'Cuse Fans: Three Declare for the Draft

uart

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Devendorf will likely be playing in Europe. The guy already has about 9 kids so he needs to be able to provide for them, I think that is why he is going.

Paul is the one with "nine kids" and he has only two. Devendorf has one kid. You can't really blame any of them for leaving, it's just very disappointing, this team could have had something special this upcoming year, not just another "good" season. Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see how things play out......

Paul is the one with "nine kids" and he has only two. Devendorf has one kid. You can't really blame any of them for leaving, it's just very disappointing, this team could have had something special this upcoming year, not just another "good" season. Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see how things play out......

wow,,really????

Is that the norm for Cuse in past? Or just a 'this team' thing with teens with kids playin ball?

As far as I know it's just Devendorf and Harris this year.

Harris is a goner regardless of what happens. If Devendorf isnt projected to get drafted he'll come back for his final year of eligibility and Jonny wants to come back but his return depends on a number of factors. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say we keep both Flynn and Devo next year, but its way too soon to know for sure.

Harris is a goner regardless of what happens. If Devendorf isnt projected to get drafted he'll come back for his final year of eligibility and Jonny wants to come back but his return depends on a number of factors. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say we keep both Flynn and Devo next year, but its way too soon to know for sure.

I don't think so. Devendorf already hired an agent and I think he will be playing Europe ball. Harris hired an agent as well. Flynn is obviously the most important out of the three, but losing Devo will be huge. He's our best three point shooter and our most clutch player IMO. He also brings a lot of swagger to this team. He will be tough to replace. Harris is very replaceable with Wes Johnson and our freshman crop coming in this year.

Flynn coming back depends on how the scouts in the NBA see him. If he is projected top 10, we can say bye to him, otherwise I'm optimistic that he'll be back.

I don't think so. Devendorf already hired an agent and I think he will be playing Europe ball. Harris hired an agent as well. Flynn is obviously the most important out of the three, but losing Devo will be huge. He's our best three point shooter and our most clutch player IMO. He also brings a lot of swagger to this team. He will be tough to replace. Harris is very replaceable with Wes Johnson and our freshman crop coming in this year.

Flynn coming back depends on how the scouts in the NBA see him. If he is projected top 10, we can say bye to him, otherwise I'm optimistic that he'll be back.

Really Devo has been all over the place the past few weeks. All season he was confident that hed be back for his last year of eligibility, and after we lost in the tourney he stated that he wants to come back. Then i hear from a few of my own sources that all indications are that he is coming back, then he enters his name, then he says im gone no matter what, I need money. If he in fact has hired an agent, and my source couldnt tell me either way as he hadnt heard anything, then he is ineligible to come back next season. Devendorf I agree will be tough to replace, but I actually think Andy Rautins will be a better fit for our team as, IMO, he's a much better all-around player because of his rebounding and defensive abilities. He is also a much better decision maker---we really don't need two guys (Flynn and Devo) to play the same game. Thats also why I think we played better as a team when Rautins started in place of Devo during his suspension.

Plus, the additions of Brandon Triche, who is expected to make an impact right away, and the eligibility of Scoop Jardine and Mookie Jones, who were both redshirts this season, will mean we will still be very good and VERY deep at the Guard position, especially if Flynn stays.

I think if we get Jonny back, we can be national championship contenders...If we don't, we'll probably only as good as a sweet 16 team, at best.

Plus Brandon Triche coming in is expected to make an immediate impact, and we get Scoop Jardine back from his redshirt and Mookie Jones as well.

If Flynn leaves, it hurts you guys bad.

Yes, but not as bad as people think. Jardine wasnt bad at all his Freshman year and now he got a free year of practice. Brandon Triche is also plenty capable of playing a few positions at the point here and there.

The other thing is we have such balanced talent last year, the three way combo of Wes Johnson, AO, and Rick Jackson will prove to be one of the elite frontcourts in the nation next year. Add in the sharpshooting of Andy Rautins, and we dont even need a great scoring PG, just a guy capable of spreading it around and putting his teammates in position to do what they do. Of course, having a player that can do both (Flynn) is the best of all scenarios and we are obviously a much better team with him on the roster, but we'd still probably be capable of repeating what we accomplished this season without him.

Yes, but not as bad as people think. Jardine wasnt bad at all his Freshman year and now he got a free year of practice. Brandon Triche is also plenty capable of playing a few positions at the point here and there.

The other thing is we have such balanced talent last year, the three way combo of Wes Johnson, AO, and Rick Jackson will prove to be one of the elite frontcourts in the nation next year. Add in the sharpshooting of Andy Rautins, and we dont even need a great scoring PG, just a guy capable of spreading it around and putting his teammates in position to do what they do. Of course, having a player that can do both (Flynn) is the best of all scenarios and we are obviously a much better team with him on the roster, but we'd still probably be capable of repeating what we accomplished this season without him.

It's simple, we can win a NC with Flynn.

We can't without him.

I think without Flynn, we will be as good as we were this year or right around there. With Flynn, we're a FF favorite and will be contending for a NC.

he is your best player and you'll lose 2 more important players in Devendorf and Harris. Thise 2 you can get by w/o but adding Flynn and mkaingn it a trio will make it difficult to be as good. Flynn is a top flight PG, those guys aren't easily replaced. The heels are in a simialr spot, if Lawson comes back(I doubt it) the Heels will be a FF favorite but w/o him it will be very dificult.

he is your best player and you'll lose 2 more important players in Devendorf and Harris. Thise 2 you can get by w/o but adding Flynn and mkaingn it a trio will make it difficult to be as good. Flynn is a top flight PG, those guys aren't easily replaced. The heels are in a simialr spot, if Lawson comes back(I doubt it) the Heels will be a FF favorite but w/o him it will be very dificult.

I agree we won't be as good w/o him. I think we're about sweet 16 good without him.. FF good with him. If we do lose all 3...

We still have Andy Rautins, Arinze Onuaku, and Rick Jackson returning to the starting lineup, and we add Iowa St. transfer Wes Johnson, who even Boeheim said would've probably been the best player on the team if he was eligible this past year and many a expert agree he could've easily been declaring for the draft right about now should he have stayed with Iowa St. instead of transferring. That extra year of practice and maturity will only make him even better.

We also have Scoop Jardine coming off his redshirt also having gained an extra year of practice and maturity. And he wasn't half bad his Frosh year for that stretch of games where he was the starting PG and Flynn the SG due to injuries to Devo and Rautins. Not to mention we have Brandon Triche, a top flight G prospect who played for the 2X defending state champion Jamesville-Dewitt HS team, who figures to make an immediate impact as well. Both Mookie Jones and Kris Joseph, both entering their soph years, figure to make a bigger impact as well. Thats why I say w/o flynn we'll still potentially be sweet 16 good. With Flynn, we'll be extraordinarily good though.

Agreed, he needs to stay.

Well, I mean, I'd rather stay an extra year and get a year's worth of grad school classes (or whatever) paid for, than go undrafted. If he realizes that he's probably not going to be an NBA player, and he just doesn't want to spend another year in school, then maybe it isn't a horrible decision.

As it stands right now though, he's got free school, free room, free board and another year of it in the bank if he didn't go pro.

Of course, he's got a decent chance of catching on in Europe, and if that is ultimately his goal, then he should be able to achieve it.

Well, I mean, I'd rather stay an extra year and get a year's worth of grad school classes (or whatever) paid for, than go undrafted. If he realizes that he's probably not going to be an NBA player, and he just doesn't want to spend another year in school, then maybe it isn't a horrible decision.

As it stands right now though, he's got free school, free room, free board and another year of it in the bank if he didn't go pro.

Of course, he's got a decent chance of catching on in Europe, and if that is ultimately his goal, then he should be able to achieve it.

Europe is a very nice lifestyle for the kid who doesnt 'need' millions and has a different look on life and its varied cultures. The pay is damn good compared to going to work 9 to 5 in a office.

JGBs knows several former Univ. North Carolina players that went the Europe /Australia etc route and they all loved it. Some stayed and live there full or part time.

It does take a special person who has a healthy outlook on life.

Europe is a very nice lifestyle for the kid who doesnt 'need' millions and has a different look on life and its varied cultures. The pay is damn good compared to going to work 9 to 5 in a office.

JGBs knows several former Univ. North Carolina players that went the Europe /Australia etc route and they all loved it. Some stayed and live there full or part time.

It does take a special person who has a healthy outlook on life.

Exactly. Devo knows hes probably not going to get drafted. but he has a chance at getting signed to a preseason contract and trying to prove himself there. If that doesnt work out (which it probably won't) he can always go play in the DLeague or overseas and make a decent enough salary for his family while still playing the sport he loves. And since he's about to earn his degree in May, he will probably be able to find a solid job whenever his basketball playing days do officially come to an end. I think staying an extra year would help him a decent amount and I think he'd have a shot at getting drafted if he were to stay. but he needs to start making some money for his family, and since he's got a degree and knows he'd only be a fringe NBA player at best for a few years, I understand the move completely and wish him luck.

Exactly. Devo knows hes probably not going to get drafted. but he has a chance at getting signed to a preseason contract and trying to prove himself there. If that doesnt work out (which it probably won't) he can always go play in the DLeague or overseas and make a decent enough salary for his family while still playing the sport he loves. And since he's about to earn his degree in May, he will probably be able to find a solid job whenever his basketball playing days do officially come to an end. I think staying an extra year would help him a decent amount and I think he'd have a shot at getting drafted if he were to stay. but he needs to start making some money for his family, and since he's got a degree and knows he'd only be a fringe NBA player at best for a few years, I understand the move completely and wish him luck.

europe now pays alot more than people think and the guys tell me they play once/twice a week to boot..

Here's my take; not a lot that hasn't already been said yet, but I'm itching to get my two cents in as a Cuse fan.

Obviously, Jonny is the key. If he comes back, with or without Harris and Devo, we're a Top 5-10 team all year and Final Four contenders. If Flynn doesn't come back, regardless of whether Harris and/or Devo do, I don't think we're anywhere near the Final Four.

I'm actually GLAD Harris is leaving. He and Boeheim have had their share of troubles the past three years. He wouldn't even have been starting next year (Wes Johnson will start) and would probably complain about it and give the team more trouble than it wants. Devo and Harris really have nothign to lose, though. They can always come back if they're not gonna get drafted. But I think Harris is done regardless, and maybe Devo too. Even if Devo leaves, we still have Rautins, who is the same type of shooter and IMO a better all-around player with his solid defensive skills. He's not as good of a driver to the basket, but Devo ****s that up half the time anyway.

But if we have a lineup of:

Flynn

Rautins

Wes Johnson

Rick Jackson

Onuaku

That's a NC-contender right there, still. With a bench of Triche, DaShonte Riley--both of whom will contribute immediately--Kris Joseph, Scoop, and Mookie Jones. IMO their starting lineup is better than this year's and they'll be a solid 8-10 deep, depending on how good Triche and Riley are off the bat.

Please, Jonny, please come back. That's the bottom line.

I agree we won't be as good w/o him. I think we're about sweet 16 good without him.. FF good with him. If we do lose all 3...

We still have Andy Rautins, Arinze Onuaku, and Rick Jackson returning to the starting lineup, and we add Iowa St. transfer Wes Johnson, who even Boeheim said would've probably been the best player on the team if he was eligible this past year and many a expert agree he could've easily been declaring for the draft right about now should he have stayed with Iowa St. instead of transferring. That extra year of practice and maturity will only make him even better.

We also have Scoop Jardine coming off his redshirt also having gained an extra year of practice and maturity. And he wasn't half bad his Frosh year for that stretch of games where he was the starting PG and Flynn the SG due to injuries to Devo and Rautins. Not to mention we have Brandon Triche, a top flight G prospect who played for the 2X defending state champion Jamesville-Dewitt HS team, who figures to make an immediate impact as well. Both Mookie Jones and Kris Joseph, both entering their soph years, figure to make a bigger impact as well. Thats why I say w/o flynn we'll still potentially be sweet 16 good. With Flynn, we'll be extraordinarily good though.

You were Sweet 16 good WITH him this year and you weren't even competitive in the Sweet 16 game. You have other good pieces but he is far and away your best and most important player. Could you make a surprise Sweet 16 run? sure but I wouldn't consider SU a Sweet 16 type team w/o him. Just my opinion.

You were Sweet 16 good WITH him this year and you weren't even competitive in the Sweet 16 game. You have other good pieces but he is far and away your best and most important player. Could you make a surprise Sweet 16 run? sure but I wouldn't consider SU a Sweet 16 type team w/o him. Just my opinion.

Even if they lose Flynn, this will be their rotation:

Arinze

Rick Jackson

Wes Johnson (stud from ISU)

Andy Rautins

Scoop Jardine (red shirt last year)

----------------

Freshman Triche (SG)

Freshman Riley ©

Sophomore Joseph (SF)

I might be leaving one or two people out, but that right there is a Sweet 16 good rotation of players.

A year more experience for those other pieces + the addition of Wes Johnson and a deeper bench next year would make us a better team. Thats why we'd be FF contenders next year if we got the same team back, instead of sweet 16 contenders again.

A year more experience for those other pieces + the addition of Wes Johnson and a deeper bench next year would make us a better team. Thats why we'd be FF contenders next year if we got the same team back, instead of sweet 16 contenders again.

ya maybe,,just never know how 'new' pieces will fit though,,UNC in same position,,how will new talented kids fit in,,the great unknown..

Even if they lose Flynn, this will be their rotation:

Arinze

Rick Jackson

Wes Johnson (stud from ISU)

Andy Rautins

Scoop Jardine (red shirt last year)

----------------

Freshman Triche (SG)

Freshman Riley ©

Sophomore Joseph (SF)

I might be leaving one or two people out, but that right there is a Sweet 16 good rotation of players.

That doesn't look Sweet 16 good to me especially w/o a PG.

But you will be losing your best and most important player. As great as the Heels were this year I'm not sure they could have made the FF w/o Lawson. He was the key and the supporting cast around Lawson was alot better than what would be around Flynn. SU has talent w/o a doubt but it would take alot to make the Sweet 16 w/o him and w/ him I think they are a FF favorite. Remember you'd also be losing devendorf and Harris as well, those are all quality backcourt players. I don't know if any team will have a better frontcourt than the heels next year but where they will lack is losing Lawson and Ellington(and Green on the wing). That's alot to replace.

That doesn't look Sweet 16 good to me especially w/o a PG.

But you will be losing your best and most important player. As great as the Heels were this year I'm not sure they could have made the FF w/o Lawson. He was the key and the supporting cast around Lawson was alot better than what would be around Flynn. SU has talent w/o a doubt but it would take alot to make the Sweet 16 w/o him and w/ him I think they are a FF favorite. Remember you'd also be losing devendorf and Harris as well, those are all quality backcourt players. I don't know if any team will have a better frontcourt than the heels next year but where they will lack is losing Lawson and Ellington(and Green on the wing). That's alot to replace.

Scoop Jardine is a PG...And a pretty good one at that. Because of how good Flynn is, and because Jardine was a redshirt this past year, that fact has been lost on a lot of people. Is he as good as a scorer as Flynn? No, of course not. But with the supporting cast around him, he doesnt have to be a great scorer for us to be a sweet 16 team. He just needs to be able to feed it down low to AO/Rick, kick out to Andy, and just get the ball to Wes in one-on-one situations and let him do his thing. If he can do all that well, he'll also be able to score enough for us to get to the sweet 16 level.

Archived