US Qualifies for the World Cup

Otter

Is anyone concerned that they gave up 2 goals to Honduras?

I didn't get to watch the game, but it looks like they have a team that can make it fairly deep into the tourney.

I agree with Sunil Gulati, the US is talented enough to win the 2010 World Cup.

I say that with the caveat that the goalie and defense would have to play way beyond what they have shown, but in theory I think they can win it.

There's not a chance they win it IMO. Sorry guys, you have some talented players but don't underestimate just how good some of the international powerhouses are. Spain will be very hard to beat. Iniesta and Xavi in the middle of the park are almost unplayable.

Never.

Look at 2002.

The US made it to the quarters and the Korea made it to the semis.

While the US is clearly not a soccer power, a goalie that plays ridiculously well could spur a team to the World Cup.

Can the US win? Sure. They have a modest amount of talent. Will they? No. Probably bounced in the first round depending on draw.

Never.

Look at 2002.

The US made it to the quarters and the Korea made it to the semis.

While the US is clearly not a soccer power, a goalie that plays ridiculously well could spur a team to the World Cup.

Can the US win? Sure. They have a modest amount of talent. Will they? No. Probably bounced in the first round depending on draw.

And the US has just the keeper to do that too. People forget that Howard is starting to emerge as one of the Top 5 goalkeepers in the world. If he turned in a Oliver Kahn 2002-like performance next year, we could go places.

Where I'm particularly worried now is with our backfield. We already had problems to begin with, and now Gooch is out for 3-4 months with a torn muscle in his knee. He'll be back in time for WC, but that's still 3-4 months he hasn't been out on the pitch. Looks like Edgar Castillo will be getting some playing time hopefully.

Archived