Nats take Pitcher Stephen Strasburg w/ the 1st Overall Pick

PS17

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2009/news/story?id=4246330

Nats take RHP Strasburg at No. 1

Comment Email Print Share

Associated Press

SECAUCUS, N.J. -- The Washington Nationals selected pitcher Stephen Strasburg with the first pick in baseball's amateur draft Tuesday night.

Considered one of the most talented prospects in the event's 45-year history, Strasburg went 13-1 with a 1.32 ERA this season for San Diego State, leading the Aztecs to their first postseason berth since 1991.

Featuring a fastball that has been clocked at 102 mph, Strasburg leads Division I pitchers with 195 strikeouts in 109 innings. He was the only amateur on the U.S. Olympic baseball team that won a bronze medal in Beijing last summer.

"We are thrilled to select someone with the special talents that Stephen possesses," Nationals acting general manager Mike Rizzo said in a statement. "Those talents have long been on our radar, and Stephen's domination at San Diego State and vast experiences gained with Team USA last summer have done nothing to change our thoughts about his abilities."

Signing the right-hander could be a challenge for the Nationals, however, because agent Scott Boras is sure to seek a record contract.

With the second pick, the Seattle Mariners chose North Carolina slugger Dustin Ackley, who has batted at least .400 for three consecutive seasons.

Regarded as the best hitter available, Ackley played mostly first base for the Tar Heels, but his impressive speed makes him a candidate to switch to center field as a pro.

It was Seattle's highest pick since 1993, when the Mariners took Alex Rodriguez first overall.

The San Diego Padres picked Georgia high school outfielder Donavan Tate at No. 3.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

He's Carlos Beltran's newphew or cousin or something. They say he's fast and wiry-strong, much like his relation. If he's anything like Beltran, I'll take it.

The MLB Network guys were saying that he's going to be your future lead-off hitter.

I really don't understand Boras' logic on this one. He's trying to make something much, much bigger than what it should be; even more than what he usually does. The fact that he wants $40 million more than any other draft pick got is insane. And the fact that he's comparing him to Matsuzaka is even more insane; Matsuzaka was far and away the most dominant pitcher in Japan while he was only 25. College does not equal Japan.

Come late July or August, I expect Strasburg and Boras to come to their senses. I doubt he wants to go back to the draft again, where the Nats will probably be waiting...again. Not even close to $50 mill.

If Washington was willing to go 10 year 184 mil to get Teixeira then they'll sign Stratsburg. Not at the price Boras wants, but definately something along the lines of 20-30 mil. The precedent has already been set with Brackman's 7 million deal, now this dude will just get a little more.

Bora's will wait them out and play him in a independent league- that is his MO.

the problem for boras is that the nats will have the #1 pick next year as well. if i was the nats i would offer somewhere in the $15-18M range and let strasburg know this is the final offer. if he doesn't take the money i would let boras know the nats will take him again next year but only offer 1/2 the money.

Archived