Bring Back The Winnipeg Jets!!!!

I'm all for moving Phoenix back to Canada.......but why Ontario? You already have the Sens and Maple Leafs.........Ontario doesn't need another team, especially in Hamilton, where you know they'd go.

winnipeg_jets_1992.gif

TORONTO (AP) - BlackBerry boss Jim Balsillie is looking to buy the cash-strapped Phoenix Coyotes and move them to Ontario.\

The co-CEO of BlackBerry maker Research In Motion said that his $212.5 million offer is conditional on the Coyotes relocating to Canada, where they existed as the Winnipeg Jets before moving to Phoenix for the 1996-97 season.

The team filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Tuesday. The filing included the proposed sale of the franchise to PSE Sports & Entertainment, LP, a Delaware limited partnership, which would move the franchise to southern Ontario.

"Extensive efforts have been undertaken to sell the team, or attract additional investors, who would keep the team in Glendale," Jerry Moyes, the Coyotes chief executive officer, said in a statement announcing the Chapter 11 filing. "Creating a process under the supervision of a judge assures that anyone wishing to purchase the team will have the opportunity to bid.

"Likewise, the City of Glendale, which has been very cooperative with efforts to keep the team in Glendale, will be able to provide potential buyers assurances of the city's willingness to offer incentives to keep the team as a tenant in the Jobing.com arena, the lease for which is subject to rejection in bankruptcy. The process assures that the identities of the new owner and the team's location will be known by June 30, 2009, thus enabling the NHL to include the team in its 2009-10 schedule."

Balsillie had made previous failed attempts to purchase the Nashville Predators and Pittsburgh Penguins with the hope of moving them to Hamilton, Ontario.

"The current team ownership asked that I table an offer to purchase the Coyotes and significant discussions resulted in an offer that is in the best interests of the franchise, the NHL, and the great hockey fans of Canada and Southern Ontario," Balsillie said in a statement.

"I am excited to move closer to bringing an NHL franchise to what I believe is one of the best unserved hockey markets in the world - southern Ontario. A market with devoted hockey fans, a rich hockey history, a growing and diversified economy and a population of more than seven million people."

At the request of the Coyotes ownership, Balsillie said he has also agreed to provide $17 million in financing to allow the franchise to keep going in advance of the sale.

Balsillie's offer does not guarantee that the Coyotes will move.

"If others want to come in and there's an offer that is deemed better by the courts, then ultimately that would be a court decision," said Steve Roman, a spokesman for Moyes. "As I understand it, the hope and the plan is that all of this would be dealt with by June 30, 2009. You have a person who has a purchase agreement, but at the same time there could be other players who want to get involved."

In March, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman reiterated the financially struggling Coyotes won't be relocated.

"Our goal is to bring in new capital and make this franchise solvent," Bettman said on March 26 while attending a Coyotes home game. "That's our direction, and at this point moving the franchise elsewhere is not on the table

Let them go to Quebec and rekindle the Canadiens vs Nordiques rivalry.

veX55rLYAgQ

The NHL has no buisness (IMHO) being in places like Phoenix, Tampa Bay, Florida, Atlanta. You might even be able to throw in Columbus and Nahsville as well.

Let them go to Quebec and rekindle the Canadiens vs Nordiques rivalry.

veX55rLYAgQ

The NHL has no buisness (IMHO) being in places like Phoenix, Tampa Bay, Florida, Atlanta. You might even be able to throw in Columbus and Nahsville as well.

Quebec%20Nordiques.JPG

I hated the Nords an in particular the Stasny brothers. Like the Hansons, but gheyer and ...did I say way gheyer.

Let me help you:

Islanders to Kansas City & the Western Conference

Red Wings to the Eastern Conference. :lol:

They could not handle it. ANaheim is kicking their ass. What happens when they have to face real teams day in and day out? ;)

BREAKING NEWS: Bettman and the NHL are going to fight any and all efforts to sell the team and move it to Canada. Bettman wants a team in Phoenix.

Good business move there Gary. Moving Winnipeg to the middle of the desert has done wonders........like caused them to declare bankruptcy.

:hand:

• 2 weeks later...

Hell yes it does. Put a team back in Winnipeg and Quebec City. The salary cap and an improved exchange rate will insure success in those markets. Don't event try to tell me freaking Phoenix is better...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/9549226/Coyotes-could-return-to-Winnipeg

PHOENIX (AP) - A lead attorney for the Phoenix Coyotes says NHL commissioner Gary Bettman told him he would rather return the team to Winnipeg than move to southern Ontario.

Earl Scudder related the comment in a declaration filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court, where a showdown over control of the team between the National Hockey League and owner Jerry Moyes is set for a hearing on Tuesday.

In court documents, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly called the bankruptcy filing "nothing more than a scheme to misuse this court and sidestep the NHL's transfer of ownership and relocation process, as well as the league's fundamental right to choose its own members and to decide where they should be located."

The bankruptcy plan before judge Redfield Baum would sell the team to Canadian Blackberry magnate Jim Balsillie for $212.5 million on the condition the team be moved to Hamilton in southern Ontario.

The NHL, which wants to keep the team in Glendale, Ariz. contends that since it had assumed control of the Coyotes, the bankruptcy filing was unauthorized and should be thrown out.

Bettman has said he doubts the league's owners would approve the sale to Balsillie, who failed in earlier attempts to purchase the Pittsburgh Penguins and Nashville Predators.

Moyes' attorneys have filed documents saying blocking the move to Canada would violate U.S. and Canadian antitrust law. The league says its authority already has been upheld by courts in both countries.

Winnipeg was only mentioned in passing and there is no other evidence the NHL is considering such a move.

Scudder, who was helping Moyes try to find a buyer, goes on to relate that in the April 3 conversation Bettman said he wanted to team to stay in Glendale because of the franchise's 25-year lease there.

Bettman is not wise enough to admit that his dream of expanding the NHL into every American market has been a complete and utter failure. Since the NHL started expanding heavily in 1993, only four expansion teams that I can think of have actually been successful in terms of building a fan base (That being Ottawa, Anaheim post-"mighty", San Jose, and Minnesota). Atlanta has been a failure. Nashville has been a failure. Columbus has struggled. And the Panthers? They are a complete joke. I lived in Boca for 4 years and every time I went to a Panthers game, snowbirds rooting for the visiting team always outnumbered Panther fans. No one cares down there, and it is hard for anything to top Football in that state.

NHL would be wise to move at least two teams back up to Canada. Put the Thrashers in Winnipeg or Quebec City and move Phoenix to either Winnipeg or Hamilton. The only reason no one wants an NHL franchise in Hamilton is because the Leafs and Sabres are worried about losing a chunk of their fanbase. But that's an instant rivalry with those teams right there if a team gets moved there Then let another team like Nashville or Florida die off and get the league down to about 28 teams.

Bettman is not wise enough to admit that his dream of expanding the NHL into every American market has been a complete and utter failure. Since the NHL started expanding heavily in 1993, only four expansion teams that I can think of have actually been successful in terms of building a fan base (That being Ottawa, Anaheim post-"mighty", San Jose, and Minnesota). Atlanta has been a failure. Nashville has been a failure. Columbus has struggled. And the Panthers? They are a complete joke. I lived in Boca for 4 years and every time I went to a Panthers game, snowbirds rooting for the visiting team always outnumbered Panther fans. No one cares down there, and it is hard for anything to top Football in that state.

NHL would be wise to move at least two teams back up to Canada. Put the Thrashers in Winnipeg or Quebec City and move Phoenix to either Winnipeg or Hamilton. The only reason no one wants an NHL franchise in Hamilton is because the Leafs and Sabres are worried about losing a chunk of their fanbase. But that's an instant rivalry with those teams right there if a team gets moved there Then let another team like Nashville or Florida die off and get the league down to about 28 teams.

And what is common with those teams?

They are smack dab in the middle of college football meccas. You have conference season, bowl season, recruiting season, spring football and Summer.

KansasCityScouts.png

Bring back the Scouts!

Let me help you:

Islanders to Kansas City & the Western Conference

Red Wings to the Eastern Conference. :lol:

I hope they wouldn't move the Red Wings to the Eastern Conference and lose the matchups with the Blackhawks and Blues.

It would make more sense to move Columbus or Nashville east and bring Kansas City to the Central Division.

Atlanta, Florida, Phoenix, & Nashville have been utter failires.

Put teams in Winnipeg, Hamiliton, Quebec City & Kansas City, call it a day.

Maybe "the peg" could work in today's NHL, dunno.

It's smaller and poorer than Edmonton and Calgary.

I think the fans there would go.

Somebody mentioned Phoenix being in the middle of a desert. Winnepig is in the middle of a different kind of desert.

:D

I'd like to see a team there again and in QC.

Archived