Football Cleats

Maxman

I'm actually an assistant coach this year and just an FYI--if there are any turf games, steel cleats will likely not be allowed. Also, the screw-ins are no good on turf and aren't good for the feet as the soles needed for screw-in cleats are hard and inflexible. Mid-ankle, molded cleats are best for most situations. If he's a wide or extra wide stay away from Nike or Eastbay as they're cut narrower--the best wide shoe by far is the New Balance cleat. Look for a New Balance store in your area and have him fitted there. they also have inserts (spenco are best) and wraps as well as braces.

I'm actually an assistant coach this year and just an FYI--if there are any turf games, steel cleats will likely not be allowed. Also, the screw-ins are no good on turf and aren't good for the feet as the soles needed for screw-in cleats are hard and inflexible. Mid-ankle, molded cleats are best for most situations. If he's a wide or extra wide stay away from Nike or Eastbay as they're cut narrower--the best wide shoe by far is the New Balance cleat. Look for a New Balance store in your area and have him fitted there. they also have inserts (spenco are best) and wraps as well as braces.

Nike offers many cleats in the WIDE size. My son played football on many turf fields all throughout his high school career and they always allowed the kids on with screw-in plastic cleats. Our high school even bought the plastic ones. They cant expect parents to supply certain shoes for certain fields.

Nike offers many cleats in the WIDE size. My son played football on many turf fields all throughout his high school career and they always allowed the kids on with screw-in plastic cleats. Our high school even bought the plastic ones. They cant expect parents to supply certain shoes for certain fields.

I have yet to come across a Nike wide that's actually wide. Did you get them online or are they available through local dealers? lots of kids like the brand but can't squeeze their feet into the regular Nikes--it would be good to know. Also, my town has a Field-Turf field and steel screw-ins are not allowed as they damage the field surface. Plastic are still OK, but tend to offer less traction as the grass is eesentially plastic over rubber granule and plastic on plastic is not very grippy.

I have yet to come across a Nike wide that's actually wide. Did you get them online or are they available through local dealers? lots of kids like the brand but can't squeeze their feet into the regular Nikes--it would be good to know. Also, my town has a Field-Turf field and steel screw-ins are not allowed as they damage the field surface. Plastic are still OK, but tend to offer less traction as the grass is eesentially plastic over rubber granule and plastic on plastic is not very grippy.

I have found them at a local sporting goods store where I live in N.J not a chain franchise. Ive also seen them on-line as well. I do agree with the narrowness of the Nike even in basketball and running sneakers. Nike is the most popular my son has actually ordered from Nike.com direct. Turf shoes are the best for a turf field but as mentioned affordability becomes a major factor.

This is good advice. I agree completely that molded are the best if you are going to have only one pair. I find the whole high/mid/low thing more personal preference, but I do prefer the mids so who knows. I suggested Eastbay as a place to look at cleats without leaving the house. I'd certainly prefer he tried them on first. Nike does have some wides available, but NB is easier to find in wide sizes.

Last time I was home I went to Nike Town and despite having a half a floor devoted to football (with life size manequin in full equipment) they didn't have one ****ing pair of football cleats. When I asked for football shoes they referred me to soccer. That's what they are supposed to do over here! I have fairly normal feet and I like the Nikes, but they do run small. It's kind of a delicate balance.

Thanks.

How in the world did you have a 6ft offspring? Sounds like Mrs Max took a dip in a different gene pool at some point:p

He is a big kid. Size 13 shoe, so I think he has some more growing to do. I am glad he is playing football it will be fun to watch.

Tomorrow is shoe day so I will re-read all these posts. Thanks everyone.

Well, what was the verdict? Choose anything or do you have more shopping to do?

He got a pair of Under Armor Mids with replaceable cleats. The other kids of the team told him to go with the under armor cleats. Which is weird because I didn't even know they made them.

He wore them at practice this week and says he likes them.

So thanks for all the help everyone. Free fridge magnets to everyone who answered me in this thread, lol.

Have to buy cleats for my son for football practice which starts next week. What do I need to know?

different lengths I assume so he can switch depending on wet/dry, firm, loose etc..

also i assume these days u need a pair for turf..

when i was buying XC shoes for kids, we had to get multiple spikes depending on terrain..

Funny, I had to buy running shoes a few days ago and strolled by cleats section. MAN those Under Armors are sooooo badass. They make really cool **** nowadays.

Different experience from when I was a kid. Dad's first rule was we get it from Bradlees. Second rule was they have to cost less than $20.

Different experience from when I was a kid. Dad's first rule was we get it from Bradlees. Second rule was they have to cost less than $20.

bradlees, haha,,,memories..

caldors, bradlees, etc,,anyother budget dept stores in memory banks?

cleats_pairc.jpg

get him a pair of Spot-Bilts

Those are awesome. I used to have a pair of canvas rubber soled cleats, they were basically knock off black Chuck Taylor high tops with rubber cleats the size and shape of your average screw-ins. They were like $2 at Meyer the Buyer or Sneaker Circus. Left them at my grandfather's house one time and he sawed the cleats off to wear them to tar the roof!

Dont forget 2 Guys,Korvettes,Great Eastern and Hermans Sporting Goods.

My next to last game I had to break out a pair of high top Nike screw-ins I bought at Herman's around 1990 because I had a blow out and the sole came off my regular cleats. I still have the blisters.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived