**** Official Hockey East 2009-2010 Season Thread ****

Gainzo

"Mass Attack?" C'mon man that is marketing at it's worst! Not to mention free tix to the game against New Brunswick.

Dare I say that Lowell is a Marketing machine compared to the Minutemen? lol

They've been using Mass Attack for a few years... ugh.

to make things worse, new brunswick's preview for the game had our nickname as the "attack" instead of the minutemen....

and the exhibition game is in our practice rink... located down the hall from our home ice... on campus.... :D how's your on campus practice rink???

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They've been using Mass Attack for a few years... ugh.

to make things worse, new brunswick's preview for the game had our nickname as the "attack" instead of the minutemen....

and the exhibition game is in our practice rink... located down the hall from our home ice... on campus.... :D how's your on campus practice rink???

Isn't your practice rink outside lol. Tsongas will be owned by the University in a few months. Do you guys have a Brewery next to your basketball, I mean hockey, arena?

Isn't your practice rink outside lol. Tsongas will be owned by the University in a few months. Do you guys have a Brewery next to your basketball, I mean hockey, arena?

Is that a bad thing?

nope... its right next to the squash courts... not next to a UPS facility where most of your players will be working within a year...

And its a little further down the road, but you dont have to worry about being mugged or shot or fall into a canal on your way to the bar.

http://fearthetriangle.wordpress.com/2009/10/01/umass-season-preview-media-day-news-other-stuff/

Well the 2008-2009 season saw another UMass hockey campaign plagued with inconsistency. The season started well with a split at the Icebreaker Tournament that included an upset over then #5 North Dakota. The team was 4-1-1 when they entered Lawler Arena and promptly dropped a 3-1 decision to Merrimack starting the yo-yo of results. In the next game the Minutemen played their finest game of the season absolutely dominating Boston University for the second ever win over a #1 ranked team in program history. Of course that monumental win was followed up the next night by getting shutout by Lowell. And that

http://www.nesn.com/2009/10/2010-hockey-east-friday-night-schedule.html

Below is the schedule for NESN's "Hockey East Friday Night," which begins on Jan. 8 with the Boston University-Boston College game at Fenway Park.

DAY/DATE OPPONENTS TV GAME TIME

Friday, Jan. 8 Boston University at Boston College 7:30 p.m.*

Saturday, Jan. 9 UMass-Lowell at Northeastern 7:30 p.m.*

Friday, Jan. 15 Boston University at Providence 7:30 p.m.*

Friday, Jan. 22 Boston University at Boston College 7:30 p.m.*

Friday, Feb. 5 Boston College at Massachusetts 7:30 p.m.*

Friday, Feb. 12 Maine at Boston University 7:30 p.m.*

Friday, Feb. 19 Vermont at University of New Hampshire 7:30 p.m.*

Saturday, Feb. 20 Merrimack at Massachusetts 7:30 p.m.*

Friday, Feb. 26 Boston University at Vermont 7:30 p.m.*

Friday, Mar. 5 Boston College at University of New Hampshire 7:30 p.m.*

Friday, Mar. 12 2009 Men's Hockey East Quarterfinals 7:30 p.m.*

Friday, Mar. 19 2009 Hockey East Semifinals

Game 1 5:00 p.m.

Game 2 8:00 p.m.*

Saturday, Mar. 20 2009 Men's Hockey East Championship 7:00 p.m.*

*GAMES WITH ASTERISKS PRECEDED BY

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2009/10/01_newseason.php

Instant impacts

Chris Kreider, F, Boston College – The Eagles graduated four of their top eight scorers from a year ago, leaving plenty of room for Kreider on their scoring lines. In the last three years, BC has lost Brian Boyle, Nathan Gerbe, Benn Ferriero and Brock Bradford; replacing Gerbe proved difficult for coach Jerry York last season, but the addition of the skillful, rangy forward may help curb the effects of recent departures.

Max NiCastro, D, Boston University – The departures of Matt Gilroy and Brian Strait from the Terriers defensive corps is a legitimate reason for some gripes. Still, the development of young defenseman David Warsofsky and the addition of NiCastro just may ease the pain caused by the loss of the prolific pair. NiCastro is shutdown defenseman in the making who could develop a strong offensive game under the tutelage of BU coach Jack Paker.

Big losses

Nick Petrecki, D, Boston College – BC coach Jerry York knew three of his top six defensemen would leave the Heights following the 2008-09 season due to graduation. As far as Petrecki is concerned, his departure was only a matter of time.

Drafted 22nd overall by San Jose prior to his freshman season, he opted to sign with the Sharks after his second year at BC. Widely considered among the best defensive defensemen in Hockey East, there was really nothing left to prove in college for Petrecki.

York welcomes four freshman defensemen to Chestnut Hill this season to go along with senior Carl Sneep and sophomores Tommy Cross, Edwin Shea and Malcolm Lyles. Both Cross and Shea saw extended time for the Eagles last season, while Lyles played in five games.

Viktor Stalberg, F, Vermont – Stalberg led the Catamounts to the Frozen Four last season while becoming one of the best goal scorers in the country. Following his third season in Burlington, he opted to sign with the Toronto Maple Leafs, who selected him in the sixth round of the 2006 draft. His departure was seemingly the right move, since he made the Maple Leafs' opening night roster.

The big-bodied winger provided UVM coach Kevin Sneddon with a presence in front of the net and a dynamic playmaking ability. The Catamounts are also without second-leading scorer Peter Lenes.

In the second half of 2008-09, goaltender Rob Madore became one of the most consistent net minders in Hockey East. In his sophomore season, Madore should only improve; the fact that UVM returns its top six defensemen from last season will allow the Catamount forwards time as they find their offensive touch this season.

Brad Thiessen, G, Northeastern – It was a breakout season for Northeastern in 2008-09, and Thiessen carried the Huskies the whole way. NU failed to capture any championships, losing to BU in the Beanpot final, Mass.-Lowell in the Hockey East Semifinals and Cornell in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament.

Thiessen played every minute for the Huskies last season, finishing his final year at Matthews Arena with a 2.12 goals-against average, a .931 save percentage and 25 victories. There are three goaltenders on the roster entering the 2009-10 season with only junior Mike Binnington carrying any collegiate experience.

Freshman Mike Rawlings comes to coach Greg Cronin’s program after a successful four-year stint in the British Columbia Hockey League. Fellow rookie Bryan Mountain also played in the BCHL, winning a championship and playing 10 games with the Penticton Vees in 2007-08.

James vanRiemsdyk, F, New Hampshire – The way his career in Durham ended, a heartbreaking last-minute loss to eventual national champion BU in the Manchester Regional final, can hardly deem vanRiemsdyk’s two seasons with the Wildcats a failure. Late in the year, that not only was the statistical leader for coach Dick Umile’s team, he had become one of the most present team figures off the ice. VanRiemsdyk signed with the Philadelphia Flyers, who drafted him second overall in 2007, on April 1, and promptly made the roster, validating his decision to leave and his decision to stay after his freshman year when the Flyers were pressuring him to skip out.

The Wildcats return three of their top four scorers from a season ago along with goaltender Brian Foster who struggled with consistency in his first year as the No. 1. UNH will also be without winger Danny Dries, whose dismissal from the team days prior to its first NCAA tournament game against North Dakota was made permanent in mid-April.

To offset the loss, freshmen John Henrion and Greg Burke will look to contribute consistently.

Colin Wilson, F, Boston University – There wasn’t much of a reason for Wilson to return to BU following his sophomore season. He finished among the national leaders in scoring and led the BU offense to seven different championships along the way.

Junior Nick Bonino will take over Wilson’s spot as the No. 1 center. He finished 2008-09 with 18 goals and 32 assists, including the game-tying goal with 17.4 seconds remaining in regulation of the national championship game.

Keep an eye on him

Justin Braun, D, Massachusetts – Even with James Marcou’s breakout season, there was little doubt who the MVP was for the Minutemen in 2008-09. Braun averaged nearly 30 minutes of ice time for UMass coach Toot Cahoon and featured on the top defensive pairing and first power-play unit on his way to being named a second-team all-American.

Late in the season, Cahoon slapped an “A” on Braun’s jersey, and he will serve as a co-Captain for the Minutemen along with senior center Brett Watson this year. The perennially almost-good Minutemen hope they can play deep into the Hockey East Tournament for the first time since 2006-07. If they plan to do so, Braun will need to be even better than his was last year.

Kory Falite, F, Mass.-Lowell – If the River Hawks plan to prove that their run to the Hockey East Championship game wasn’t an anomaly, Falite will need to continue to be one of the best goal scorers in the East.

He’s combined for 32 goals in the last two seasons, and tied with Scott Campbell at 14 atop the UML stat sheet last year. The blue liners are receiving most of the attention from the media, but the boys up front have to produce consistent offense if that Preseason Top 10 ranking is going to mean anything come March.

Gustav Nyquist, F, Maine – The Black Bears were the only team to defeat Boston University in the second of the half the season last year, and upstart Swedish center was their best player. In his first season in Orono, he led the team with 13 goals and 19 assists.

Coach Tim Whitehead returns his top two scorers from the youngest team in Hockey East. The Black Bears finished eighth in the Hockey East standings last season and, led by Nyquist, are primed to return to national prominence after a two-year hiatus.

http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/sports/stories/6929280.html

ORONO -- Scott Darling gave up fast food. Brian Flynn added 10 pounds of muscle mass. Jeff Dimmen ran at altitude in his home state of Colorado, once a week scaling the Manitou Incline, a mountain trail with a gain of 2,000 feet and a 55-degree grade in steepness. And out of seven days in the week, Tanner House trained for six.

Those were only a few of the ways the University of Maine men's ice hockey team prepared during the summer for the 2009-2010 season.

"The offseason is huge, because that's where guys make the most gains," said House, a junior forward and co-captain. "It's really tough to do that during the season, but the offseason's huge, especially for strength and speed."

Thursday at Alfond Arena, the Black Bears convened for the team's annual media day and the start of practices, and they discussed their offseason, the goals they've set for this season and the struggles they endured during last season.

"We had a great start but hit a wall in the middle," said Darling, a sophomore goalie. "But this year, from the Blue-and-White game (on Sunday in Orono) to wherever we end up, we have to move on and not give anything up. We want to finish in the top four in Hockey East and go to the playoffs, and we have the team to do it."

The Black Bears open the season Oct. 9 with a two-game series at Union College in Schenectady, N.Y. Maine returns 18 players from last season, including their top three scorers -- linemates Gustav Nyquist (13 goals, 19 assists), Flynn (12-13) and House (10-14) -- and nine sophomores.

But they return in search of their first winning record since 2007, when the Black Bears reached the Frozen Four.

The Black Bears finished eighth in Hockey East with a record of 7-17-3 in the conference and 13-22-4 overall.

"We had a great start but had a second half where things didn't go our way," Dimmen said. "And we struggled. But we want to start out well right away and just improve as a team every day and set ourselves up for the Hockey East playoffs."

After starting last season 10-6-2, the Black Bears won only two regular-season games after the New Year and earned the eighth and final playoff berth in Hockey East.

"It's easy to be together as a group when you have a good start like that," House said. "But we started to struggle and we had to battle through a lot of adversity."

Maine pushed Boston University, the eventual national champion, to three games in the conference quarterfinals but lost 6-2 in the decisive game.

"That series gave us some confidence, to be able to play with anybody," junior forward Robby Dee said. "I think, most importantly, we know we can do it but now we have to prove we can do it. We have to understand that we do have talent, that we are a good team and that we can play with anybody."

That series became a building block for the Black Bears and since that last buzzer in Boston -- and throughout the offseason -- House has outlined his expectations.

"I want us to jell right away as a team," House said. "I want to make sure we're working hard all the time, that we're a real positive, high-energy group, and make sure we're always having fun but working hard."

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2009/10/umass_falls_into_early_hole_as.html

By Dick Baker

October 03, 2009, 9:22PM

AMHERST – Coach Toot Cahoon never likes to lose, but the take away from last night’s exhibition game was that his team got better as the night went along.

The University of Massachusetts dug a three-goal hole in the first period before picking up its pace, but the comeback attempt fell short in a 3-2 loss to the defending national Candian champion University of New Brunswick before a packed Mullins Center practice rink.

“We definitely got better as the game went along, but we can’t spot teams three goals,” Cahoon said. “And we learned a lot about ourselves at this point in the year as to what’s going to get in the way of having successful night. “We ran into a pretty good team; they’re real good defensively, and the goaltender is excellent.”

New Brunswick jumped to its 3-0 lead in the first period. Only 17 seconds after killing off an early penalty, New Brunswick registered its first score. First-line left wing John Scott Dixon took a pass from the left corner while driving for the net and beat UMass goaltender Paul Dainton in close at 3:17.

Dickson converted a power-play opportunity at 14:46 to make it 2-0, and the visitors added another by Taylor Procsyshen at 17:24. The Minutemen defense broke down on this one, with everyone trying to swipe at a loose puck. Procsyshen came up with it to extend the lead to 3-0.

UMass managed only three shots in the first period while New Brunswick had nine.

Although the score remained the same, the second period was much better for UMass. The Minutemen outshot New Brunswick 16-7, although they did have the only three power-play opportunities of the period.

UMass junior winger Shawn Saunders intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and raced in for a breakaway but was stopped by Reds goaltender Travis Fullerton at 8:15. UMass junior defenseman Kevin Kessler made an excellent defensive play in that period. New Brunswick right wing Luke Lynes had gotten past the other Minuteman defender trying to keep the puck hemmed in the Reds zone. It looked like a potential odd-man break until Kessler stood him up before a play could be made.

Kessler also assisted on the first UMass goal, scored by Casey Wellman at 4:28 of the third period.

“I called for a reverse from (Justin) Braun, he gave it to me, I kept my head up, and gave it to Wellman,” Kessler said. “I was actually getting off the ice, so I didn’t see the shot. But from what I heard, it was one of the greatest shots, an NHL goal.” Kessler didnt get much ice time the past two years as his skating had to catch up with his physical play.

“I’ve worked real hard the last three years, and I’ve definitely made a lot of big improvements, and I feel like this year is the year for me,” he said. “My feet are 10 times better than they were my freshman year.”

With 2:50 left and down 3-1, UMass called a timeout to plan a play and pull Dainton for the extra attacker. New Brunswick had just taken a penalty, and the idea was to have a two-man advantage. But Wellman was called for interference to cut down the advantage. UMass pulled Dainton anyway, and T.J. Syner, of Springfield, scored with 1:14 left. With Dainton still out, the Minutemen had one more flurry with Braun’s hard shot blocked in front with 15 seconds left.

UMass opens the regular season Thursday night at 7 at home against Rensselaer.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/hopkinton/sports/x1231801111/On-Hockey-Mauldins-hockey-journey-continues

Greg Mauldin's hockey journey has covered thousands of miles, beginning here in MetroWest and extending out to nearly every state in the union and three countries.

Now, the Holliston native is in Bridgeport, Conn., where he has signed on with the Sound Tigers, the American Hockey League affiliate of the New York Islanders. It's just the latest stop in a career that has taken Mauldin out to Amherst for three years of college play at UMass, to Columbus for a six-game NHL cup of coffee with the Blue Jackets - who drafted him 199th overall in the 2002 Entry Draft - to Syracuse for a two-plus-year stint with Columbus' AHL affiliate, to Houston for a late-season stint with the AHL's Aeros, and off to Sweden for a 2006-07 season split between Huddinge and Oskarshamn of Sweden's second-tier Division 1.

He landed in Bridgeport after two solid seasons with Ottawa's AHL affiliate in Binghamton, N.Y. The Islanders picked him up shortly after the free agent period began on July 1, and brought him in for almost the entirety of their training camp and preseason schedule. He played four preseason games with the Isles, picking up an assist in a loss to New Jersey on Sept. 23, but the next day found himself bound for Bridgeport.

Now, as he's had to do many times in a pro career that is still just five years old, Mauldin is adjusting, learning, and preparing to play with a new team, in a new system, with a new opportunity.

"Last year, the thing I really wanted to do was be consistent, and I was fortunate to stay healthy," said Mauldin, who had 51 points (24 goals) in 81 games for a Binghamton team that just missed the playoffs. "It's easier to be consistent when you're in the lineup every night, not trying to heal an injury. So I'm just working on everything, I realize in the NHL there's only a handful of guys that can be a top-line scoring guy. I think I've realized I need to be a third-fourth-line guy, an energy guy."

That is indeed a shift for a player who was on or around the top line at UMass, using a strong 5-foot-10, 181-pound frame to augment a scorer's touch and above-average speed. Mauldin was on the 2003-04 Minuteman team that took the UMass program to previously unseen heights, coming an overtime goal short of its first-ever Hockey East championship. At UMass, Mauldin was a star performer under a bright college spotlight. Now, he's a veteran forward who, like every minor leaguer, has to scrap every night to earn more ice time, more attention, more of a chance to get the big phone call about a move back to the NHL.

He joined an Islander organization that has been marked by turmoil in recent years, from the controversial 15-year contract doled out to goaltender Rick DiPietro, to problems with its ancient and maligned Nassau Coliseum. The on-ice product hasn't been much better. The Isles were the NHL's worst club last year, with a 26-47-9 record that had them five points behind the second-worst team, Tampa Bay, and 34 points behind the Rangers, the next-worst team in the Atlantic Division.

The silver lining is that it might mean more opportunities for Mauldin, and that, he said, was the biggest difference between his NHL training camp experiences in Columbus and on Long Island.

"I actually played more than one game, got to play in four games with them, no less than 15 minutes in each of the four games," he said. "We went up to Saskatoon for preseason, played a lot of Western Conference teams, then came back."

Mauldin also had to adjust to a slightly different role with the Islanders. Almost exclusively a winger since his UMass days, he slotted in at center for much of the preseason, often on a line with 15-year veteran Richard Park.

"Yeah, it was mostly third line, mostly center," Mauldin said. "I played a little center last year just because of injuries and call-ups. Center's fun, you get to do a lot more skating, you're always in the play it seems like, not standing around, and you're taking faceoffs."

Mauldin starts the year in the familiar setting of the minor leagues, though with a new team and in an entirely new situation. He was sent down on Sept. 24, which came as a small surprise, he said, since he had just played his best preseason game the night before, picking up an assist against New Jersey in a 4-2 loss. But hockey's a numbers game, and he's gotten used to that.

"Just with the number of guys they had on one-way NHL contracts, you try not to look too much into it, how much guys are playing," he said. "We're lucky to be in a sport where you can be sent down and come back up just as fast."

Bridgeport pays a visit to the Bruins' affiliate in Providence on Nov. 1, and two days prior, Mauldin will play a little closer to home when the Sound Tigers visit the Worcester Sharks.

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/hockey/articles/2009/10/04/former_players_teammates_to_celebrate_life_of_hockey_coach_jack_canniff/

1254537522_4472.jpg

Family, friends, former players, and teammates of Jack Canniff will remember the former Gloucester High and University of Massachusetts at Amherst hockey coach today at 2 p.m. with a celebration of his life at the Gloucester Elks-Bass Rocks. Canniff died of cancer Aug. 29 at Kaplan House in Danvers at age 77. He had homes in Rockport and Granby.

Among the speakers will be Ben Smith, who played for Canniff at Gloucester from 1960 to

http://thebostonhockeyblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/around-hockey-east.html

First, we want to thank all you guys who are stopping by the BHB. We've heard a lot of good things and are encouraged by the number of people stopping by, and it makes us feel good to know you appreciate what we're putting together. Our coverage is only going to continue to get stronger as the year goes on, and we encourage you to keep checking us out and offering suggestions on things you'd like to see on here.

Now to the good stuff. In addition to the BU-SFX game at Agganis Arena, a number of other teams kicked off their season with exhibition games against squads from Canada's Atlantic University Sports conference:

New Brunswick 3, UMass-Amherst 2 - The Varsity Reds tallied three first period goals, including two off the stick of John Scott Dickson. UMass fought back with two third period goals, but couldn't equalize the lead taken by the defending AUS first-place finishers.

UNH 8, Acadia 1 - Five Wildcats picked up goals, including two by Peter LeBlanc, while 12 Wildcats made their way onto the scoresheet.

Northeastern 7, St. Thomas 5 - The graduation of Brad Thiessen leaves some big goalie pads to fill for the Huskies, and five goals on 16 shots from the combination of Mike Binnington and Chris Rawlings doesn't give the NU faithful much to feel confident about after Saturday night's game. Still, the Huskies came away with the victory on the strength of two third period goals. The win was well deserved as NU tallied 46 shots on goal, including 21 in the first and 17 in the third periods.

Sunday sees three more games with HE teams involved, as Lowell plays host to Acadia, Vermont looks to hold off New Brunswick, and St. Francis Xavier travels a ways up the B Line to take on the Eagles of Boston College.

http://patpatriot51.blogspot.com/2009/10/hockey-east-media-day.html

Although he may have not said it word for word Hockey East commissioner Joe Bertagna made the announcement that all eyes were on UMass Lowell this upcoming season.

The 2009 Hockey east media day was held at the Legends Restaurant in the TD Garden Friday. This gives anybody invited a chance to gather media guides, lunch and information about each team in the conference this upcoming season. It was a very casual situation as the coached and players of all teams were happy to talk to reporters, and describe their team

http://gazettenet.com/2009/10/08/coach-urges-grittier039-play-team

AMHERST - Had Saturday's exhibition 3-2 loss to New Brunswick been a regular-season game, University of Massachusetts coach Don "Toot" Cahoon probably would have been more frustrated with both the result and his team's performance.

Instead, he's hoping the Minutemen used the game as a learning experience going into tonight's season opener against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute at 7 at the Mullins Center.

"You always want to play better and get the result," Cahoon said. "But we truly walked away from it with the knowledge of what immediately needs to be addressed and what might be the challenges for getting this team to play at the highest level."

Cahoon said he hopes his team's highest level is several notches above last year's overall 16-20-3 record and 10-14-3 Hockey East.

"We need to be grittier," he said. "We think of ourselves as pretty skilled and a really good skating team, but there's a time when you really have to roll it up, get dirty and make plays.

"I think we got away from that a little bit," Cahoon continued. "We have to be able to address that. We need to become a team that competes in all situations."

The Minutemen return their top two scorers from last season - junior James Marcou and Casey Wellman - and captain Brett Watson as well as eight other players who saw action in at least 25 games.

Marcou, who had 15 goals and 32 assists, is the leading returning scorer in Hockey East.

Named an assistant captain this season, his personal goals are simple.

"I just want to go out, make plays, put the puck in the net and lead by example," Marcou said.

"We've addressed all our issues. We've learned a lot from the last two years," he said. "We're going to focus on being consistent and try to make that next step in Hockey East."

While Marcou and Wellman will be looked on to lead the offense, the Minutemen will need increased contributions from several returning players. They include sophomore T.J. Syner, who will likely start the year on a line with Marcou and Wellman, juniors Mike Lecomte and Chase Langeraap, and senior Will Ortiz, whose production has dropped off each of the last three years.

Freshmen Rocco Carzo and Eddie Olczyk will get a chance to make an impact right away.

Senior defensemen Martin Nolet and Justin Braun return to anchor the defense, while sophomore Matt Irwin will try to build off his promising freshman year.

Doug Kublin and Michael Marcou, who were in and out of the lineup last year, will likely have a chance to play regularly, as will freshman Mike Donnellan, who played well in preseason.

Junior goalie Paul Dainton figures to be the Minutemen's No. 1 netminder for the third straight season.

UMass dominated the Engineers last year, winning 6-0 in Troy, N.Y. The loss was one of four straight by RPI to open the 2008-09 season which it finished with a 10-27-2 record.

The Engineers bring back their top four scorers, led by junior Chase Polacek, who had 11 goals and 21 assists last year.

FIRST FOR THE SECOND STRAIGHT SEASON - Tonight's start means the Minutemen will be playing in the first college hockey game of the season for the second straight year.

In 2008, the Minutemen opened against Michigan State in the IceBreaker Tournament in a game that started at 4:30 p.m. as part of a doubleheader, which made it the first of the season.

UMass is one of two games tonight. While the Minutemen are set to face off at 7 p.m., Quinnipiac at Ohio State is slated to begin at 7:05.

REPLAY - All Hockey East arenas are equipped for the use of replay this season. Replay will be used only to determine whether a goal should count.

It is up to the referee on the ice to call for a replay. In that case, a technician - at UMass in the press box - will send images to the referee who will review different angles on a monitor in the penalty box and make the decision.

Cahoon said he likes the addition.

"You want to get the goal right," Cahoon said. "That's the most important thing."

Cahoon also said that officials this season will emphasize eliminating face-washing, or a player putting his hands on the face of an opponent.

HENNESSEY DEBUT - The game marks the UMass debut of broadcaster John Hennessy on WRNX 100.9-FM, owned by Clear Channel Communications.

The former voice of the New Jersey Devils replaces Donnie Moorhouse, who now works for Entercom, a Clear Channel competitor.

Brock Hines, who started as the color commentator during the 1993-94 season when the Minuteman program was reinstated, returns for his 17th season.

Matt Vautour can be reached at mvautour@gazettenet.com. Follow UMass coverage on Twitter at twitter.com/GazetteUMass. Get UMass coverage delivered in your Facebook news feed at http://www.facebook.com/GazetteUMassCoverage.

http://massdailycollegian.com/2009/10/08/minutemen-set-to-take-on-rpi-in-hockey-season-opener/

When October comes, the Massachusetts hockey team is back.

The Minutemen will begin their 2009 campaign, as well as kick off the college hockey season, on Thursday night when they open against Rensselaer at the Mullins Center.

UMass is eager to begin the new season after having ending last year with a heartbreaking 3-2 overtime loss at the hands of Northeastern.

UMASS WINS!!!!!!!!!!

UMass 5

Rensselaer 2

Lowell crapped the bed against Nebraska-Omaha on Saturday night. They blew a 2-0 lead and lost 4-3.

My boy Schaus didn't make the trip as he was suspended (reason unknown). Hope he is back for the Colgate/Northeastern games.

Will you be heading out to Amherst this weekend for the BU game?

Lowell crapped the bed against Nebraska-Omaha on Saturday night. They blew a 2-0 lead and lost 4-3.

My boy Schaus didn't make the trip as he was suspended (reason unknown). Hope he is back for the Colgate/Northeastern games.

Will you be heading out to Amherst this weekend for the BU game?

Depends on how work goes fri... will be working in Londonderry so it might be tough.

Depends on how work goes fri... will be working in Londonderry so it might be tough.

Londonderry to Amherst on a Friday night? That will take you 2 hours at least.

You need to brush up on the Colgate roster as I expect nothing but great heckling from you on the 23rd. I want everyone in my section to know that it might get a little crazy this season.

Especially when BU & BC come to Lowell.

Londonderry to Amherst on a Friday night? That will take you 2 hours at least.

You need to brush up on the Colgate roster as I expect nothing but great heckling from you on the 23rd. I want everyone in my section to know that it might get a little crazy this season.

Especially when BU & BC come to Lowell.

Im hoping to be done by 3, then head home to Waltham to clean up then pick up karen.... its going to be a long night but its worth it.

And as long as work isnt terrible next week I'll be ready to represent!

Im hoping to be done by 3, then head home to Waltham to clean up then pick up karen.... its going to be a long night but its worth it.

And as long as work isnt terrible next week I'll be ready to represent!

I heard it was homecoming for you Amherst mouth breathers. As much as I want UMass to lay an egg I hate Parker and BU much, much more. ;)

Archived