New York Islanders 2009-2010 Season Thread

Lil Bit Special

http://www.newsday.com/blogs/sports/isles-files-1.812028/frans-skates-rick-dipietro-makes-next-step-1.1501467

Frans Nielsen, who injured his right knee during training camp, skated lightly for the first time since undergoing an arthroscopic procedure two weeks ago.

Rick DiPietro also made his next step, simulating game-like situations (scrambling, shot-and-rebound) while facing shots in practice today.

Also, Blake Comeau and Doug Weight will play in Ottawa on Thursday.

As a Rangers fan, think Nassau County's pols are giving him Wang a long, hard screwing over. The area around the Coliseum is rife for developement,the Coliseum is now a dump and no one else is looking to spend the money to fix it up and do something with the area like Wang is. They've known what he wants to do, that he will foot most of the bill and yet they won't give him the courtesy of an answer.

0-0-3.

WTF.

BTW my Rangers are 3-1. :) Only loss was a 1 G loss to the defending Champs, at the Melon.

at least we've gotten a point in the first 3 games... better than outright losing...

and last night really hurt.. sitting in the TD Garden with a 3 goal lead with 10 min to go and watching them blow it... hurt badly... all the Bruins fans around me felt bad for how lousy the isles are...

What's really happening is teams take us lightly so we jump on them. THen when teams fall behind they pick up their game and we cant hold on.

Yes but we're clearly pressing early in the game and can't keep the pressuer going all the way through the 3rd. They get tired. And collapse.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/gordon-changes-things-moving-okposo-to-nielsen-line-1.1535810

Late in an otherwise productive Islanders practice, coach Scott Gordon abruptly stopped everything on the ice, yelled loudly at the power-play unit, added an expletive and then flung the puck the length of the ice. It looked like a fastball, but it was meant as a change of pace.

Change is what the Islanders need more than anything, 18 days into a season that is winless so far. Gordon probably will change lines Wednesday night, with center Frans Nielsen expected to make his season debut and Kyle Okposo skating with him instead of with John Tavares. On the same theme, the coach insisted the group improve its work effort during the extra-man drill Tuesday. On the other hand, players recognize that some of their problems lately have been caused by trying too hard.

It is a delicate balance, trying to go from no wins to one.

"The key is understanding, as coaches and players, that there are going to be mistakes," said Gordon, whose team is 0-3-3 entering the game against the Hurricanes Wednesday night at Nassau Coliseum. "It's how you respond to the mistakes. If you make a mistake, you cover your own rear end. If you're the next line out there, you certainly don't want to make the same mistake. Somebody has got to grab the bull by the horns and say, 'You know what? We need to step up here.' "

In fact, the Islanders say they have been working on ways to say just that. They had a players' meeting Sunday and a trip to the Jets game. "There are different ways to react to different people and that's exactly why we hang out off the ice," Bruno Gervais said. "We get to know each other. We know a lot more about how to reach someone."

Mark Streit, the power-play quarterback who has one goal and three assists, said, "We've got to keep it as simple as possible. Move the puck, don't try to go through seams right away. Move it around and as soon as you've got a shot, you take the shot. It's not a secret, but sometimes guys try too hard to work for the perfect play."

Gordon is trying something new with his lineup. The coach is taking Okposo off the one productive line (with Matt Moulson and Tavares), replacing him with Doug Weight, and moving him alongside Nielsen, who is coming off arthroscopic knee surgery. Nielsen says he feels healthy and free of the frustration of watching without helping.

"I love playing with Kyle. You give the puck to him, you'll get it back," he said. "He's our best player, so of course I'm happy to play with him."

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/gamecenter/preview/NHL_20091021_CAR@NYI

The Carolina Hurricanes have mostly struggled on offense, especially on the road. They have a prime opportunity to end those woes Wednesday night.

That's when the Hurricanes will try to earn their fifth straight victory over the winless New York Islanders and fifth in a row at Nassau Coliseum.

Carolina (2-4-1) has scored 14 goals this season - only three teams have fewer - and half of them came in a 7-2 rout of Florida on Oct. 9. That win marked the only time the Hurricanes have scored more than two goals in a game, and since that victory they've totaled four goals while losing three straight.

Carolina has been outscored 14-4 in losing all three road games this season and opened a four-game trip Saturday night with a 2-0 loss to New Jersey.

It marked the second shutout this season for the Hurricanes, who were blanked only once in 2008-09. Carolina missed on both of its power-play opportunities and has converted 4 of 36 chances (11.1 percent), second-to-last in the NHL.

"Our power play and our five-on-five offensive game are suffering from the exact same issues. We're slow with what we do," coach Paul Maurice told the team's official Web site. "A puck to the net is not the first mindset, and that's what we've got to do."

Cam Ward continued his solid play Saturday, with the only goal he allowed coming on a deflection off his shoulder 26 seconds into the third period. Ward, who has a 2.42 goals-against average, is 9-2-0 with a 2.34 GAA all-time against the Islanders and started each win of a four-game series sweep last season.

The Hurricanes outscored New York 24-9 in those four matchups and are 11-3-1 in the series since Jan. 6, 2006. They're 16-5-2 in Long Island since moving from Hartford before the 1997-98 season.

One team with fewer goals than Carolina this season is the Islanders (0-3-3), who have scored 13 en route to the worst start in franchise history. They join Toronto as the league's only winless clubs.

Since dropping its first three after regulation and falling 2-1 to Los Angeles, New York has suffered consecutive three-goal defeats, including Saturday night's 4-1 home loss to San Jose.

The Islanders led 1-0 after outshooting the Sharks 19-8 in the first period but gave up two goals in each of the next two periods while getting outshot in both.

"They, after the first period, came out and were a lot more disciplined with getting back to their zone and putting back-pressure on the puck," coach Scott Gordon said. "Our response to that was to not get pucks to the net."

Matt Moulson scored in his third straight game and has a team-best four goals, but John Tavares is the only other Islander with more than one. Kyle Okposo assisted on Moulson's goal and has a point in all six games.

Carolina's leading goal scorer, Ray Whitney, is expected to play in his 1,000th game Wednesday. He registered a goal and five assists last season against the Islanders, and has six goals and 18 assists in 17 matchups since the beginning of the 2002-03 season.

Eric Staal, who has one goal in the last five games, scored a team-leading six versus New York last season.

Carolina hasn't lost four straight since a five-game skid from Jan. 8-17.

http://www.newsobserver.com/front/story/149796.html

The Hurricanes are leaving today for a three-game road trip, with the first game Wednesday against the winless New York Islanders (0-3-3).

Which, in turn, makes Canes coach Paul Maurice more than a little edgy.

Especially when you go back and watch the games that they've played," he said today. "They've worked their butts off and they have some high-end young talent there."

That includes forward John Tavares, the No. 1 overall pick in this year's NHL Draft. Tavares has done his part with three goals and four assists andis tied for the team lead in points.

"They deserved to win two, maybe three of the games they've played and just got some strange breaks and bounces," Maurice said. "That happens to young teams until they catch fire, and then watch out.

"It's not like we're 12 or 15 points ahead of them. So I think you're going to see two teams come out with a snarl. If we play our butts off, we have a chance to win, and that's it."

The Canes had a full complement of players at today's practice. Returning were Eric Staal, Matt Cullen, Ray Whitney, Sergei Samsonov, Joni Pitkanen and Cam Ward, who all missed Monday's workout.

"I think the rest was real important for those guys because they all skated well," Maurice said. "We were looking for some sharpness and some pace in our practice ... and sme mental focus and not waiting for the game to get ready."

Maurice made a few tweaks to the lines. Cullen was centering Scott Walker and Chad LaRose, with Samsonov on a wing on Rod Brind'Amour's line with Jussi Jokinen.

"We're working towards getting some guys comfortable together," he said. "We need to get LaRose and Walker going a little bit. Just in terms of their ability to get out on the ice more, I think their energy level is something we need and we're going to see them a little more on the ice."

General manager Jim Rutherford said today that Erik Cole, who was expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a leg fracture, should be close to returning in the four-week range.

WE WIN ONE!!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

new_york_islanders.jpg

WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 big wins in a row. Rangers and Capitols.

Awesome.

make that 3, a 5-0 blow out of the sabres with a TAMEBELLINI hat trick. That's awesome.

Game on monday against the oilers, we win and were actually in the top 8 through 1 month. I know thats nothing to be excited about, but hey I dont think anyone expected the islanders to be even around the 8 seed after the first month.

What's also a bright side is is we didnt blow those 3rd period leads we could easily have a few more points. it sucks we threw those away but at least we can say weve stayed tough, with a just a FEW mishaps.

make that 3, a 5-0 blow out of the sabres with a TAMEBELLINI hat trick. That's awesome.

Game on monday against the oilers, we win and were actually in the top 8 through 1 month. I know thats nothing to be excited about, but hey I dont think anyone expected the islanders to be even around the 8 seed after the first month.

What's also a bright side is is we didnt blow those 3rd period leads we could easily have a few more points. it sucks we threw those away but at least we can say weve stayed tough, with a just a FEW mishaps.

Yes, I'm just happy that the kids have been exciting, win or lose. It sucks when they blow it in OT especially when they were leading. But looking down the road, as long as we don't trade away anyone we shouldn't it looks promising. I love Okposo and Tavares on the same line.

3-1 win over the oilers. WITT with 2 goals and tavares nets another. Rolson is 4-0-1 in his last 5 games.

WE ARE TIED FOR THE 6TH SEED.

Yes, its only november but did ANYONE think we would be in this spot at all this season?

Definitely happy with we're we are at at this point. Especially considering all those games that didn't go our way.

We definitely have some fire power this year. Okposo is growing up fast. And we uprgaded at goaltending.

Thanks bro, you too.

Didn't expect much last night anyways.

Can't really blame the Isles at all...the Sabres just responded really well to an equally bad game on their part. One thing that really jumps out at me is the 45-8 faceoff stat. That has to be close to a record.

Outside of that you guys have a pretty nice team coming together, although if Dipietro comes back you'll have a LOT of money tied up in goalies. I imagine that would make Biron the odd man out...if that is the case I have to assume the Sabres will have interested barring Jhonas Enroth tearing things up.

I have to admit they are doing lots better than I expected -- I am glad I kept my center Ice paackage.

As a Ranger fan I have to say that I am shocked how well they are playing so far-the young guys are playing real well for them

• 2 months later...

New York Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro makes 32 saves

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/2010/01/16/2010-01-16_dipietro_holds_off_tears_sabres.html#ixzz0cu6jjaZH

ISLANDERS 3, SABRES 2

After missing over a year of NHL action because of knee and hip problems, Rick DiPietro has been anxious about getting his career back on track - so much so that he fought back tears on the ice Saturday night.

In his return to Nassau Coliseum - and his second start of the season - the Islanders' franchise goalie turned away 31 shots through overtime, then stopped five of eight attempts in the shootout in a 3-2 win over the Northeast Division-leading Sabres.

"I was trying not to cry on the ice," DiPietro said. "That's the one thing I told myself. I wouldn't cry. It's an emotional time for me. It's been a long time coming and it's been a rough road. Just to get the win was amazing."

DiPietro had not won an NHL game since Dec. 26, 2008, when he beat the Maple Leafs 4-1.

After Trent Hunter beat Ryan Miller in the shootout's eighth round with a wrist shot that hit the post and hooked in, Buffalo's Patrick Kaleta shot wide of DiPietro's net to seal the game. "It's a huge weight off his shoulders," Islanders coach Scott Gordon said. "I was happy to see him get it."

Rookie center John Tavares scored his first goal in 10 games, while Sean Bergenheim also scored for the Islanders (21-19-8).

DiPietro, who played in just five games last season, made his first start of this season Jan. 8 in Dallas after an extensive rehabilitation, a 4-3 loss.

"When we can stop talking about this," he said of his comeback, "it'll be great."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/2010/01/16/2010-01-16_dipietro_holds_off_tears_sabres.html#ixzz0cu73bi2L

Archived