So what, is Marshall NOT a low character guy anymore?

stoicsentry

Who are you kidding. After that it will be the top six threads.

I'm already preparing them:

"Can you guys believe how stupid the Dolphins are?"

"OMG, that was a terrible pick by the Dolphins!"

"Hey check out this video of Dolphins fans booing their number one pick!"

"Has Parcells gone nuts?"

"When did Parcells hire Rich Kotite to run his draft?"

"The Dolphins did what?"

Smashmouth, you're sorely underestimating Holmes' value if you think anything more than a 5th rounder would have been too much. The dude is a former Super Bowl MVP and a WR1.

Even having Holmes for "just" 12 weeks (more if we make the postseason) for just 1 season would mean far more production than what we would potentially get out of our 5th round pick.

The Dolphins basically gave away a pair of potential starters by unloading two 2nds for Marshall.

Larry Brown was a Super Bowl MVP as well :) . We all know how that ended.

Im not saying Santonio cant become the receiver we all want him to be. I hope he becomes the best in the NFL I just think that right now some folks are getting a but too over hyped about Santonio we need to come back to earth for a bit. Some are calling him top five in the NFL and comparing him to a guy who some look at as arguably the best in the NFL right up there with Fitz and Johnson and I dont see that just yet from Holmes.

Talking about the picks, Yes I think we got Santonio for a song. We have to see if the guy is going to fit. I view Marshall as a superstar who can make it happen where ever he goes, I do not view Santonio that way . Just an opinion. ;)

Also keep in mind the second round picks the Jets would have dumped would probably be late seconds. It would not have been so devistating for us. Its possible Denver wanted more from the Jets due to the fact they assumed the Jets would be Playoff bound once again possibly contending for a SB therefore making the Miami picks more valuable to them. Ill bet the Broncos were pushing for a #1 this year and a #2 next year from the Jets which killed that deal.

Your initial statements had nothing to do with their skillsets as it relates to the NY Jets offense, as you were dealing in absolutes. If you're not basing your assessment that Marshall is the "better player" on fantasy numbers, then on what basis did you form this opinion?

As far as how they fit on the Jets, I'd much prefer to have the receiver that doesn't require the ball to be thrown to him 150+ times in order for his impact to be felt when the Jets have 3 good wideouts plus a pass-catching TE to which they can spread the ball around.

FYI - Holmes had around 10 less YAC on the season than Marshall on ~ 25 less receptions. I'm confident that the Jets will be able to move the chains without needing to rely on Marshall's monster Y/R numbers.

Johnny I based it on watching the guy play alot last year even when he was under the microscope every play he was very tough to stop.

I get insulted when people say I base opinions on fantasy numbers Im the exact opposite of that. My basis is that I Feel Marshall is a Posession type WR and thats the type of receiver Ive been screaming for, for years ever since we lost Keyshawn. Now if your looking at this from my persepctive and what I feel the jets need who is more of a Posession type WR who can move the chains Marshall or Holmes ? Thats what Im trying to get across. This team is built to win the SB now and I just feel Marshall was the better fit for our style of offense now and the 4 game suspension is not helping matters any.

"Some" also thought that Brett Ratliff was the second coming of Johnny Unitas...

Well I would have loved to see the guy get the shot and he never did. We still dont know whats there with him. Make the comparison of Romo who used to get laughed about on the Dallas radio stations for years until they finally gave him a shot. Now the guy throws for 30 + TDs. You never know until they get their shot. Lots of so called "Football Men" evaulate talent wrong all the time hell Kurt Warner was bagging grocries. Last year was the perfect time for Mangini to give Ratty a shot and he didnt do it... bad move. Not sure why but it remiinds me exactly what went on for years here in Dallas. Sometimes i wonder if Brady would have got his shot if not for a severe injury to Bledsoe ? I wonder if they wanted to make a change in the offseason if they would have shooped or gave it to Brady.

Ill bet the Broncos were pushing for a #1 this year and a #2 next year from the Jets which killed that deal.

I'll take that bet... how much?

Marshall was only tendered at the 1st round pick level, so the Jets could've had him for the #29 and an offer sheet the Broncos wouldn't match. He wasn't worth that much to the Jets, and I doubt he was worth the two 2nd's to them either.

My basis is that I Feel Marshall is a Posession type WR and thats the type of receiver Ive been screaming for, for years ever since we lost Keyshawn. Now if your looking at this from my persepctive and what I feel the jets need who is more of a Posession type WR who can move the chains Marshall or Holmes ? Thats what Im trying to get across. This team is built to win the SB now and I just feel Marshall was the better fit for our style of offense now and the 4 game suspension is not helping matters any.

I disagree with you here.

First, I just don't think Marshall Andre/Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitz good. I just don't. He's got that size, but I just don't see the same ability to stretch the field. He's a guy who puts up big numbers by having a lot more balls thrown to him than any other receiver in the league. Santonio had 130 more yards on 22 less catches last year. That's the kind of guy I'd be looking for with a solid possession WR in Cotchery already in the fold, and an emerging star at TE in Keller.

And you can't even compare the deals. Jets get a free one year trial on a pro bowl/Super Bowl MVP WR, while the fish are pretty much locked in at the cost of two 2nd rounders. In fact, the Jets got Braylon Edwards and Santonio for a 3rd and two 5ths. That's amazing when you look at the Marshall deal.

For the type of offense we run I think Marshall was the better player for us as well. hes a chain Mover Just like Key and Chrebet used to be. Hopefully Putting Cotch in the slot will make this whole WR thing work out. And hopefully the Character of Our organisation will keep Santonio on a good path.

Forgot to respond to this point earlier. I completely disagree. Not only do we have a move-the-chains guy already (Cotchery), but when you run a ground-and-pound offense like Rex loves, having a VERTICAL passing game helps you more to keep defenses honest.

With Holmes and Edwards, teams can't afford to load the box against us.

Forgot to respond to this point earlier. I completely disagree. Not only do we have a move-the-chains guy already (Cotchery), but when you run a ground-and-pound offense like Rex loves, having a VERTICAL passing game helps you more to keep defenses honest.

With Holmes and Edwards, teams can't afford to load the box against us.

That's the key!

This is why Holmes and Edwards will prove more valuable to us than Marshall would.

Guys you can disagree with me but Im looking at history here. I see Brandon Marshall in the same mold as a Keyshawn Johnson. Hes a posession guy who is very hard to stop in the 10 to 15 yard range. He only has 4.5 to 4.6 speed hes not a burner by any stretch. In a ball control offense when the tough plays need to be made on 4th down situations in the 4th Quarter while driving for a win or a tie this guy will be indispensible. This is where he will shine I dont care much about any other stats I care about the stats that win football games. We have not had this type of Receiver here since Keyshawn and while Cotch is a good WR hes no Keyshawn who always seemed to come up with the big first down catch on critical drives even while double teamed. The only way you do this is with height and long arms to go up and get the ball in traffic. Marshall is that guy Holmes is not.

Teams that have burners can build big leads and blow you out but in the playoffs when that tough catch needs to be made over the middle I will take the 6-5 Marshall and his strength over the 5-11 Holmes anyday.

Now that we have 2 burners on offense are we planning on becoming the Kurt Warner Rams ? Seriously what kind of offense are we planning on running when the chips are down vs top notch defenses in the playoffs ? Burners can be stopped Posession guys are very hard to stop.

Slats I was thinking before Marshall actully Signed his tender . Didnt he Sign it after the Jets Aquired Holmes ? Correct me if Im wrong because Im not sure.

Slats I was thinking before Marshall actully Signed his tender . Didnt he Sign it after the Jets Aquired Holmes ? Correct me if Im wrong because Im not sure.

Marshall signed his tender late. The Jets had plenty of time to get him for just the #29, and they chose not to. Certainly after passing on him for their first rounder, there's no way that Denver could've come back to them and said they could have him for a #1 and a #2, right?

That makes no sense.

And yeah, I think you're overrating Marshall and Keyshawn. We have a big receiver in Edwards, if he can get his head and his hands together, and we have a sure-handed possession receiver in Cotch. We have another big guy in Keller. Holmes is a guy who can drag two defenders downfield with him on every down, where he can either make a big play himself or open up the running or short passing game underneath. I think he's the perfect fit.

Miami, conversely, is left with a lot of middle of the field receivers, which is going to clog the field for their running game.

I definitely like the direction the Jets went - especially for the price.

Marshall signed his tender late. The Jets had plenty of time to get him for just the #29, and they chose not to. Certainly after passing on him for their first rounder, there's no way that Denver could've come back to them and said they could have him for a #1 and a #2, right?

That makes no sense. Your right Im not sure WTF I was thinking :)

And yeah, I think you're overrating Marshall and Keyshawn. We have a big receiver in Edwards, if he can get his head and his hands together, and we have a sure-handed possession receiver in Cotch. We have another big guy in Keller. Holmes is a guy who can drag two defenders downfield with him on every down, where he can either make a big play himself or open up the running or short passing game underneath. I think he's the perfect fit.

Miami, conversely, is left with a lot of middle of the field receivers, which is going to clog the field for their running game.

I definitely like the direction the Jets went - especially for the price.

Slats when you talk about what we have as in comparison to Miami I agree with you. But you do bring up questions that I put in bold in the quote. I feel these are questions Marshall could have answered and in your best case scenario I think swapping out Marshall and Holmes would have made us a much better offense for what we currently run. Bottom line is its a matter of Opinion and in this case all I can say is I hope your right :)

If Holmes is going to help anything he is going to open up the middle of the field for Keller to shine by taking a safety deep that should be a nice situation. If Shott is smart enough to actully take advantage of that. Shotts not a TE kinda guy but he had better become one fast.

Archived