Clowney working with the first team... (posted 8/26/09)

hoping4ASuperBowl

David Clowney practiced with the Jets' first-team offense Wednesday and appears to have passed Chansi Stuckey on the depth chart.

"Mr. August" has earned it by leading the Jets in preseason receiving. Only Troy Williamson, Chris Henry, Bills TE Jon Stupar, and Chad Ochocinco have more yards. The deep threat has struggled with drops throughout his three-year career, so Clowney won't have job security. The Jets may also acquire another wideout before Week 1. But for now, Clowney is worth consideration at the end of non-PPR drafts. Stuckey will stay active in the slot.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/08/kellen_clemens_disappointed_at.html

David Clowney practiced with the Jets' first-team offense Wednesday and appears to have passed Chansi Stuckey on the depth chart.

"Mr. August" has earned it by leading the Jets in preseason receiving. Only Troy Williamson, Chris Henry, Bills TE Jon Stupar, and Chad Ochocinco have more yards. The deep threat has struggled with drops throughout his three-year career, so Clowney won't have job security. The Jets may also acquire another wideout before Week 1. But for now, Clowney is worth consideration at the end of non-PPR drafts. Stuckey will stay active in the slot.

This is great news. People state that he's dealt with dropping the ball in his years in the NFL but I say this, that must be in practice because in real games this dude catches the football.

This is great news IMO. It's been a long time since the Jets have had a legit burner as a starting WR. The guy doesn't have to be great either. Just make enough catches to make defenses have to account for him and open things up underneath for Keller at TE and Stuckey in the slot.

This is great news IMO. It's been a long time since the Jets have had a legit burner as a starting WR. The guy doesn't have to be great either. Just make enough catches to make defenses have to account for him and open things up underneath for Keller at TE and Stuckey in the slot.

Santana was a burner.

Santana was a burner.

I know he was. I guess it just depends on what you consider to be "a long time". IMO, in todays NFL if it takes a team 4-5 years to acquire a WR fast enough to scare a defense, you took too long.

This is aside from the fact that despite his speed it was a waste of time because our QB couldn't reach him on a fly route.

How do you struggle with drops when you have only been thrown a catchable ball once in your career?

And I'm happy to hear he is taking reps at WR2. Stuck is more for the slot.

He should be working with the first team. I'm sick and tired of Brad Smith and his 97 chances. Screw him. He is good for reverses and trick plays, nothing else. Stuckey should be lined up in the slot, along with Keller and Cotchery and Clowney on the outside.

He should be working with the first team. I'm sick and tired of Brad Smith and his 97 chances. Screw him. He is good for reverses and trick plays, nothing else. Stuckey should be lined up in the slot, along with Keller and Cotchery and Clowney on the outside.

Agree. I think Stuckey is a better all around and polished receiver than Clowney, but Stuckey is better in the slot than outside. Starting Clowney on the outside gives us a deep threat that defenses have to pay attention to if nothing else.

And you are right about Smith. Makes absolutely sensational catches in practice, but sucks in games - real or pre-season.

• 7 months later...

BUMP (from August 2009).

This seems SO long ago. I love these gems:

It is going to be a long, painfull year for the Clowney haters. :P

:rl::rl::rl::rl::rl::rl:

BUMP (from August 2009).

This seems SO long ago. I love these gems:

:rl::rl::rl::rl::rl::rl:

I stick with what I said at the time. If he'd been playing well enough to start as the post suggested was possible and we never got Braylon, he would only need to make an occassional catch to keep defenses honest.

Archived