Sanchez, Quinn, Campbell....BULGER?!?

TaborJet

Stafford signing: Lions play their hand, come up aces

April 24, 2009

Albert Breer

In the end, the six-year, $78 million deal reached between the Detroit Lions and Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford late Friday wasn't just the move Detroit wanted to make.

It was the move the Lions had to make.

Take new coach Jim Schwartz's own words from the NFL Scouting Combine two months ago.

"You can go play blackjack in Vegas and play the $5 table and play for a couple hours and make a lot of bad decisions and lose $100 and have some fun," he said. "If you go play at the $5,000 or $10,000 table, if you make bad decisions you're walking home, you're not flying home.

"I think you've got to add that into the equation. Not only is it an opportunity to get a great player, but you need to make sure."

Bottom line: When Lions officials decided Stafford was, indeed, a quarterback to build a franchise around, they had to do whatever it took to get him.

So maybe forking over $41.7 million guaranteed -- 20 percent more than Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan got last year as part of the richest-ever rookie contract -- isn't the easiest thing to do. But given that Detroit felt it had a superstar gunslinger in its grasp, the Lions had to make the move.

Aaron Curry could be an All-Pro linebacker. Jason Smith could be the next Anthony Munoz. But if Stafford proves to be a Super Bowl quarterback, it won't matter what the other guys become.

Here's some more of the fallout from the Lions' megadeal:

The Mark Sanchez sweepstakes is officially on. Just about every team from two through eight will auction its pick to those desperate to trade up. If you believe the Seattle Seahawks still are a threat to take Sanchez, the Kansas City Chiefs -- with eager-to-deal-down GM Scott Pioli in command -- could be the sweet spot at No. 3 overall.

The veteran quarterback market also is open. If the Cleveland Browns take Sanchez at No. 5, Brady Quinn could be available.The New York Jets, according to sources, continue to show interest in both Washington Redskins QB Jason Campbell and St. Louis Rams QB Marc Bulger. The Denver Broncos could make a play for Quinn, and the Jets likely would be involved as well.

The Rams are on the clock and have put out word that they could take Sanchez. Is it a ploy? Maybe, Maybe not. One thing is clear: The Rams desperately need a left tackle, and Baylor's Jason Smith or Virginia's Eugene Monroe certainly would fit the bill.

Staff writer Albert Breer covers the NFL for Sporting News. E-mail him at abreer@sportingnews.com.

Stafford signing: Lions play their hand, come up aces

April 24, 2009

Albert Breer

In the end, the six-year, $78 million deal reached between the Detroit Lions and Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford late Friday wasn't just the move Detroit wanted to make.

It was the move the Lions had to make.

Take new coach Jim Schwartz's own words from the NFL Scouting Combine two months ago.

"You can go play blackjack in Vegas and play the $5 table and play for a couple hours and make a lot of bad decisions and lose $100 and have some fun," he said. "If you go play at the $5,000 or $10,000 table, if you make bad decisions you're walking home, you're not flying home.

"I think you've got to add that into the equation. Not only is it an opportunity to get a great player, but you need to make sure."

Bottom line: When Lions officials decided Stafford was, indeed, a quarterback to build a franchise around, they had to do whatever it took to get him.

So maybe forking over $41.7 million guaranteed -- 20 percent more than Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan got last year as part of the richest-ever rookie contract -- isn't the easiest thing to do. But given that Detroit felt it had a superstar gunslinger in its grasp, the Lions had to make the move.

Aaron Curry could be an All-Pro linebacker. Jason Smith could be the next Anthony Munoz. But if Stafford proves to be a Super Bowl quarterback, it won't matter what the other guys become.

Here's some more of the fallout from the Lions' megadeal:

The Mark Sanchez sweepstakes is officially on. Just about every team from two through eight will auction its pick to those desperate to trade up. If you believe the Seattle Seahawks still are a threat to take Sanchez, the Kansas City Chiefs -- with eager-to-deal-down GM Scott Pioli in command -- could be the sweet spot at No. 3 overall.

The veteran quarterback market also is open. If the Cleveland Browns take Sanchez at No. 5, Brady Quinn could be available.The New York Jets, according to sources, continue to show interest in both Washington Redskins QB Jason Campbell and St. Louis Rams QB Marc Bulger. The Denver Broncos could make a play for Quinn, and the Jets likely would be involved as well.

The Rams are on the clock and have put out word that they could take Sanchez. Is it a ploy? Maybe, Maybe not. One thing is clear: The Rams desperately need a left tackle, and Baylor's Jason Smith or Virginia's Eugene Monroe certainly would fit the bill.

Staff writer Albert Breer covers the NFL for Sporting News. E-mail him at abreer@sportingnews.com.

KC will be better than Bulger

If jets make a play for Scarecrow...More golf for Afo...Bulger suks donkey

smegma

KC will be better than Bulger

If jets make a play for Scarecrow...More golf for Afo...Bulger suks donkey

smegma

i dont want Bulger either, but he does play good behind a great O-line...which we have...

but , i'd rather see Clemens over him.

If we dont trade up to draft Sanchez, how could we though? He could be gone at pick #2 once the Rams select, well then you know what?

Pass on Bulger

Pass on Quinn

Give Kellen Clemens a fair chance here in 2009 with a tough Rex Ryan 3-4 Defense.

An O-Line with Ferguson (4th year starter), Faneca (Future HOF), Mangold (4th Year starter), Moore and Woody (Veteran RT) Because in 2007 he had no chance in hell with Vilma and Robertson in a 3-4 Defense with Will "Freaking" Montgomery as the starting "LG" with Anthony "Freaking" Clement as our starting "RT". Lets not forget that Ferguson and Mangold were both ONLY 2nd year players who were fresh off of rookie seasons and I remember Mangold missing a game or two there in 2007.

I'm all for the Jets making a run @ Mark Sanchez, he can be special, but...How about we Give Kellen a chance here in 2009 with a stout Defense, Solid Rushing Attack with a top 5 O-Line before we go and trade for QB's such as Bulger or Quinn? Now, if Kellen cant get it done here in 2009, Well then... it's time to REALLY draft a QB witht he 1st pick next year.

Bradford anyone?

Bulger is still relatively young (31) but is 3 years removed from being the Marc Bulger that I would want leading the team. In his defense he was throwing to an older Torry Holt and Steven Jackson out of the backfield and he would be better behind our OL in my opinion... and he wouldn't lose any games for us so if we are going to look for somebody to manage the game while our defense does the dirty work he could certainly work if the price is right.

If we dont trade up to draft Sanchez, how could we though? He could be gone at pick #2 once the Rams select, well then you know what?

Pass on Bulger

Pass on Quinn

Give Kellen Clemens a fair chance here in 2009 with a tough Rex Ryan 3-4 Defense.

An O-Line with Ferguson (4th year starter), Faneca (Future HOF), Mangold (4th Year starter), Moore and Woody (Veteran RT) Because in 2007 he had no chance in hell with Vilma and Robertson in a 3-4 Defense with Will "Freaking" Montgomery as the starting "LG" with Anthony "Freaking" Clement as our starting "RT". Lets not forget that Ferguson and Mangold were both ONLY 2nd year players who were fresh off of rookie seasons and I remember Mangold missing a game or two there in 2007.

I'm all for the Jets making a run @ Mark Sanchez, he can be special, but...How about we Give Kellen a chance here in 2009 with a stout Defense, Solid Rushing Attack with a top 5 O-Line before we go and trade for QB's such as Bulger or Quinn? Now, if Kellen cant get it done here in 2009, Well then... it's time to REALLY draft a QB witht he 1st pick next year.

Bradford anyone?

Your a F'ing Dolphins fan. Seriously, STFU!

Bulger is still relatively young (31) but is 3 years removed from being the Marc Bulger that I would want leading the team. In his defense he was throwing to an older Torry Holt and Steven Jackson out of the backfield and he would be better behind our OL in my opinion... and he wouldn't lose any games for us so if we are going to look for somebody to manage the game while our defense does the dirty work he could certainly work if the price is right.

David Carr syndrone..he is finished

he is now a Int machine....i would rather have KC or rat IMO

the more I read how the jets want every QB discussed the past two weeks, the more I think it is all disinfo and smokescreen

they want to make sure all the GM's will think they are passing on a guy they love, so they haven't even breathed his name or brought him in for a sit down

one of the 'SC backers ?

maybe connor barwin isn't such a stupid theory

I wouldn't mind at least taking a look at Bulger if he's released. He was great with a great O-Line. If Rex or Schotty could give him a kick in the ass maybe he can wake up and return to form. It's worth bringing him in for a tryout. It's low risk, potentially high reward so I don't understand why people are so upset at this. The coaches will play the best available QB this year, whether that means Clemens, Ratliff, Ainge, someone they draft, or someone they pick up via trade or signing.

Why the **** would we want Bulger?

I do not want Bulger but I wouldn't be too upset if we got him. Why would we want him...

...Because he was better than anything we have put out there in a long time and is not that far removed from his very productive years... Because he would be playing behind an o-line that is good at protecting the passer... Because his targets last year left a great deal to be desired and he could have a killler security blanket in Dustin Keller... Because he was good enough in the not so distant pass to take a shot on him if the price is right.

Kellen Clemens was so underwhelming in TC last season that he could not beat out Pennington, who they rid of to bring in Favre. What else needs to be said.

Bring in Brady Quinn and win games. Simple as that.

so was CP early

this is his last shot

Archived