Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So do a lot of guys like Schefter and Mort and Glauber who know probably more people with better connections than Cowlishaw knows as a columnist in Dallas, Texas. Everything we hear from those NFL experts and analysts seems to contradict Cowlishaw's report.

Actually, nothing has contradicted it.

No one has gone on record as flat out denying Cowlishaw's info. All the Manish Mehtas and Jenny Vrentases and Bob Glaubers of the world have done is state that the Jets and Revis both continue to have a media blackout as far as negotiations are concerned.

Cowlishaw covered the NFL as a Cowboys beat writer for the better part of a decade. I am sure the guy's got more than a few NFL sources.

He said himself that this info basically fell into his lap. He went so far as to hint that his source told him something that totally confirms his info as being true so unless some actually issues a statement denying it, or Saturday rolls around and Revis still isn't signed I have legitimate hope that Revis will be back in the fold before the end of the week.

Actually, nothing has contradicted it.

No one has gone on record as flat out denying Cowlishaw's info. All the Manish Mehtas and Jenny Vrentases and Bob Glaubers of the world have done is state that the Jets and Revis both continue to have a media blackout as far as negotiations are concerned.

Cowlishaw covered the NFL as a Cowboys beat writer for the better part of a decade. I am sure the guy's got more than a few NFL sources.

He said himself that this info basically fell into his lap. He went so far as to hint that his source told him something that totally confirms his info as being true so unless some actually issues a statement denying it, or Saturday rolls around and Revis still isn't signed I have legitimate hope that Revis will be back in the fold before the end of the week.

Actually, no. Glauber just put up an article citing a league source saying that little to no progress has been made in negotiations since the media blackout. He said according to the source Revis and the Jars are still about 40 million apart in total compensation on a ten year contract.

Bob Glauber is next in line to refute Cowlishaw on his claim...Just put up an article saying that little to no progress has been made between the Jets and Revis since the two sides agreed to a media blackout according to league sources. Said that Revis and Jets still have to work out a 40 million dollar gap in total compensation...Apparently Revis wants 160 over 10 years and the Jets refuse to give more than 120.

Just another report that this has been the problem all along!

DireJet, wipe the sand from your eyes!

I'm sure its possible. But reasonable?

Theres no money on the line for anyone invovled to get this on HBO.

Sure there is, if Revis is on it the amount of viewers will triple. The replays will be watched by more people, the website (jets and HBO) will get a ton more traffic.

There is a ton of money to be made by riding the wave and doing it right away instead of waiting a week.

Why?

There's a report that our best player is going to be signed this week.

Why should I hammer that report — especially when it's coming from a 25-year vet?

Bob Glauber is next in line to refute Cowlishaw on his claim...Just put up an article saying that little to no progress has been made between the Jets and Revis since the two sides agreed to a media blackout according to league sources. Said that Revis and Jets still have to work out a 40 million dollar gap in total compensation...Apparently Revis wants 160 over 10 years and the Jets refuse to give more than 120.

The other day you said I was smearing MEvi$ for stating the very same thing the report above is saying.

You were in total denial that any such reports existed, and accused me of making up those numbers.

How does a rumor that he will be signed this week change any of that? :huh:

I never heard of this guy before, now I can spell Cowlishaw without looking it up. Anyone who thinks it's impossible that he's promoting a very weak source or even making sh*t up isn't paying attention. He has really raised his profile in the last couple days. If by some reason he mixed up Mangold's and Revis' deals, he should come clean soon. If he wants to continue sticking to his guns on this, then God bless him and I hope he's right.

The other day you said I was smearing MEvi$ for stating the very same thing the report above is saying.

You were in total denial that any such reports existed, and accused me of making up those numbers.

How does a rumor that he will be signed this week change any of that? :huh:

I had no idea you were talking about that in the original post.

Our back-and-forth over contract numbers exited my brain long ago.

And I'm not in denial over it. But 10/160 doesn't really matter if there aren't definitive guarantees. It could be bloated with fluff. As I've been saying from the beginning, this is going to come down to guaranteed money derived through a signing bonus.

I never heard of this guy before, now I can spell Cowlishaw without looking it up. Anyone who thinks it's impossible that he's promoting a very weak source or even making sh*t up isn't paying attention. He has really raised his profile in the last couple days. If by some reason he mixed up Mangold's and Revis' deals, he should come clean soon. If he wants to continue sticking to his guns on this, then God bless him and I hope he's right.

He mixed up Coleman and Revis. Source probably told him the Jets are close to working out a deal with a CB. Lol.

From what I have seen of Cowlishaw, he's a stand up guy.

I highly don't he is just making this all up.

Sure he could end up being wrong, but I don't think he just made the whole thing up.

Besides how would the extra attention, do him any good, if it came out that the whole thing was a sham and a fraud?

Without Twitter this whole commotion doesnt even happen. Now the entire world knows who Tim Cowlishaw is. In this world of guys like Lebron...nothing would surprise me in terms of attetion whoring.

He didn't. In fact today he posted a lengthy explanation as to his tweet regarding Revis. Here.

My quiet day ended when I obtained some information early in the afternoon about Darrelle Revis, the Jets’ fabulous cornerback who has been holding out from camp in order to get a new contract.

The source of information was good, someone I have used before. Beyond that, I won’t go into further details.

Originally I was told the signing would be “probably Wednesday or Saturday.” That seemed strange that there would be a possible range of three days in the situation.

But when I found out one other aspect of the story that made me believe it had to be true, Wednesday made a lot more sense than Saturday. Since the 140-character nature of Twitter doesn’t lend itself to expanding on one’s thoughts, I just typed “probably Wednesday.”

Even limiting myself to that, “probably Wednesday” sounded weird, like I was hedging my bets. I wasn’t trying to suggest there’s a deal-breaker involved, but who knows? Things of that nature happen all the time. Still, I felt like “probably Wednesday” was the most accurate information I could provide at the time.

Once that one tweet was out there, my chances of getting much of the day off were shot (although I did manage to squeeze in three games at Top Golf with Ben and I didn’t forget to skype Rachel).

It didn’t surprise me that my information was getting shot down right and left by those covering the Jets. As a beat writer covering the Cowboys for six years, I did a lot of “shooting down” and this was in the early days of ESPN and long before the world was wired and Twitter came along.

I talked to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen and the New York Daily News‘ Gary Myers on the phone, a couple of guys I have known for 20 years or more. I exchanged texts or, in some cases, tweets with others I have had long relationships with.

They were supportive if curious as to how this information was coming from a Dallas-based general columnist. Understandably curious.

As for those who said I was making it up to get more followers: Does that sound like a good thing to do? I’ve worked for The Dallas Morning News for more than 20 years, ESPN for another seven. Is just making stuff up and having no clue about it a big part of my history?

Getting predictions wrong, yeah, I’ve done that two or three times. Two or three thousand times, I mean.

Throwing stuff against the wall with no idea whether or not it might stick? Not a real good way to maintain any shred of credibility.

The messages coming in from Jets’ fans were pretty much non-stop and the only surprising thing about any of that was how many of them seemed to suggest they didn’t think Revis would sign until well into the season, if at all.

How often does that happen? How often does that work?

Emmitt Smith got extra guaranteed money by sitting two games in 1993. But that was the league MVP-to-be and he had to get somewhat lucky in rolling the dice that the Cowboys would go 0-2 to Washington and Buffalo and that Coach Jimmy Johnson would go so crazy about it that Jerry Jones would have no choice but to cave in.

As great a player as Revis is, that’s a big gamble to take.

Regardless, it does not appear that he is going to roll those dice. All signs indicate that the Revis saga, a major storyline for HBO’s Hard Knocks‘ special on the Jets, ends this week.

And then I can tweet more about Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon … even if it doesn’t quite reach the same audience that Darrelle Revis does.

FWIW, Cowlishaw's a pretty well known national columnist.

He's a regular on that unbearable Around The Horn show.

This isn't Jimmy Olsen from the Podunk Press.

We'll eventually know by the end of the week if TC is right. If you look at TC's blog post today, he said his source told him probably Wednesday or Saturday.

That said, as to JB & Dire's argument about Hard Knocks.

HBO has said before that they can include anything that happens in the show up to 2 hours before broadcast. So any breaking news, interview, announcement either side wants to make can be done by 8 pm and get into the show.

Thus, there is a possibility that the story can be held under wraps until Wednesday and then we'd start hearing rumers Wednesday evening about what's in the show.

I had no idea you were talking about that in the original post.

Our back-and-forth over contract numbers exited my brain long ago.

And I'm not in denial over it. But 10/160 doesn't really matter if there aren't definitive guarantees. It could be bloated with fluff. As I've been saying from the beginning, this is going to come down to guaranteed money derived through a signing bonus.

Please, I have been saying all along the problem is MEvi$ wants $16 million a year for 10 years, and you accused me of smearing and making those numbers up!

I said the reason they have not moved on to guaranteed money is because MEvi$ won't come off the $16/$160 and the Jets see that as out of the question.

You buried your head in the sand to those reports and said I was imagining them, today you are singing a different song. SHOCKER!

As for those who said I was making it up to get more followers: Does that sound like a good thing to do? I’ve worked for The Dallas Morning News for more than 20 years, ESPN for another seven. Is just making stuff up and having no clue about it a big part of my history?

Getting predictions wrong, yeah, I’ve done that two or three times. Two or three thousand times, I mean.

Throwing stuff against the wall with no idea whether or not it might stick? Not a real good way to maintain any shred of credibility.

He's got his just in case I'm wrong clause in here, just in case. cool.gif

Listen, I really hope he's right. Like I said, I don't know the guy and don't mean to disparage him. He's raised his profile a ton here, though, you can't discount that. Even if he's wrong on this, after it blows over people will remember his name without remember why. It's not bad PR.

Please, I have been saying all along the problem is MEvi$ wants $16 million a year for 10 years, and you accused me of smearing and making those numbers up!

I said the reason they have not moved on to guaranteed money is because MEvi$ won't come off the $16/$160 and the Jets see that as out of the question.

You buried your head in the sand to those reports and said I was imagining them, today you are singing a different song. SHOCKER!

Hopefully, we all find out on Wednesday.

And then you can go back to cheering for the Jets' best player instead of tearing him down.

Hopefully, we all find out on Wednesday.

And then you can go back to cheering for the Jets' best player instead of tearing him down.

See there you go again!

How is posting what has been reported tearing him down??? :huh:

I have been cheering for him all along, cheering for him to sign a reasonable deal!

You have just been slandering people for that, while your head has been firmly placed up your a$$! :blink:

Archived