Sometimes, I wish the NFL were more like College football

frankmoga

Hear me out on this. I wish sometimes that the NFL playoff seeding was more like college football. We are seeded 9th or 10th trying for a playoff spot, but are much better than that. We lost to Miami twice (they didn't beat us) and this we lose in a tie-breaker with them. We are playing playoff football now and deserve to get in the playoffs. If there were a true NFL power rankings system, we would probably get the nod for the playoffs from the voters. I wish there were some remedy for us to get in based on how we are playing now, and that would nullify those losses to lesser and inferior teams like the Dolphins, Bills (once) and even Jags, whom we basically beat. Thoughts?

Mogs

Thoughts? This idea is retarded. There's a reason CFB fans are begging to switch to a playoff system. The polls are biased and a popularity contest (see back-to-back B12/SEC Championship Games) and not every team gets a fair shake. The NFL has a great Playoff system and the best in sports IMO. And "Miami didn't beat us?" and "Jags whom we basically beat?" What a crock of ****.

And "Miami didn't beat us?" and "Jags whom we basically beat?" What a crock of ****.

I beg to differ...We lost, they didn't beat us. There is a difference dude.

There is not one true Jet fan or player who doesn't know in their heart of hearts that we are the better team and that own the Dolphins. Both times we lost because of BS flukes. 1st time was wildcat, second time was Theodore Ginn Jr....we still are the better team and 9 times out of 10 beat them. I do not respect anything about the Dolphins... their organization sucks from their stadium down to their fat cheerleaders.

MOga

Thoughts? This idea is retarded. There's a reason CFB fans are begging to switch to a playoff system. The polls are biased and a popularity contest (see back-to-back B12/SEC Championship Games) and not every team gets a fair shake.

Great point.

I think the NBA playoff system really shows who is the better overall team. But that would be impossible for many reasons in the NFL.

I beg to differ...We lost, they didn't beat us. There is a difference dude.

There is not one true Jet fan or player who doesn't know in their heart of hearts that we are the better team and that own the Dolphins. Both times we lost because of BS flukes. 1st time was wildcat, second time was Theodore Ginn Jr....we still are the better team and 9 times out of 10 beat them. I do not respect anything about the Dolphins... their organization sucks from their stadium down to their fat cheerleaders.

MOga

Okay, and you're a homer. That's fine, but you sound ridiculous.

Hear me out on this. I wish sometimes that the NFL playoff seeding was more like college football. We are seeded 9th or 10th trying for a playoff spot, but are much better than that. We lost to Miami twice (they didn't beat us) and this we lose in a tie-breaker with them. We are playing playoff football now and deserve to get in the playoffs. If there were a true NFL power rankings system, we would probably get the nod for the playoffs from the voters. I wish there were some remedy for us to get in based on how we are playing now, and that would nullify those losses to lesser and inferior teams like the Dolphins, Bills (once) and even Jags, whom we basically beat. Thoughts?

Mogs

I just think that the NFL has to extend the playoff teams from 6 to either 8 without a playoff bye or 10 w/playoff bye.

Sure it sucks, but frankly if at the end of the season the teams are tied, the Dolphins deserve to go to the playoffs over the Jets. Same goes for every other team who's beat the Jets head-to-head. While I can understand disagreeing with some of the tie-breaking procedures beyond that, it doesn't get more fair than head-to-head matchups.

I just think that the NFL has to extend the playoff teams from 6 to either 8 without a playoff bye or 10 w/playoff bye.

I don't agree with this, as to do so essentially negates any relevance to the regular season. You're talking about putting anywhere from 50% (16 of 32) to 62.5% (20 of 32) of the teams in the NFL in the playoffs. Sure, it makes things more interesting for fans of the mediocre teams who then get to make it into the playoffs, but from a competitive standpoint I think it would be a mistake.

I don't agree with this, as to do so essentially negates any relevance to the regular season. You're talking about putting anywhere from 50% (16 of 32) to 62.5% (20 of 32) of the teams in the NFL in the playoffs. Sure, it makes things more interesting for fans of the mediocre teams who then get to make it into the playoffs, but from a competitive standpoint I think it would be a mistake.

You're absolutely right. But what happens when you have 11 win teams in the AFC taking a seat but 9 win NFC teams having opportunities to go to the superbowl...on top of the fact that there only 12 spots in the first place? There are I believe 30 teams in the NBA and they have 8 playoff spots per conference. So they have 4 more playoff spots in the NBA with 2 less teams than the NFL. Its possible.

My method may not be the best solution, but I do also recognize that the method right now really isnt fair for teams that happen to be simply in the wrong conference persay. 20 playoff teams may be too much. I agree with that. But to fight for 6 spots out of 16 teams per conference is beast mode...especially when you only have 16 games and not 82 like the NBA. There will be teams that are playoff Caliber teams missing the Playoffs. We've seen 11 win teams miss it.

Archived