6-Year-Old Trapped On Flying Saucer

Lil Bit Special

Thanks for the link, neckdemon. By the time I saw it, the balloon admittedly was in partially deflated condition. But if the fully inflated balloon is in the shape of a flying saucer, (flat on top), it is difficult to imagine how it could lift anywhere near the 80 lbs the professor said.

One news account gave the size of the balloon as approximately 20 feet wide by 5 feet high, which is about the same as my estimate of 16 feet across and 6 feet high. I think the prof made a mistake.

It's encouraging to see that at least one network made an attempt to deal with the question, though.

Just looking at that thing I would be totally floored if it could lift 8 pounds let alone 80. I agree, I think the prof miscalculated or was just full of BS.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow I just saw this for the first time. They're lying but if for by any chance at all they are actually telling the truth, they are two of the dumbest people I have ever seen.

When I found out there wasn't a kid inside, after the huge deal that this became, I couldn't help but say sick burn.

Actually you know what, they're still the two of the dumbest people ever.

This guy should be sterilized so he can't reproduce any more. What a douche.

Guess what? I messed up the math in my previous post. I arrived at answer of 400 cu ft for a cylinder 16 feet wide by six feet high, and it's actually about 1200 cu ft. Which, if fully filled with helium, will lift about 75 lbs. Even allowing for the fact that this thing was not a perfect cylinder and the lifting power therefore somewhat less, it should be somewhere within hailing distance of the number. So the prof was right, as far as theoretical lifting pwer goes.

However, the thing was so oddly constructed that I don't think it was ever fully inflated with helium. This video shown by the family shows the liftoff the thing just before the moment the family allegedly discovered the boy might be aboard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QDzPjjoq8Y&feature=player_embedded

The family supposedly thought this thing was empty at the moment it went up, yet the thing looks mighty sluggish just the same. The family must have had some idea of it's lifting power-it's pretty plain this rickety thing couldn't get thirty pounds off the ground.

I just saw a report that said the cops attempted to lift 37 pounds with it and and it wouldn't go up-surprise, surprise.

So I was right after all-though more by dumb luck than any ability to deduce anything mathematically, lol.

Guess what? I messed up the math in my previous post. I arrived at answer of 400 cu ft for a cylinder 16 feet wide by six feet high, and it's actually about 1200 cu ft. Which, if fully filled with helium, will lift about 75 lbs. Even allowing for the fact that this thing was not a perfect cylinder and the lifting power therefore somewhat less, it should be somewhere within hailing distance of the number. So the prof was right, as far as theoretical lifting pwer goes.

However, the thing was so oddly constructed that I don't think it was ever fully inflated with helium. This video shown by the family shows the liftoff the thing just before the moment the family allegedly discovered the boy might be aboard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QDzPjjoq8Y&feature=player_embedded

The family supposedly thought this thing was empty at the moment it went up, yet the thing looks mighty sluggish just the same. The family must have had some idea of it's lifting power-it's pretty plain this rickety thing couldn't get thirty pounds off the ground.

I just saw a report that said the cops attempted to lift 37 pounds with it and and it wouldn't go up-surprise, surprise.

So I was right after all-though more by dumb luck than any ability to deduce anything mathematically, lol.

Never the less, great idea.

The baloon looked flimsy as hell and wasnt even fully inflated.

Archived