught up. Imagine the '83 Heels that lost in the Regional Final having a Senior James Worthy? Imagine the '85 Heels that lost in the regional Final w/ a Senior Michael Jordan? Imagine the '96-'97 heels w/ Stackouse & Wallace added to jamison & carter and others? The heels have lost many title opportunities throught he years thanks to players leaving early(or not even going to College).

But Carolina has had so much success compared to any program outside of UCLA & Kentucky, so having a few guys over the course of 3 decades leave early isn't that big of a deal. UNC will still find ways to win.

You can't compare Syracuse and North Carolina on the college basketball spectrum, it's not even close. That being said, Syracuse had a golden opportunity to win it all next year, and now it's gone with the Big Three.

But Carolina has had so much success compared to any program outside of Kentucky, so having a few guys over the course of 3 decades leave early isn't that big of a deal. UNC will still find ways to win.

You can't compare Syracuse and North Carolina on the college basketball spectrum, it's not even close. That being said, Syracuse had a golden opportunity to win it all next year, and now it's gone with the Big Three.

In the post UCLA (cheating) dynasty no program has had more success than Carolina but that doesn't change the fact that probably no program has lost more players early. UNC was losing players early LONG before most of CBB. Carolina has found ways to be good after losing players early but they have lost many title shots.

Imagine the '85 Heels that lost in the regional Final w/ a Senior Michael Jordan?

Don't be bitter... Jordan may not have made a difference back then. Everyone thought that Georgetown with Ewing was unstoppable, and they couldn't beat Villanova in 1985 (actually, they did, twice, but not in the Tournament).

Don't be bitter... Jordan may not have made a difference back then. Everyone thought that Georgetown with Ewing was unstoppable, and they couldn't beat Villanova in 1985 (actually, they did, twice, but not in the Tournament).

I'll take my chances w/ Jordan on the team.

True, and they've won a lot more over the years than us too. Next year would probably have been one of JB's last runs at a 2nd ring. Lets face it, the guys 65, has 3 young kids, and a hot, young, wife. He's not going o be running this show for all that much longer.

True. Calhoun is getting near the end too. The next generation in the Big East is going to be Jay Wright, Dixon and JTIII, I think.

True. Calhoun is getting near the end too. The next generation in the Big East is going to be Jay Wright, Dixon and JTIII, I think.

Im not so sure about JTIII. Hasn't been able to do crap without an Al-American, 7 foot C in the middle in Hibbert. In fact, I dont think he's even made the NCAA tourney without him.

Wright and Dixon should stay where they are for awhile, and both schools will do everything in their power to keep them there. We'll see what happens with Keno Davis in Providence and Bob Huggins with West Virginia. Both have potential to remain at those schools for awhile also...Although if Davis is successful I have a gut feeling Provy will just be a gateway towards whatever his dream job is.

WTF is going on. Jonny please come out and say something.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/news/story?id=4068981

He did. He sat down with a reporter from the Syr Post Standard and said he was going to sign with agent Leon Rose (also agent to Lebron James and OJ Mayo) sometime this week. One of my sources with the team also revealed to me earlier today that Jonny left town yesterday evening and is at home waiting to receive Rose's paperwork in the mail. I am told to expect an official announcement by no later than Friday.

Im not sure what Boeheim is up to here... I just hope he's up to something or the apparent player-coach communication problem is a lot worse than I imagined.

Im not so sure about JTIII. Hasn't been able to do crap without an Al-American, 7 foot C in the middle in Hibbert. In fact, I dont think he's even made the NCAA tourney without him.

Wright and Dixon should stay where they are for awhile, and both schools will do everything in their power to keep them there. We'll see what happens with Keno Davis in Providence and Bob Huggins with West Virginia. Both have potential to remain at those schools for awhile also...Although if Davis is successful I have a gut feeling Provy will just be a gateway towards whatever his dream job is.

I like Dixon, he comes across as a good guy but he hasn't gotten it done in March. His teams consistently underachieve.

He did. He sat down with a reporter from the Syr Post Standard and said he was going to sign with agent Leon Rose (also agent to Lebron James and OJ Mayo) sometime this week. One of my sources with the team also revealed to me earlier today that Jonny left town yesterday evening and is at home waiting to receive Rose's paperwork in the mail. I am told to expect an official announcement by no later than Friday.

Im not sure what Boeheim is up to here... I just hope he's up to something or the apparent player-coach communication problem is a lot worse than I imagined.

I didn't get the impression from the article that Jonny actually was interviewed. All the info came from sources, "trusted sources," etc. Which doesn't make them not credible, but I'm still waiting to hear something from Jonny himself.

I highly doubt Jimmy B. doesn't know what's going on.

This Paul Harris stuff is too funny, though. I mean, Jim, I know you didn't like the guy, but could you be any more obvious about trying to force him out?

Harris deserves a lot of the blame for this also.... I mean you tell coach on several occasions that you plan on entering the draft, then after the loss, disappear for two weeks, dont answer your phone, and dont talk to any coaches or other people in the program. Does that sounds like someone thats considering sticking around for another year to you?

Yes, JB and co. shouldve gotten confirmation before releasing him on that list, but Harris definitely deserves a good amount of blame for this situation as well.

Archived