Jets sign a new offensive lineman at one day tryout

Kentucky Jet

Kia signs one-year contract with Jets

Former Hawaii offensive lineman impresses NFL team at one-day tryout

When the ink was dry, including on the dot over the "i" in his surname, former Hawai'i offensive lineman Aaron Kia agreed to recite the chant:

"J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets," Kia shouted.

After a successful tryout yesterday morning, Kia signed a one-year contract with the New York Jets.

"It was such a relief," Kia said. "I was super happy. I was stoked."

And, for the first time in recent memory, the gregarious Kia admittedly "was speechless."

It was a proud ascent for Kia, who was not selected in last month's National Football League draft. Two weeks ago, he auditioned with the San Francisco 49ers. But that tryout did not result in a contract offer.

Soon after that three-day workout with 49ers, he was invited to yesterday's one-day tryout with the Jets. Kia prepared by training with his brother, UCLA offensive lineman Micah Kia, and former Bruin defensive lineman Jerzy Siewierski.

Yesterday's tryout was held at the Jets' training facility in Florham Park, N.J. Five free-agent offensive linemen, including Kia, worked out at one station. The rest of the Jets were in another area participating in organized team activities (OTA).

"It was standard O-line drills

After the workout, two linemen were excused. Kia and the remaining two linemen then were taken to a medical facility for physical examinations.

Just out of pure curiosity, what happened to the other two guys?

Why bother checking them physically if you are not interested in signing them?

Just out of pure curiosity, what happened to the other two guys?

Why bother checking them physically if you are not interested in signing them?

Could have been secondary options had Kia not passed his physical. Could also be guys they'd consider bringing back at some point if they free up any roster spots over the course of OTAs / mini-camp / camp.

I'm surprised. I guess they like his potential. He's pretty light, I haven't seen him listed over 291 anywhere. The Niners had him playing C and G and Rex was complaining that the guy they had in to snap for rookie camp couldn't go. I thought Kia was taking his place. I thought having another guy that could snap would also get Turner some run at LG. Just in case. Instead they are keeping Kia at LT where he will presumably be battling for a spot on the practice squad.

Archived