Mafia Game Thread--The Thing

SMC

No, I'm not serious...

I know if I had no heat on me all of day one... I would certainly start implying that the others that had no heat were assimilated though.

But that's going to happen (and already has) either way, right? People who had a lot of pressure Day 1 will suspect the innocent-looking people of being assimilated, and people who didn't catch much heat will still suspect the other innocent-looking people of being assimilated ...

I know the list of potential candidates is long and didn't intend my Slats comment to generate so much discussion. I'm certainly not saying I have a strong feeling about it, just that it's who I would have chosen if I were scum. Like I have already said, it would be hard trying to figure out who's been assimilated at this point.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But that's going to happen (and already has) either way, right? People who had a lot of pressure Day 1 will suspect the innocent-looking people of being assimilated, and people who didn't catch much heat will still suspect the other innocent-looking people of being assimilated ...

I know the list of potential candidates is long and didn't intend my Slats comment to generate so much discussion. I'm certainly not saying I have a strong feeling about it, just that it's who I would have chosen if I were scum. Like I have already said, it would be hard trying to figure out who's been assimilated at this point.[/QUOTE]

There is original scum that had to exist on day one and there's more information to be had trying to get that one than trying to magically decipher the converted.

I'm trying to decide what to make of CTM. Day 1 CTM looked fine to me, day 2 CTM makes me suspicious. As in, I don't really understand the motive of voting BG, building a weak case, than switching to Pac.

What's the motivation there, CTM?

There is original scum that had to exist on day one and there's more information to be had trying to get that one than trying to magically decipher the converted.

I'm trying to decide what to make of CTM. Day 1 CTM looked fine to me, day 2 CTM makes me suspicious. As in, I don't really understand the motive of voting BG, building a weak case, than switching to Pac.

What's the motivation there, CTM?

For BG I told you what it was. he fit the profile and made some suspicous sounding posts (to me)

In terms of pac, when have you ever seen that mangy stubborn mutt let go of anything when he thought he smelled blood? End of day 2 he was all about i28, post avm lynch he was all about i28, openning of day 2 he was all about AVM, assimilation occurs, and now he's over i28? Honestly the only thing that gives me pause is that it's too easy, but i'm not wifom'ing myself out of asking questions..

There almost has to be a vigilanti or SK type in this kind of setup (assuming scum don't NK)

There's this from the opening scene:

But be warned, research team, there are human members among you that may be an ally or ultimately an enemy.

I think it's pretty clear that there is more than one person -that is, not the Thing- that is, or can be, anti-town.

Playing games with SMC, I know he considers vigilantes to be as dangerous to the town as to scum, if not moreso, so a vig wouldn't surprise me at all. That might fit with the "ally or ultimately an enemy" line. A SK almost certainly wouldn't've holstered on the first night, so I don't think we have one of those. But it's plural, so maybe there's some kind of survivor in this game, too. I'm another one who hasn't see then movie, so I don't know if those types of roles fit - but this game doesn't have to fit the movie exactly, either.

We all suspect the innocent-looking ones to get assimilated. For me, Slats seemed the most innocent Day 1, which I made explicit at the time. So I think he makes a particularly good choice for assimilation.

How about you stop saying how innocent (NOT!) I might look at any given time? :lol: I think it might've helped me early on, but lately, not so much.

I have to say, it crossed my mind that I might be targeted for exactly that reason, but I also thought that I might be too obvious a choice for exactly that reason. Maybe they picked up on the fact that I'd be a crappy teammate because I'm so sick of being scum - because they haven't converted me, yet.

But again, there's such a wide range of reasons for them to assimilate a player that it's counter-productive to try and guess, IMHO. They could convert an obvious townie, someone they thought was onto them, someone completely out of the blue. When JiF had the cult role, his first convert was his BFF Crusher. Would they be that obvious?

There's this from the opening scene:

I think it's pretty clear that there is more than one person -that is, not the Thing- that is, or can be, anti-town.

Playing games with SMC, I know he considers vigilantes to be as dangerous to the town as to scum, if not moreso, so a vig wouldn't surprise me at all. That might fit with the "ally or ultimately an enemy" line. A SK almost certainly wouldn't've holstered on the first night, so I don't think we have one of those. But it's plural, so maybe there's some kind of survivor in this game, too. I'm another one who hasn't see then movie, so I don't know if those types of roles fit - but this game doesn't have to fit the movie exactly, either.

How about you stop saying how innocent (NOT!) I might look at any given time? :lol: I think it might've helped me early on, but lately, not so much.

I have to say, it crossed my mind that I might be targeted for exactly that reason, but I also thought that I might be too obvious a choice for exactly that reason. Maybe they picked up on the fact that I'd be a crappy teammate because I'm so sick of being scum - because they haven't converted me, yet.

But again, there's such a wide range of reasons for them to assimilate a player that it's counter-productive to try and guess, IMHO. They could convert an obvious townie, someone they thought was onto them, someone completely out of the blue. When JiF had the cult role, his first convert was his BFF Crusher. Would they be that obvious?

Ha, I know - sorry, I didn't expect another three questions about it.

I think it makes sense that there's at least someone in this game who can shoot, if we're not going to have any NKs and the scum will just continue converting. Like CTM said, doc/cop roles won't do us a ton of good with all the conversions.

Last night and this morning beat me up. I'm gonna veg out in front of the TV and hopefully pass out soon. I'll be back at work tomorrow at 7am to catch up on anything you guys get up to tonight.

JiF is still my favorite, and I would be pleased if the town decided to go in that direction. :)

I thought Crusher's strategy was bad, and that his defense looked scummy as hell, but when I went back and saw that he was ready with that defense right on the spot I just figured it was a bad play. But he has been a little shady, showing up everytime I notice that he hasn't been around in a while. I won't be shocked if he's posted again before I hit "submit" on this post.

I also think we could WIFOM ourselves to death trying to guess where they went with the conversion today. They could have any p

ossible motivation there. Not sure how productive that line of thinking will be.

Shady really? Shady is trying to insinuate that I show up after you post, but you just don;t look at my post and ask where I am. I just thought you where worried Boopsie was woo woo wooing Danx and your looking for a new soul mate.

Pacs vote on me makes sense. He wanted me cooked day and sticking to his guns. More this game go's on more Pac seems to be playing his typically agreesive self.

Shady really? Shady is trying to insinuate that I show up after you post, but you just don;t look at my post and ask where I am. I just thought you where worried Boopsie was woo woo wooing Danx and your looking for a new soul mate.

Pacs vote on me makes sense. He wanted me cooked day and sticking to his guns. More this game go's on more Pac seems to be playing his typically agreesive self.

This was my take on it, too. He was the only one who didn't immediately unvote after your heartwrenching post. Seems fairly consistent to me.

Looking for the converted is going to be a little bit like shooting in the dark. Really any one of us can be converted, but i personally feel better about going with people i had suspicions on from day one or "original scum".

Sharrow is still mysterious at best to me. I have no good feel about his alignment.

Vote: sharrow

I fully agree with JVOR and Slats that trying to guess converts is like trying to suppress my appetite, its something you could say but chances are it's not happening.

Like JVOR 'm also starting to wonder about Sharrow. Had a very slow start and only got started getting going after a couple shout outs. Popped in and laid a really quick vote at his beginning of day 1.

I realize thats the way he plays and like Bleedin green has the propensity to cruise to end game as scum rather readily.

I'm putting my vote on him but will be back in the morning or late tonight if I have no chance of a rematch with the Mrs.

vote: sharrow

I fully agree with JVOR and Slats that trying to guess converts is like trying to suppress my appetite, its something you could say but chances are it's not happening.

Like JVOR 'm also starting to wonder about Sharrow. Had a very slow start and only got started getting going after a couple shout outs. Popped in and laid a really quick vote at his beginning of day 1.

I realize thats the way he plays and like Bleedin green has the propensity to cruise to end game as scum rather readily.

I'm putting my vote on him but will be back in the morning or late tonight if I have no chance of a rematch with the Mrs.

Sharrow is probably my #2 FOS right now, bumping Vic down to #3. I am really intrigued by how he tried to jump on Pac's attempt to bully my hammer vote last night. Maybe I am only seeing his actions from my own perspective, but it seemed very opportunistic.

Maybe Pac isn't scum, but its not far-fetched that scum wouldn't see the scenario I brought up and try to capitalize on it.

Interesting.

A post assimilation drastic change of play.

unvote

vote: Pac

Interesting indeed.

Last night you were saying you wished you hadn't given up your original case on I2D2 then followed it up by dramatically telling AVM it appears he hasn't died in vain. I fully expected you to come in today pressuring I2 along with me but instead you come up with an amateur Google case against BG and a vote on me...

Now to me that could mean that I2 is the scum I think he is and he didn't want both of us coming after him today... He figured he could keep pounding away at his Pac's dangerous crap and who better to recruit then a guy who's respected in the game and is known to mix it up with me. How convenient that right after you voted me he hitched a ride and voted as well.... Too convenient if you ask me.

Something stinks with you today... bad.

Interesting indeed.

Last night you were saying you wished you hadn't given up your original case on I2D2 then followed it up by dramatically telling AVM it appears he hasn't died in vain. I fully expected you to come in today pressuring I2 along with me but instead you come up with an amateur Google case against BG and a vote on me...

You stupid gorrilla.. I cleary said i wasn't going to take the easy case right out of the shoot and I'd wait to see what went down.

Went back to check CTM's post to start the day and it's stupid as I remember. Nice to see all I had to do was switch a vote to get some info...

Unvote

Vote CTM

Now to me that could mean that I2 is the scum I think he is and he didn't want both of us coming after him today... He figured he could keep pounding away at his Pac's dangerous crap and who better to recruit then a guy who's respected in the game and is known to mix it up with me. How convenient that right after you voted me he hitched a ride and voted as well.... Too convenient if you ask me.

Something stinks with you today... bad.

So the crux of your case is that i28 is the thing and recruited me, and you are voting me in response.

Shameless. What a joke.

And crusher/ Dan X, i guess pac isn't as consistant as you thought?

That said... there was NO WAY in the world I expected Pac to do anything other than drive the case to lynch me today, and as I predicted he came out and voted for me right away.

Then this... doesn't add up.

VOTE: PAC

Don't worry about me... I know exactly what I'm doing. How quickly you seem to have forgotten that all you had to do was listen to me last game and we would have won in a rout. Keep up this crusade you got going though... if you're innocent (which is unlikely) you apparently need to be proven wrong a few more times before you realize zeroing in on 1 guy is not the way to play this game.... actually I don't think you've been right yet.

Don't worry about me... I know exactly what I'm doing. How quickly you seem to have forgotten that all you had to do was listen to me last game and we would have won in a rout. Keep up this crusade you got going though... if you're innocent (which is unlikely) you apparently need to be proven wrong a few more times before you realize zeroing in on 1 guy is not the way to play this game.... actually I don't think you've been right yet.

Blind squirrell...

And slats gave himself up, the onyl reason you knew about vic is you happenned to be roled..

I did listen to you last game. I listened to you say you were the doc... then 25(?) pages later say you were the cop. You tard.

If you hadn't played as sloppy last game, as I have this game... then maybe we'd have won in a rout.

Regardless, last game has no bearing on this game... and I'm not "worried" about you, I am just voting for you.

So the crux of your case is that i28 is the thing and recruited me, and you are voting me in response.

Shameless. What a joke.

And crusher/ Dan X, i guess pac isn't as consistant as you thought?

The crux of my case is that you are blatantly doing the very thing that you're accusing me of... drastically changing your style of play. What - you slept on it and thought eh... maybe I28 is ok after all. That doesn't make sense to me... at all.

nice edit btw.

Looking for the converted is going to be a little bit like shooting in the dark. Really any one of us can be converted, but i personally feel better about going with people i had suspicions on from day one or "original scum".

Sharrow is still mysterious at best to me. I have no good feel about his alignment.

Vote: sharrow

Mystery Man, alright. Guess I need to be less "mysterious". lol

TheShadow.preview.jpg

I did listen to you last game. I listened to you say you were the doc... then 25(?) pages later say you were the cop. You tard.

If you hadn't played as sloppy last game, as I have this game... then maybe we'd have won in a rout.

Regardless, last game has no bearing on this game... and I'm not "worried" about you, I am just voting for you.

those 25 pages in between were where I was trying to drive the simplicity of the situation into your dome. It should have taken about 2.

Mystery Man, alright. Guess I need to be less "mysterious". lol

TheShadow.preview.jpg

Are we seeing a trend of Sharrow posting shortly after, or in sync with, Pac? Like they do a little IM'ing... then put their scummy plans into action.

Gotta go back and look at the relationship between when these two grace us with their presence the past day or so...

Sharrow is probably my #2 FOS right now, bumping Vic down to #3. I am really intrigued by how he tried to jump on Pac's attempt to bully my hammer vote last night. Maybe I am only seeing his actions from my own perspective, but it seemed very opportunistic.

Maybe Pac isn't scum, but its not far-fetched that scum wouldn't see the scenario I brought up and try to capitalize on it.

I think you're a little mixed up here. When did I try to bully you? I wasn't even here when AVM got the hammer. I'm voting for you because it looked like you knew he was innocent before SMC posted his death scene. Personally, I thought it was pretty clear what "did they make the right decision or not?" meant.

those 25 pages in between were where I was trying to drive the simplicity of the situation into your dome. It should have taken about 2.

Yeah, it was just me. You realize we are playing a different game now right? :rolleyes:

Are we seeing a trend of Sharrow posting shortly after, or in sync with, Pac? Like they do a little IM'ing... then put their scummy plans into action.

Gotta go back and look at the relationship between when these two grace us with their presence the past day or so...

lol, yeah me and Pac watched the nascar race together, then we decided to come here and catch up, maybe post a little. We might get a little snack first and then we're going to bed.

The crux of my case is that you are blatantly doing the very thing that you're accusing me of... drastically changing your style of play. What - you slept on it and thought eh... maybe I28 is ok after all. That doesn't make sense to me... at all.

No i'm not. I voted for a lot of people last day, and have voted for a 2 so far today.

We don't play the same way, you and I. I actually change my mind, consider new information, etc.. You make it up based on limited information and run with it. It's science versus religion. Think back to day 1, I went from openly championing votes for i28, to thinking he was ok, to revoting him and thinking he was evil, to hammering AVM, to thinking i28 was evil again.

nice edit btw.

bah.. you're the king of it.. noticed a formatting error and tried to correct.

I think you're a little mixed up here. When did I try to bully you? I wasn't even here when AVM got the hammer. I'm voting for you because it looked like you knew he was innocent before SMC posted his death scene. Personally, I thought it was pretty clear what "did they make the right decision or not?" meant.

I didn't say YOU tried to bully me. The sentence reads clearly, that you tried to jump on PAC's attempt to bully my vote.

As far as the death scene thing goes, I thought that was it. Jif's were short and sweet, and there weren't pre-death scene scenes. That's the only mafia exposure I've had. Do you think I'd be spending this much time on the game if I was stupid enough to give myself away like that? Come on.

I didn't say YOU tried to bully me. The sentence reads clearly, that you tried to jump on PAC's attempt to bully my vote.

As far as the death scene thing goes, I thought that was it. Jif's were short and sweet, and there weren't pre-death scene scenes. That's the only mafia exposure I've had. Do you think I'd be spending this much time on the game if I was stupid enough to give myself away like that? Come on.

First time scum make a lot of mistakes. I remember my first scum game, I made a big mistake on day one but no one caught it. If they'd been reading closer they would have realized that I obviously knew too much information for a townie.

Anyway, I don't recall giving you any grief for not hammering AVM. I was voting for you long before that. You've just compiled far too many mistakes in this game, imo.

We don't play the same way, you and I. I actually change my mind, consider new information, etc.. You make it up based on limited information and run with it. It's science versus religion.

Ah yes the great "scientist" CTM. Tell me though -- why the 1 game out of every 10 you're actually innocent are you called the blind marksman? Why can't you get it right despite the wealth of data you accumulate?

lol, yeah me and Pac watched the nascar race together, then we decided to come here and catch up, maybe post a little. We might get a little snack first and then we're going to bed.

He doesn't even see the irony that he and CTM simultaneously jumped on me after I posted at 11:30 on a Saturday.

First time scum make a lot of mistakes. I remember my first scum game, I made a big mistake on day one but no one caught it. If they'd been reading closer they would have realized that I obviously knew too much information for a townie.

Anyway, I don't recall giving you any grief for not hammering AVM. I was voting for you long before that. You've just compiled far too many mistakes in this game, imo.

I didn't say you gave me grief... what you did was follow Pac's momentum on day one, and again here on day two.

Lets put it this way. I know I am town... and I see two people patting each other on the back while they are trying to get me lynched.

I can't argue that I have made mistakes, but I'm not going to stop trying to help the town. So... Even if you guys succeed in getting me lynched... I am making sure the town will know exactly who to go after once its clear I've been telling the truth.

He doesn't even see the irony that he and CTM simultaneously jumped on me after I posted at 11:30 on a Saturday.

I think its ironic that you spent more than half your posts in this game trying to build a case against me... and you suddenly switch your vote to Crusher after the assimilation on a whim.

I also think its ironic that you and Sharrow are in the process of validating my suspicion of your possible allegiance.

Archived