could Wang be a useful bullpen pitcher?

Blackout

I say give Hughes one more start. If he bombs you bring in Wang to get a few innings work, send Hughes to the minors and Wang is back in the rotation.

If Hughes pitches well, move Joba back to the 'pen. This team needs a guy who can slam the door early and get back to what the Yeankees were doing when they were winning rings which was shortening the game to seven innings. When it was Mo and Wetteland they won rings. When it was Nelson/Stanton and Mo they won rings.

Since then, they have not had that guy they can count on to nail things down to get to Mo. I'm tired of seeing this team with it's enormous payroll not getting it done. Next season Joba takes Andy's spot in the rotation and the Yankees press on.

As of now, a starting five of:

CC

Burnett

Wang

Pettitte

Hughes (if he can even keep them in games as a #5 I'll take it)

Joba in the 7th/8th

Mo in the 9th

I say this team can win it all

I say give Hughes one more start. If he bombs you bring in Wang to get a few innings work, send Hughes to the minors and Wang is back in the rotation.

If Hughes pitches well, move Joba back to the 'pen. This team needs a guy who can slam the door early and get back to what the Yeankees were doing when they were winning rings which was shortening the game to seven innings. When it was Mo and Wetteland they won rings. When it was Nelson/Stanton and Mo they won rings.

Since then, they have not had that guy they can count on to nail things down to get to Mo. I'm tired of seeing this team with it's enormous payroll not getting it done. Next season Joba takes Andy's spot in the rotation and the Yankees press on.

As of now, a starting five of:

CC

Burnett

Wang

Pettitte

Hughes (if he can even keep them in games as a #5 I'll take it)

Joba in the 7th/8th

Mo in the 9th

I say this team can win it all

Pretty sure Wetteland only has one ring. If you want Joba to start next year then don't **** around with him now. He's yo-yo-ing enough already. Joba has the goods to be a potential front line starter. You don't **** with that as an injury replacement for Brian Bruney. Somebody will get hurt soon enough.

Pretty sure Wetteland only has one ring. If you want Joba to start next year then don't **** around with him now. He's yo-yo-ing enough already. Joba has the goods to be a potential front line starter. You don't **** with that as an injury replacement for Brian Bruney. Somebody will get hurt soon enough.

I want them to do whatever gives them the best chance to win a ring and going off of history, having a shut down 8th/9th inning combo does that. I'm in favor of championships.

In all honesty my first choice would be for the Yanks to go out and get somebody who can be that 8th inning guy but until that happens, go with what's proven to work and proven to win. I'd like another championship in the Bronx, it's been a while.

I want them to do whatever gives them the best chance to win a ring and going off of history, having a shut down 8th/9th inning combo does that. I'm in favor of championships.

In all honesty my first choice would be for the Yanks to go out and get somebody who can be that 8th inning guy but until that happens, go with what's proven to work and proven to win. I'd like another championship in the Bronx, it's been a while.

Yeah, I'd just prefer not to **** with Joba again. If they are going to start him I say start him and find somebody else. I don't think the help in the pen will be as important once Bruney comes back. He is coming back, isn't he?

Yeah, I'd just prefer not to **** with Joba again. If they are going to start him I say start him and find somebody else. I don't think the help in the pen will be as important once Bruney comes back. He is coming back, isn't he?

You can't sit around and wait for Bruney. The guy has never been able to stay healthy and despite a clean bill of health and nothing but negative test results, he has pain when he throws. Hard to fix that. Even then, he's been very good for the Yanks but far from a proven "slam the door" reliever.

I'd rather not screw around with Joba either but if you have six guys capable of starting, somebody has to go to the pen. How many more times can option Huges to the minors?

Problem with Joba this year has been his 1st inning of work.

How is that going to get better when in the pen, that's all he's going to pitch??

One has nothing to do with the other as starting and coming out of the bullpen are two completely different set-ups from a preparation standpoint. I have no doubt that Joba would be just fine coming in to be an 8th inning guy as he's shown when put in that position.

I hear all the arguments regarding Joba into the pen. Personally I am against this move. Joba has the ability to be a top of the rotation starter. He can be among the elite. I would rather 200 innings from him instead of 60-70.

That said, they still need to find someone for the 8th. I had my hopes on Robertson.Melancon. We shall see.

I hear all the arguments regarding Joba into the pen. Personally I am against this move. Joba has the ability to be a top of the rotation starter. He can be among the elite. I would rather 200 innings from him instead of 60-70.

That said, they still need to find someone for the 8th. I had my hopes on Robertson.Melancon. We shall see.

Robertson should be the 8th inning guy the way he's pitching right now (save those 10 pitches yesterday).

I hear this over and over and I don't see it..

since starting regularly Joba's velocity is down and he uses way to many pitches in too few innings. This year he is averaging 5 innings per start? over 21 starts for his career he is only giving you 5.2 innings...not exactly front line starter numbers.

If anything, Hughes has shown to be capable of being a top starter more than Joba has.

hughes biggest problems have been injuries and lack of consistent MLB starts.

I feel, from what we have seen that is Joba were given a full season of starts he would rarely go more than 6 innings...compare that with a true ace like CC and Joba is really a number three at best.

You can't call a pitcher who makes his bullpen cover 3-4 innings a game a top line starter. Meanwhile Hughes seems to have the endurance and ppitching acumen to regularly go 7-8 innings.

Even his last start was statistically poor but he pitched well, gave up some bloops and a bad play by Gardner.

So, if the choices are Wang in the bullpen Hughes and Joba start

Joba in the bullpen Hughes and Wang start

Hughes in the minors Joba Wang start...for this season I would go with Joba in the pen..

I also think, if you find someone who can become you close for the next 10 seasons ala Paplebon then you shouldn't force him into a role that may not really help the team.

If Joba shows he can use less pitches and go further in games effectively than I would say he should start...but for me, I haven't seen any improvement since the start of the season, if anything, he seems to have regressed.

I can see the merit of both sides of the argument, but in the end I want to give Joba all the chances he can get to become a starting pitcher. Keep in mind he's very young with not that much experience. I know we don't have a large window here with older players, but you know, not all young pitchers are going to be sensational off the bat.

You see what Zack Greinke is doing this year? He was raw his first two seasons and was shifted to the bullpen before retransitioning as a starter. He did well in the bullpen, but that doesn't mean you keep him there. Felix Hernandez, who has some of the best stuff in the majors, took a couple seasons to adjust. Roy Halladay same story. Rough early on. Had to change his mechanics and build back up to the majors. He managed to straighten out.

Joba has 21 career major league starts under his belt. I'd wait and see before I make a long-term judgement about his career.

I hear this over and over and I don't see it..

since starting regularly Joba's velocity is down and he uses way to many pitches in too few innings. This year he is averaging 5 innings per start? over 21 starts for his career he is only giving you 5.2 innings...not exactly front line starter numbers.

If anything, Hughes has shown to be capable of being a top starter more than Joba has.

hughes biggest problems have been injuries and lack of consistent MLB starts.

I feel, from what we have seen that is Joba were given a full season of starts he would rarely go more than 6 innings...compare that with a true ace like CC and Joba is really a number three at best.

You can't call a pitcher who makes his bullpen cover 3-4 innings a game a top line starter. Meanwhile Hughes seems to have the endurance and ppitching acumen to regularly go 7-8 innings.

Even his last start was statistically poor but he pitched well, gave up some bloops and a bad play by Gardner.

So, if the choices are Wang in the bullpen Hughes and Joba start

Joba in the bullpen Hughes and Wang start

Hughes in the minors Joba Wang start...for this season I would go with Joba in the pen..

I also think, if you find someone who can become you close for the next 10 seasons ala Paplebon then you shouldn't force him into a role that may not really help the team.

If Joba shows he can use less pitches and go further in games effectively than I would say he should start...but for me, I haven't seen any improvement since the start of the season, if anything, he seems to have regressed.

I also recall last season Joba getting into the 9th, beating Beckett and the Bosox 1-0. I recall him throwing 95+ in the 7th inning at Trenton before he was made a relief pitcher in 2007 (I was there for 1 of those games). I also saw him throwing 94-96 against Boston this season, with 12 Ks, after struggling in the 1st inning.

He has all the stuff and confidence to be a true ace. But he will never get there if he is in the pen.

I've always felt that Joba should be in bullpen and be an eighth inning guy. But the Yankees have made the commitment to let him start. I think they should give him that opportunity and see if he sinks or swims.

If he continues to be a five inning pitcher then I see no reason to keep him in the rotation after this season. He's a shutdown reliever. So far as a starter he's shown some flashes of potential top of the rotation stuff, but he's too inconsistent. He struck out 12 Red Sox but that was after he gave up 4 runs before he recorded an out. These might just be growing pains, so it's only fair to give him some time grow into the starter role and mindset.

I also recall last season Joba getting into the 9th, beating Beckett and the Bosox 1-0. I recall him throwing 95+ in the 7th inning at Trenton before he was made a relief pitcher in 2007 (I was there for 1 of those games). I also saw him throwing 94-96 against Boston this season, with 12 Ks, after struggling in the 1st inning.

He has all the stuff and confidence to be a true ace. But he will never get there if he is in the pen.

right, but what was that? One game? It doesn't change the overall numbers..he barely pitches 6 innings.

I am all for giving Joba as many opportunities to start and I hope he is an ace type guy, but Yankee fans already have anointed Joba as an ace when he has yet to prove it.

For some reason he is beyond reproach when it comes to criticism amongst Yankee fans, and Hughes is an afterthought.

Shuttle Hughes back and forth but Joba is a front line starter for 5 innings a game....

of course I am writing this as he dominates the Indians....and no..I won't say exactly how he is dominating them!!!

right, but what was that? One game? It doesn't change the overall numbers..he barely pitches 6 innings.

I am all for giving Joba as many opportunities to start and I hope he is an ace type guy, but Yankee fans already have anointed Joba as an ace when he has yet to prove it.

For some reason he is beyond reproach when it comes to criticism amongst Yankee fans, and Hughes is an afterthought.

Shuttle Hughes back and forth but Joba is a front line starter for 5 innings a game....

of course I am writing this as he dominates the Indians....and no..I won't say exactly how he is dominating them!!!

Well, last night was another game. And he was throwing 97-98 in the 8th.

Joba belongs in the rotation. And since Francesca wants him as an 8th inning guy, I am doubly sure he belongs in the rotation.

Well, last night was another game. And he was throwing 97-98 in the 8th.

Joba belongs in the rotation. And since Francesca wants him as an 8th inning guy, I am doubly sure he belongs in the rotation.

again, he needs to be consistent..this is the first game this year he has pitched into the eighth inning. If he shows he can do this regularly then I am all for him staying in the rotation...but if he regresses back to the 92-93 five inning pitcher, then what is the point?

Joba is fine, as last night helped prove. He's 23 years old and as he develops he will learn to go farther in games. He can NEVER have that impact that he did last night as an 8th inning guy, and that's why he'll always be a starter, no matter how much Mike Francessa whines.

And I'm not sure how people are saying he hasn't been dominant as a starter. He's thrown 5 2/3 roughly per start since becoming a starter, which will improve over time. He had a 2.70 ERA last year as a starter and a 3.70 ERA this year two months into the season. He's averaging 10 K/9 already. He's well on his way to becoming a front-line starter.

again, he needs to be consistent..this is the first game this year he has pitched into the eighth inning. If he shows he can do this regularly then I am all for him staying in the rotation...but if he regresses back to the 92-93 five inning pitcher, then what is the point?

The point is that you can only work with the guy so he should pitch like he is capable of. And he is more capable of games like last night, more often than not, based on his "stuff".

There was 1 major difference between last night and most of his other starts. He threw strike 1 most of the time, and when he had 2 strikes, he stopped trying to hit corners, and went right after them. If he could not get them to swing and miss on stuff dropping out of the zone, he did not care. He wanted outs, not Ks. The result was only a few Ks for the game, but much more efficient on the pitch count.

Joba clearly deserves to be a starter. Last night was a clear example of why and I expect he will continue to pitch like that now that he is healthy. He would be great as a reliever too, but he is just too good to come out of the bullpen.

I would much rather see Hughes back in the bullpen once Wang is ready to start again. Hughes hasn't been able to prove himself consistently at all and it is worth seeing how effective he can be as a long reliever.

Joba clearly deserves to be a starter. Last night was a clear example of why and I expect he will continue to pitch like that now that he is healthy. He would be great as a reliever too, but he is just too good to come out of the bullpen.

I would much rather see Hughes back in the bullpen once Wang is ready to start again. Hughes hasn't been able to prove himself consistently at all and it is worth seeing how effective he can be as a long reliever.

Hughes as a reliever would be a huge mistake. If they are moving Wang to the rotation then move Hughes back to triple A, tell him he is insurance this year for any starter who goes down, and next year when Andy leaves Hughes takes his spot.

Then you have CC, Joba, AJ, Hughes, and Wang

The point is that you can only work with the guy so he should pitch like he is capable of. And he is more capable of games like last night, more often than not, based on his "stuff".

There was 1 major difference between last night and most of his other starts. He threw strike 1 most of the time, and when he had 2 strikes, he stopped trying to hit corners, and went right after them. If he could not get them to swing and miss on stuff dropping out of the zone, he did not care. He wanted outs, not Ks. The result was only a few Ks for the game, but much more efficient on the pitch count.

I don't understand your first sentence.

I think your post is contradictory, first you say he is probably capable of games like last night because of his stuff but then go out of your way to show how he is learning how to not try and overpower people and pitch smarter?

Which is it? Is his stuff overpowering them or is he learning to pitch and not rely on Ks?

Again, I have no problem with Joba in the rotation, I have a problem with people already claiming he is a number 1 quality type starter when he hasn't proven to be that yet...he has only pitched into the 8th inning once.

Joba made his name by dominating in the 8th inning as a reliever. If he never came up as a reliever I am sure most fans would not be claiming he is a top of the rotation type starter with his high whip and low innings per start...they wouldn't have bought his jersey...but because of that bullpen work, he is now the subject of much debate.

Archived