Football Cleats

Maxman

What's his size like? For D-Line, if he's DE, or any non-lineman position, I'd get him light Nike low-tops. For all other lineman, Definitely get high-tops. This is because the smaller, quicker guys (including DE) need the lightest cleats possible so it's less weight holding them back, and for lineman, it's to prevent rolling your ankles, since he will get stepped on A LOT at lineman.

If money isn't a huge concern, these work well for smaller guys:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3953241&cp=3077571.3079736.2360712.2360730&parentPage=family

And these for the bigger guys:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3349079&cp=3077571.3079736.2360712.2360730&pg=2&parentPage=family

And no matter what, make sure you get some metal spikes so you don't have to replace plastic ones. Brand doesn't matter.

I'd monkey around on Eastbay's site to see what's out there. The first and most important question is: What type of surface will he be playing on? I've usually had at least two pair at a time. One pair of screw-ins for the deep grass and a pair of molded. The molded are usually better for turf and they seem like they have more bend at the sole and are more comfortable. More like sneakers. Screw-ins will last for damn near ever and you can get different size cleats depending on the length of the grass or if the field is hard (frozen).

If he plays on super short turf he may want those little nubby turf shoes, but those crappy astro-turf covered concrete fields are probably a thing of the past (we play playoff games at the Vigorelli and it is as hard as concrete). With the new field turf a regular pair of molded cleats is usually preferable.

Throwin it out there, screw in spikes ruined my feet. That was just me though.

That and, if your son starts to have feet problems and needs orthodics. Get them. I firmly believe that my parents opting to not get orthodics for my high arches or 'instep' was the difference between me going D1 Lacrosse and regular ol' club lacrosse.

Guest Maxman

That and, if your son starts to have feet problems and needs orthodics. Get them. I firmly believe that my parents opting to not get orthodics for my high arches or 'instep' was the difference between me going D1 Lacrosse and regular ol' club lacrosse.

No politics please. Thanks.

High school and it is his first year playing so I am not sure what the position will be. I would guess defensive line...

Thanks.

Like his dad, he'll be a bowling ball with butcher knives.

Without the butcher knives.

What's his size like? For D-Line, if he's DE, or any non-lineman position, I'd get him light Nike low-tops. For all other lineman, Definitely get high-tops. This is because the smaller, quicker guys (including DE) need the lightest cleats possible so it's less weight holding them back, and for lineman, it's to prevent rolling your ankles, since he will get stepped on A LOT at lineman.

I think he is just about 6 feet tall and 200lbs.

Interesting, that is good insight! Thanks.

Guest Maxman
Like his dad, he'll be a bowling ball with butcher knives.

Without the butcher knives.

Your mom said no knives in bed. He's nothing if not obedient.

I'd monkey around on Eastbay's site to see what's out there. The first and most important question is: What type of surface will he be playing on? I've usually had at least two pair at a time. One pair of screw-ins for the deep grass and a pair of molded. The molded are usually better for turf and they seem like they have more bend at the sole and are more comfortable. More like sneakers. Screw-ins will last for damn near ever and you can get different size cleats depending on the length of the grass or if the field is hard (frozen).

If he plays on super short turf he may want those little nubby turf shoes, but those crappy astro-turf covered concrete fields are probably a thing of the past (we play playoff games at the Vigorelli and it is as hard as concrete). With the new field turf a regular pair of molded cleats is usually preferable.

I am pretty sure it is all grass and no turf. Private school, playing mostly other private schools. :-P

I will check out Eastbay, thanks.

Yeah we don't hesitate to use Doctors, etc whenever we think there is a chance they are needed. I agree with you there.

Guest Maxman

Yeah we don't hesitate to use Doctors, etc whenever we think there is a chance they are needed. I agree with you there.

Guest Maxman
You should ban all impostors, they really bring this site down.

Please make this your last post about religion. We have rules here.

Guest Maxman
Would we have to eat all of you in one sitting? If so, I would have to call Joey Chestnut to help.

I know you are but what am I?

I think he is just about 6 feet tall and 200lbs.

Interesting, that is good insight! Thanks.

I just bought a pair of Nike Cleats for this Kickball league I'm in and cuz I'm going to play Flag Football this year...so I went with kind of an all terrain type shoe. Mid cut, plastic cleats and they work like a charm and would be good for just about any position the Football field. Last night we played Kickball through a lot of rain and I didnt lose grip once.

Even if he plays on the line, he's young and his ankles should be strong and you can always tape up before game if he feels he's not getting enough ankle support.

I think you safest bet is some mid cut's that are comfortable for all facets of the game.

I just bought a pair of Nike Cleats for this Kickball league I'm in and cuz I'm going to play Flag Football this year...so I went with kind of an all terrain type shoe. Mid cut, plastic cleats and they work like a charm and would be good for just about any position the Football field. Last night we played Kickball through a lot of rain and I didnt lose grip once.

Even if he plays on the line, he's young and his ankles should be strong and you can always tape up before game if he feels he's not getting enough ankle support.

I think you safest bet is some mid cut's that are comfortable for all facets of the game.

Yes, no matter what, definitely have him tape his ankles and wrists before games.

Yeah I played WR and Safety while in highschool, never understood the importance of taped wrists till I started playing O Line in my flag league.

That's right, from Safety to Center. Don't eat your way through college kids.

Yeah, if you're only buying one pair I'd go with a set of molded cleats. I like Eastbay, but I'm not endorsing them too much because it's best if he tries them on and gets something comfortable. Nike tend to run small and I hear some of the new ones have a crazy high arch support that can be uncomfortable. I have a pair of Adidas that are super sweet (black patent leather hi-top clamshell screw-ins) but they are so tight width wise I can hardly wear 'em.

Yes, no matter what, definitely have him tape his ankles and wrists before games.

Why? I have never taped my ankles unless I had already rolled one and wrists? Depends on the position and amount of hitting expected. It's his fingers that he's going to be ****ing up.

if you go with low or mid i'd recommend mcdavid ankle braces. getting taped can be a hassle before practices every day... these things prevent sprains. If he's Reggie Bush it will prevent him from cutting but if he's Terrence Cody it won't affect him.

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/store/index.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=298

High school and it is his first year playing so I am not sure what the position will be. I would guess defensive line...

Thanks.

Nike Land Sharks are a great cleat. They are a molded cleat and last forever I still own a pair and use for playing softball.

Yeah, if you're only buying one pair I'd go with a set of molded cleats. I like Eastbay, but I'm not endorsing them too much because it's best if he tries them on and gets something comfortable. Nike tend to run small and I hear some of the new ones have a crazy high arch support that can be uncomfortable. I have a pair of Adidas that are super sweet (black patent leather hi-top clamshell screw-ins) but they are so tight width wise I can hardly wear 'em.

Why? I have never taped my ankles unless I had already rolled one and wrists? Depends on the position and amount of hitting expected. It's his fingers that he's going to be ****ing up.

Well, as a lineman, you definitely need to tape your wrists if your competition is any good. Because any good offensive lineman who sees a defensive lineman without taped wrists will just snap their wrists the second the defensive lineman gets his hands on him. It's dirty, but people WILL try and break your wrists if they know what they're doing. As for your ankles, if you have mid-low tops, you need it so when a lineman with crap footwork steps on your foot, you won't roll your ankle or tweak it the wrong way. For high tops, you don't need tape. And while most people do tape their fingers, I seem to find it ineffective, as it just make it harder for me to get under their pads cause I can't bend my fingers all the way.

6vQpW9XRiyM

if you go with low or mid i'd recommend mcdavid ankle braces. getting taped can be a hassle before practices every day... these things prevent sprains. If he's Reggie Bush it will prevent him from cutting but if he's Terrence Cody it won't affect him.

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/store/index.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=298

He is more the Cody type, lol.

Well, as a lineman, you definitely need to tape your wrists if your competition is any good. Because any good offensive lineman who sees a defensive lineman without taped wrists will just snap their wrists the second the defensive lineman gets his hands on him. It's dirty, but people WILL try and break your wrists if they know what they're doing. As for your ankles, if you have mid-low tops, you need it so when a lineman with crap footwork steps on your foot, you won't roll your ankle or tweak it the wrong way. For high tops, you don't need tape. And while most people do tape their fingers, I seem to find it ineffective, as it just make it harder for me to get under their pads cause I can't bend my fingers all the way.

Yeah, I guess as a lineman he'll probably need it, but this kid is just starting out. He's going to have summer camp to learn what he needs to tapee and what he doesn't. As for your fingers, it doesn't matter if you tape them,use gloves or both, you'll be ****ing them up anyway.

Archived