Lions with the number 1 pick in the draft

faba

Source: Lions have not made a final decision on drafting Matthew Stafford

by Tom Kowalski Thursday April 09, 2009, 4:20 PM

There have been numerous reports, including one on ProFootballTalk.com, that the Detroit Lions have already decided on drafting Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford. According to a league source, those reports are premature. The Lions have narrowed their list, but there's one very good reason why a final decision has yet to be made.

The Lions have made it clear they want to have their No. 1 pick under contract by the time the draft starts on April 25. According to the source, there have only been preliminary contract discussions with several draft prospects and that no signing is imminent. Because of the new rules involved in the 2010 uncapped season, contract language will be more complex than rookie deals in recent years.

In addition to Stafford, other potential draft picks include Baylor tackle Jason Smith, Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry and Virginia tackle Eugene Monroe.

Contract talks are expected to heat up and become more specific next week. While the Lions will ultimately have a No. 1 target and try to get that player signed, they will also try to play each of the players against each other to try to get the best deal. In the end, though, if the No. 1 target doesn't come to terms, the Lions will then turn to target No. 2 and then, if necessary, target No. 3.

The Miami Dolphins used the same philsophy with the first overall pick last season when they were negotiating with four different players before they signed Michigan tackle Jake Long prior to the draft.

Again, according to the source, Detroit's No. 1 target has yet to be identified.

It's possible that Sanchez could leapfrog Stafford. On Jets Nation on SNY yesterday, Adam Schein believes that Matt Stafford will drop out of the top 10.

I think Detroit will draft the guy from Baylor.

Wow. I think we should trade up for him then.

sometimes the key to success in the NFL is sucking at the right time. The jets had the # 1 pick two years in a row and didn't get a QB

the cowboys got aikman and irving ( I think)

the Lions get stafford or an OT

this is a good year to pick #17

Ten Nuggets Mined From Mayock

1. "This is by far the worst year for the top 10 that I've seen. Down around 18, 20, you'll get every bit the player you'll get in the top 10 for a third of the price.''

sometimes the key to success in the NFL is sucking at the right time. The jets had the # 1 pick two years in a row and didn't get a QB

1. "This is by far the worst year for the top 10 that I've seen. Down around 18, 20, you'll get every bit the player you'll get in the top 10 for a third of the price.''

2006 was like that also. No one wanted to trade up for a similar player, higher salary, and loss of other pick(s). The exception was Denver jumping up to grab Cutler, but there was little reason to believe Cutler would still be there when their pick came up. Then again, he went at 11, so it's not like they had to move up to #7 to get him either.

I see it somewhat differently. In this draft you can get the same quality player at Round 1 Pick 15-20 that you can get at Round 2, Pick 10.

It's possible that Sanchez could leapfrog Stafford. On Jets Nation on SNY yesterday, Adam Schein believes that Matt Stafford will drop out of the top 10.

I think Detroit will draft the guy from Baylor.

That's Scheins opinion but IMO he's dead wrong.

This draft is loaded with Left Tackles, not so much Quarterbacks. Detroit is lucky to be in the situation that they are in with the 1st and 20th selections in the 1st round.

Take Stafford at 1, then take your Tackle at 20.

Archived