Breaking Down the Jets vs the Dolphins

jason423

With the first quarter of the season complete, the surprising Jets, at 3-1, enter an extremely important four game stretch beginning Monday night in Miami. The 1-3 Miami Dolphins will be treating this game as their Super Bowl. A loss here ends their hopes of having a chance to defend their title while a win puts them right back in the AFC East hunt. The Jets will be coming off a loss for the first time this season and will have something of a microscope on them and their young Quarterback during this game. Win convincingly and the Jets solidify their role as contender. Lose and there will be questions about where the team is headed in 2009.

Jets Offense vs. Dolphins Defense

Lost in the terrible start for Miami, is the fact that their defense has played very well this season. They held the Falcons below 20 and the Chargers to just 16 offensive points in San Diego in a game where the Dolphins were deflated after losing the starting QB. The teams run defense has been outstanding and has been led by the very consistent defensive line. NT Jason Ferguson may be having his best season since his run with the Jets early in the decade. Ferguson is doing an excellent job in the middle of the line occupying blockers and eliminating the ability of the opposition to cut back. DE Kendall Langford has shown continued improvement, especially against the run, though he could be scratched from the game due to an ankle injury. DE Phillip Merling, their most versatile player on the line, is also injured. He is a key backup and that will hurt the team if he can not play. The Dolphin linebackers have had a hit or miss season. While they have played well in run support they have been unable to make plays in the backfield and have had issues in coverage. They are getting torched by the oppositions tight ends including Dallas Clark going for over 180 yards. Their two aging stars- Jason Taylor and Joey Porter- have been basically invisible all season. They expect impact plays from these two, but thus far there has been little, other than Taylor

I agree with your overall assessment. Jets are going to take more chances on both sides of the ball and have the overall talent that can afford to take those chances...and that will be the difference.

We just have more talent. The only players I would take of there's over ours are Ronnie over TJ and Porter over Thomas. Beyond that, we're better at every position.

This will be a real disappointment if we dont dominate this team, especially on the defensive side. They really shouldn't score a TD.

Great analysis again, Jason.

And with the reverse jinx broken, you're free to chose the correct victor, which you did.

None homerlicious or anything, I think the Fins are going to get smoked in this game.

I know people like to distinguish the personnel for the Ravens and Jets when discussing what the Jets will do to an opponent, but we can't overlook the fact that Joe Flacco was absolutely awful in that Miami playoff game, but the Ravens won handily because Chad was worse.

Sanchez just needs to play decent in this game and it won't even be close. It won't be easy, but it won't be close either.

Strangely, the Edwards acquisition has brought me back to my teenage days of drawing up offensive plays.

If Schotty can put Edwards, Clowney, Keller, and Cotchery on the field out wide (BE & DC on the left side and DK & JC on the right), the Jets can wreck havok on the Fins secondary.

I can envision Edwards (on the outside) running a Slant Route while Clowney (on the inside) running a Go Route.

I would have to believe that the corner would go with Edwards. The safety will have to choose between doubling Edwards or going after Clowney.

On a play action Sanchez can hit Clowney deep depending on where the safety is (if he goes to Edwards) or to Edwards over the middle.

This has the potential to be a huge play.

I wonder what Schotty is dreaming up?

Strangely, the Edwards acquisition has brought me back to my teenage days of drawing up offensive plays.

If Schotty can put Edwards, Clowney, Keller, and Cotchery on the field out wide (BE & DC on the left side and DK & JC on the right), the Jets can wreck havok on the Fins secondary.

I can envision Edwards (on the outside) running a Slant Route while Clowney (on the inside) running a Go Route.

I would have to believe that the corner would go with Edwards. The safety will have to choose between doubling Edwards or going after Clowney.

On a play action Sanchez can hit Clowney deep depending on where the safety is (if he goes to Edwards) or to Edwards over the middle.

I can only imagine:

5yrh11v.gif

Knowing Schottenheimer Id imagine he is dreaming up two plays. One is where the Clown is replaced by Brad Smith. With Edwards size he will want to utilize his skill as a blocker, making Smith the new target for the WR screen.

The second play will have the Clown in the setup you described. All four guys run to basically the same spot on the field and Sanchez has to throw into quadruple coverage to find his target.

Bart Scott said it best

If the Dolphins put Smith against Edwards in one-on-one coverage, Jets linebacker Bart Scott has a message for the team that tries such a move:

"If you're dumb enough to leave him single-handed with one corner, so be it," said Scott, who added he has known Edwards for nine years. "Drop eight men in the box if you want to. Live or die with single coverage."

Scott said Edwards will cause teams to roll coverage toward him, which then would leave starter Jerricho Cotchery by himself. And if you find another way to cover both, it will leave tight end Dustin Keller to also cause some trouble in the passing game.

"And if you also find a linebacker that can handle him, then you've got Leon Washington matched up against a lesser athlete of a linebacker," Scott said.

In this concept if you have the slot running a go the outside receiver would most likely be doing a double move to the outside like a C or a post corner. What you are describing doesn't really work.

In this concept if you have the slot running a go the outside receiver would most likely be doing a double move to the outside like a C or a post corner. What you are describing doesn't really work.

That may be the case, but Edwards isn't running a post corner or C, but a slant to the middle of the field. It's a crossing pattern.

I remember something similar from the early 1990 Cowboys with Michael Irvin, Kelvin Martin & Alvin Harper.

All this talk about Schott, and while I'm certainly no fan, this offenses success is going to come down to how average Sanchez can play.. All the pieces are in place for a SB run, with the exception of QB..

That may be the case, but Edwards isn't running a post corner or C, but a slant to the middle of the field. It's a crossing pattern.

I understand, but that is not a route combination that forces the safety to make a choice. It's a clearout because he has to cover Clowney. Or whoever. This would be easier with a pen and paper but just try to picture how the play unfolds.

I remember something similar from the early 1990 Cowboys with Michael Irvin, Kelvin Martin & Alvin Harper.

Where Harper does a curl and Irvin runs a crossing pattern except on the one play against San Francisco where Irvin wanted to switch so Harper got to score the touchdown instead? Not familiar with that one. Also different from the concept and routes you describe.

Archived