Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

Peter King - MMQB

I don’t see Darrelle Revis signing with the Jets this week either, despite reports to the contrary by Dallas columnist Tim Cowlishaw Sunday. But Cowlishaw’s good. That’s why I mention it at all — despite a source telling me there’s nothing to it.

Glauber

There was a buzz late Sunday afternoon when Dallas Morning News columnist Tim Cowlishaw […] wrote on his Twitter account that the Jets and Revis will announce an agreement as early as Wednesday. But a league source told me late Sunday that the speculation was inaccurate. I’m led to believe there has been little progress in the Revis talks.

Which makes you wonder if Revis is beginning to overplay his hand. With three years left on his deal and the Jets offering as much as $122 million over 10 years – you read right, $122 million over 10 years – he is demanding $162 million over 10 years, according to NFL sources.

With that $40-million chasm showing no sign of closing soon, the Jets appear to be doing the next-best thing: signing their other key young players to deals that are more palatable.

Cant find Schefter's, probably because I dont have ESPNInsider, but I read something on these forums or saw something on ESPN when he said something to the effect of "I've done some investigating of my own, and it seems as if little progress, if any, has been made between Revis and the Jets the past few days, or even weeks."

WRONG THREAD, but still can go here I guess.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They would lose a lot of subscribers. Thats where all the revenue comes from for HBO, subscriptions.

:face:

That was my point. Jbro is saying that ratings don't matter for HBO because it's subscription-based and they have no commercials. He neglects the fact that HBO has so many subscribers because people enjoy the shows. If the Jets were to drive up ratings on an HBO show, they'd be all over it. Why? They'll get more people to subscribe and many others to keep their subscription because they are getting shows they feel are worth it. Thus, although ratings may not matter directly, they reflect on the quality of the show and people's willingness to continue with HBO.

How do you think they negotiate how much they are going to charge (per subscriber) the cable/satellite companies who carry them?

Yeah, thats what I started to think about. But couldn't remember which way it went. Some reason I was thinking the Cable Providers charged them. Long day.

:face:

That was my point. Jbro is saying that ratings don't matter for HBO because it's subscription-based and they have no commercials. He neglects the fact that HBO has so many subscribers because people enjoy the shows. If the Jets were to drive up ratings on an HBO show, they'd be all over it. Why? They'll get more people to subscribe and many others to keep their subscription because they are getting shows they feel are worth it. Thus, although ratings may not matter directly, they reflect on the quality of the show and people's willingness to continue with HBO.

It's not only that, while Jbro does have a point, if some kind of Revis fiasco did actually triple the subscribers over night...

You could bet your a$$ that HBO would be using that to try and get a better per subscriber rate, when negotiating with their carriers came up.

Just to add to the conspiracy theory: The Jets put Pitoitua on the IR yesterday. He's done for the year with a torn achilles, though for some reason there are places claiming it's a torn ACL. That leaves a roster spot open and the Jets are very thin at a few spots. ILB. They have one P and the poor guy kicked 11 times on Saturday, yet they still haven't signed anybody. Are they waiting for Revis to sign or are they just lazy?

I know people will probably argue this and I guess we'll know by tomorrow but I'd bet that what Cowlishaw heard, in a round about way, is that Wednesday is the date that Revis set for his agents basically saying "I'll be quiet and let you try to negotiate a crazy contract for me until this date. If you don't figure it out by then, I'm taking the best deal they offer and coming back." I don't feel like he ever had any intention of sitting out a regular season game and he wants to play in the 3rd preseason game because he knows thats the most important one. And honestly it's a win/win situation for Revis because he either gets paid the crazy money he's asking for (which I feel he never fully believed he would get) or comes back for a better contract (less than he was asking though) and looks like a good guy. Sure he missed training camp and 2 preseason games but did he REALLY need them? Of course not. It was a risk worth taking to see what they could get using a scare tactic of sitting out the entire season. I also said this before that I feel he was behind the media blackout, getting nervous his agents were ruining his reputation knowing he would eventually be back. Unlike the Mankins situation in New England we havent heard a single word from Revis' mouth. I feel like this whole thing will be over very very soon.

I know people will probably argue this and I guess we'll know by tomorrow but I'd bet that what Cowlishaw heard, in a round about way, is that Wednesday is the date that Revis set for his agents basically saying "I'll be quiet and let you try to negotiate a crazy contract for me until this date. If you don't figure it out by then, I'm taking the best deal they offer and coming back." I don't feel like he ever had any intention of sitting out a regular season game and he wants to play in the 3rd preseason game because he knows thats the most important one. And honestly it's a win/win situation for Revis because he either gets paid the crazy money he's asking for (which I feel he never fully believed he would get) or comes back for a better contract (less than he was asking though) and looks like a good guy. Sure he missed training camp and 2 preseason games but did he REALLY need them? Of course not. It was a risk worth taking to see what they could get using a scare tactic of sitting out the entire season. I also said this before that I feel he was behind the media blackout, getting nervous his agents were ruining his reputation knowing he would eventually be back. Unlike the Mankins situation in New England we havent heard a single word from Revis' mouth. I feel like this whole thing will be over very very soon.

I truly hope this turns out to be the case, I guess we will see when/if a deal gets done.

I would not hold my breath though, and if you take him at his word, he's fine with missing the whole year.

Remember OTA's... He can play if wants, he can sit if he wants, he can fake injuries if he wants, bla, bla, bla.

I truly hope this turns out to be the case, I guess we will see when/if a deal gets done.

I would not hold my breath though, and if you take him at his word, he's fine with missing the whole year.

Remember OTA's... He can play if wants, he can sit if he wants, he can fake injuries if he wants, bla, bla, bla.

Agreed. But it would worry me ALOT more if I heard this come directly from him and not from "a source close to him" or his agents. Unless I missed something which is possible did Revis himself ever come out and speak on this himself since the holdout began?

Agreed. But it would worry me ALOT more if I heard this come directly from him and not from "a source close to him" or his agents. Unless I missed something which is possible did Revis himself ever come out and speak on this himself since the holdout began?

I'm not sure, all the bs with this is becoming a blur, but even if "a source close to him" or his agents said it, he did not refute it either.

I'm not sure, all the bs with this is becoming a blur, but even if "a source close to him" or his agents said it, he did not refute it either.

Yea true, but he hasnt said anything. He's been a ghost for months, and probably at the advice of his agents too. All I'm saying is I'd be a lot more concerned if he was addressing the public everyday or standing in the driveway of his mansion working out and talking to the media through the gate! haha

Yea true, but he hasnt said anything. He's been a ghost for months, and probably at the advice of his agents too. All I'm saying is I'd be a lot more concerned if he was addressing the public everyday or standing in the driveway of his mansion working out and talking to the media through the gate! haha

True.

Hey guys...what's the history on prodigy corners, do they stay superior if they're healthy? Or is it like Pitchers who take a zillion $$ and then can't throw a strike?

Champ Bailey is still kicking around. Darrell Green played until he could collect social security. So much of their game is speed related that getting dinged up legs can really ruin them, but several have hung around a looooong time. They don't have much contact. I guess that might keep them around.

Hey guys...what's the history on prodigy corners, do they stay superior if they're healthy? Or is it like Pitchers who take a zillion $$ and then can't throw a strike?

Rod Woodson — IMO, the best comparison to Revis — played 17 NFL seasons.

Of course, he switched also switched to safety later in his career.

I kind of agree with this theory and hope it is so. It's been stated that players do issue these types of demands. Some, don't wish to miss training camp at all and some do it simply to miss training camp.

I kind of agree with this theory and hope it is so. It's been stated that players do issue these types of demands. Some, don't wish to miss training camp at all and some do it simply to miss training camp.

We used our top pick on a CB and we brought in another CB who had issues.

I would have like to think the Revis as a Capitan of the #1 defense in the league would have wanted to be there for them.

Rod Woodson — IMO, the best comparison to Revis — played 17 NFL seasons.

Of course, he switched also switched to safety later in his career.

If Revis does sign a 10 yr deal with the Jets and stays with them he'll probably be a safety in the final 2-3 yrs of the contract.

I would have like to think the Revis as a Capitan of the #1 defense in the league would have wanted to be there for them.

It's funny cause in a backwards kinda way it benefited them that he wasn't there. They got to play with the starters and were targeted in the preseason games. Not saying he did this on purpose but it still benefited them in a way.

That's nice and all — but he isn't being paid to coach.

That's nice and all — but he isn't being paid to coach.

He's a Captain, he wants to be paid like the best Captains in football!

It has nothing to do with coaching!

Captains get on the field with you, coaches stand on the sidelines.

Anything else stupid you want to add? :blink:

It's funny cause in a backwards kinda way it benefited them that he wasn't there. They got to play with the starters and were targeted in the preseason games. Not saying he did this on purpose but it still benefited them in a way.

Not really, they would have gone out with the starters anyway.

Not really, they would have gone out with the starters anyway.

Not necessarily. At least not Wilson, the only reason he was playing with the starters was because Lowery voluntarily gave up that role to him so he would get work with the starters.

Not necessarily. At least not Wilson, the only reason he was playing with the starters was because Lowery voluntarily gave up that role to him so he would get work with the starters.

Like I said they would have played with the starters anyway.

He's a Captain, he wants to be paid like the best Captains in football!

It has nothing to do with coaching!

Captains get on the field with you, coaches stand on the sidelines.

Anything else stupid you want to add? :blink:

Cute — in a Disney sense.

But we are talking about real life here.

This isn't going out and holding captains' practices for your ra-ra HS football team.

In case you had forgotten, this is the man's livelihood. And no one should tell him the "right way" to handle it.

But we are talking about real life here.

This isn't going out and holding captains' practices for your ra-ra HS football team.

In case you had forgotten, this is the man's livelihood. And no one should tell him the "right way" to how to handle it.

He wants to get paid like the best Captains in the league, but he should not act like one right?

Like I said they would have played with the starters anyway.

lol dude how do you figure? If Revis was there, Wilson would not be playing corner with the starters. Cromartie would cause that was the plan but Wilson wouldnt be, and maybe its my fault I didnt specify what I meant but I mean at corner not at a different defensive position. It's gonna benefit Wilson in the long run to be getting some action at corner plus he'll have the whole regular season to be mentored by Revis.

hahahahahahahaha

I thought he got paid to shutdown the best receivers on earth?

Did I miss that part of his contract?

He wants more than that though, what you missed were the reports from his agents putting him on the same level with Brady, Peyton and Brees.

We already established that yesterday though, seems you still have your head up your a$$.

That's the same "hahahahahahahaha" you used when you accused me of making up these reports, that are scattered all over the forum by various posters. :confused0058:

WAKE UP AND PISS, THE WORLD'S ON FIRE!!!

He wants more than that though, what you missed were the reports from his agents putting him on the same level with Brady, Peyton and Brees.

We already established that yesterday though, seems you still have your head up your a$$ though.

That's the same "hahahahahahahaha" you used when you accused me of making up these reports, that are scattered all over the forum by various posters. :confused0058:

WAKE UP AND PISS, THE WORLD'S ON FIRE!!!

Man, we are like oil and water!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

lol dude how do you figure? If Revis was there, Wilson would not be playing corner with the starters. Cromartie would cause that was the plan but Wilson wouldnt be, and maybe its my fault I didnt specify what I meant but I mean at corner not at a different defensive position. It's gonna benefit Wilson in the long run to be getting some action at corner plus he'll have the whole regular season to be mentored by Revis.

Exactly, I believe that Wilson would play in the nickel package and not as the regular every down CB. It has definitely benefited him and forced him to "grow up" quickly. So far so good with him. Looks like he might be able to handle it and when Revis does come back, we have the confidence in Wilson for that nickel coverage.

Archived