Is history on LT's side?

rick34125

Posted: Friday April 9, 2010 9:42AM; Updated: Friday April 9, 2010 11:59AM

Jeff Pearlman>PEARLS OF WISDOM

More Columns

Is Tomlinson another in long line of 30-plus RBs past their prime?

Story Highlights

After release by Chargers, Tomlinson signed with Jets; he has a lot to prove

LT has said he can still be a dominant player and the focal part of an offense

History isn't on LT's side; Dickerson, Emmitt Smith couldn't remake themselves

Like the lamest wedding toast or the sappiest eulogy, LaDainian Tomlinson's first words as a New York Jet last week touched on all the requisite points.

let me be the first to say that tomlinsons situation here with the jets is much different. he's not going to be the featured back.....he's gonna be the lesser part of a rbbc. he won't even get enough carries to be a 1,000yd back. the only way that plan changes is if greene gets hurt.

That's true. The Jets just made the decision that Tomlinson would get maybe five carries a game as a change-up back, and come out of the backfield and catch passes five to seven times a game. That's all they want from him, and they think he has enough left to do that effectively.

Nobody's expecting him to carry the team play after play.

let me be the first to say that tomlinsons situation here with the jets is much different. he's not going to be the featured back.....he's gonna be the lesser part of a rbbc. he won't even get enough carries to be a 1,000yd back. the only way that plan changes is if greene gets hurt.

Exactly. Does anybody think that 7-800 yards for Tomlinson would be a failure? Stupid premise. The guy isn't trying to be a lead back. He is trying to contribute. If he does it's success, whether he gets 1,000 yards or 500.

Thomas Jones was clearly on the downhill by the end of last season. The difference between a limited LT and TJ is LT can be a threat to catch passes. Jones is basically useless if he is past his prime running the ball. Personally speaking, Jones has been pretty slow and certainly not quick running for the Jets. He's been a 3 yards and down type runner for most of his time. This OL has been special and can make just about any RB look like a star. Personally I think LT can at least do what Jones did behind our OL.

Thomas Jones was clearly on the downhill by the end of last season. The difference between a limited LT and TJ is LT can be a threat to catch passes. Jones is basically useless if he is past his prime running the ball. Personally speaking, Jones has been pretty slow and certainly not quick running for the Jets. He's been a 3 yards and down type runner for most of his time. This OL has been special and can make just about any RB look like a star. Personally I think LT can at least do what Jones did behind our OL.

I don't know but he sure as hell seemed pretty quick with those 60+ yard TD runs last year. People marvel about Greene in the playoffs but let's not forget that he had fresh legs since TJ carried the load during the regular season.

I don't know but he sure as hell seemed pretty quick with those 60+ yard TD runs last year. People marvel about Greene in the playoffs but let's not forget that he had fresh legs since TJ carried the load during the regular season.

He had more games where he averaged less than 4 yards a carry than games where he averaged more than 4 yards a carry. In 2 of his last 3 games he averaged less than 3 yards a carry.

He had more games where he averaged less than 4 yards a carry than games where he averaged more than 4 yards a carry. In 2 of his last 3 games he averaged less than 3 yards a carry.

Take away his one great game against Buffalo and he averaged about 3.8 yards per carry in the remaining 15 games.

Archived