Revis Signed!!!!

SoFlaJets

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Respect and looking to someone for leadership are two different things. Having someone lead who is actually on the field allot goes along lomg way.

Sure they are great locker room leaders, but so are the coaches, and guys like Mangold, Woody and LT are as well.

This team does not have great vocal leadership.

I am not sure about Woody but Mangold and LT do not come across as vocal leaders. They are great players. But this team needs somebody to be vocal in the locker room and on the sidelines when the chips are down. Someone who commands respect. T Rich and Coles were those guys. Its good to see T Rich come back. Hopefully we get Coles after Week 1.

This team does not have great vocal leadership.

I am not sure about Woody but Mangold and LT do not come across as vocal leaders. They are great players. But this team needs somebody to be vocal in the locker room and on the sidelines when the chips are down. Someone who commands respect. T Rich and Coles were those guys. Its good to see T Rich come back. Hopefully we get Coles after Week 1.

While I somewhat agree, the coaches are on the sidelines and in the locker room, they are all vocal leaders.

IMO we need more vocal leadership on the field, in the huddle, and I don't think Mangold and LT are as quiet as you think.

The goal is for Sanchez to be that guy anyway.

i'm ready to forget this whole thing now with one last arrow

it drives me NUTS when a player holds out and then comes back and says, "I'm just another piece of the puzzle"

o rly ?

why did we have to go through that then ?

arrrrgh !!!!!

k, I'm done

Yeah I caught that too.

Sooo excited even though he'll hold out for an insane deal in 3 years.

Also mad props to incarcerated bob! That's my new boy sorry for doubting you.

Who is to say we'll want him in 3 years? He could be done by then. It doesn't take much in the way of injury to render a cover-corner very ordinary. In any event, I hope we go CB early in the next daft.

If I am reading Rex's comments correctly....then Rex, Johnson, Tanny, Revis and Uncle were all in the same room in Florida but the agents weren't in the room but on the phone elsewhere. If so my kudos to the Jets for outstanding personnel positioning. That is the ideal formation for the Jets and the absolute worst formation possible for the agents. Cause it allows the Jets to talk to Revis directly, but makes it very difficult for the agents to talk to their client privately or directly. (do able, but quite difficult).

While I somewhat agree, the coaches are on the sidelines and in the locker room, they are all vocal leaders.

IMO we need more vocal leadership on the field, in the huddle, and I don't think Mangold and LT are as quiet as you think.

The goal is for Sanchez to be that guy anyway.

We sure do need more leadership from Sanchez. But that's not happening till he performs on the field. Hopefully this is that year when he makes that transition. Otherwise he is just a overtly sensitive, nail biting guy.

In Darrelle's press conference he said that he did, in fact, want more than Asomugha. POINT TO YOU, SIR!!

Yet prior to that, everyone who had taken his side felt they were able to weed through his bull***t and pick the parts he really meant and the parts where he was just posturing as a negotiating tactic. And then along comes Revis who says you were wrong all along and that he was being the greediest MF'er in the league.

Who is to say we'll want him in 3 years? He could be done by then. It doesn't take much in the way of injury to render a cover-corner very ordinary. In any event, I hope we go CB early in the next daft.

If there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that Rex LOVES drafting corners. I doubt we take one in the first 2 rounds, but I also doubt he's happy with Lowery/Coleman/Cole as our options at the dime back. We'll take another one 3rd round or later just to stockpile at the position.

Yet prior to that, everyone who had taken his side felt they were able to weed through his bull***t and pick the parts he really meant and the parts where he was just posturing as a negotiating tactic. And then along comes Revis who says you were wrong all along and that he was being the greediest MF'er in the league.

Moi!? My position wasn't pro-Revis as much as it was anti-Jets-Management. If I'm a big player in the NFL, I'm getting paid in cash vis a vis signing bonuses/full guarantees. All I said was that I would wait to see what he got before I'd start sh*tting on him, and what he settled for was nowhere near the OMG 10/160 MIL OR HE'LL NEVER PLAY AGAIN!!! that some media types and fans were screaming about. You can't tell me that Tannenbaum and Woody come out of this looking like the beleaguered victims that they tried to portray themselves as, can you?

Moi!? My position wasn't pro-Revis as much as it was anti-Jets-Management. If I'm a big player in the NFL, I'm getting paid in cash vis a vis signing bonuses/full guarantees. All I said was that I would wait to see what he got before I'd start sh*tting on him, and what he settled for was nowhere near the OMG 10/160 MIL OR HE'LL NEVER PLAY AGAIN!!! that some media types and fans were screaming about. You can't tell me that Tannenbaum and Woody come out of this looking like the beleaguered victims that they tried to portray themselves as, can you?

I can tell you that. Yes.

They offered him 3 deals weeks and weeks ago. 7 days before the first game, he takes the middle one.

I have no issue with the anti-Jets-management. I only took issue with it being based on (a) not willing to pay players, which then turned into (B) not willing to pay their "own" players, and finally © specifically in dealing with Revis while he had 3 years left on his contract that he held out for that his agent wrote.

No! Anyone who saw it for what it was, was just hatin. :blink:

I can tell you that. Yes.

They offered him 3 deals weeks and weeks ago. 7 days before the first game, he takes the middle one.

I have no issue with the anti-Jets-management. I only took issue with it being based on (a) not willing to pay players, which then turned into (B) not willing to pay their "own" players, and finally © specifically in dealing with Revis while he had 3 years left on his contract that he held out for that his agent wrote.

I see your points. But, because I am conspiracy-minded I tend to believe that the offer Revis signed was an offer that they had to pull out of Woody's cold, dead wallet this weekend in regards to the guaranteed dough. That, to me, was and will be the heart of the matter. Did it come out if the $32 mil is up front cash, or in the form of injury and/or skill guarantees? That'll be the tell-all, I'd imagine.

I see your points. But, because I am conspiracy-minded I tend to believe that the offer Revis signed was an offer that they had to pull out of Woody's cold, dead wallet this weekend in regards to the guaranteed dough. That, to me, was and will be the heart of the matter. Did it come out if the $32 mil is up front cash, injury/skill guarantees? That'll be the tell-all, I'd imagine.

It's in another thread. In a nutshell he took some of the guaranteed money as guaranteed against skill and some against injury. For starters, $8M of the guaranteed is this year's salary. The other $24M is future stuff. So in a way, the Jets only guaranteed roughly half of that $24M since that is the sum of the Jets risk after this season. Effectively, they guaranteed about $20M, which is about the same he had without the holdout over the next 3 seasons (sustaining a career-altering injury this season, and getting cut as a result, notwithstanding). Something tells me that's not what Revis really wanted.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/06/revis-deal-pays-out-1625-million-per-year-over-first-two-years/

"And that's the key. At the end of the 2011 season, Revis will have $32.5 million. That translates to $16.25 million per year -- higher than the $16.142 million that Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha will earn this year."

So Revis gets a few $$ more than Aso over the first two years. Something tells me that he'll holdout again in year three even though the last three years (2014, 2015, and 2016) of the contract depend on whether he holds out again.

If he doesn't holdout they're voided and Revis will be a UFA after the 2013 season and the Jets can't franchise or transition tag him.

He's held out twice and has been rewarded with upfront money and he'll do it again. He won't play in 2012 and 2013 for a measly $13.5 million combined, that averages less than 7 million a year. He'll want to renegotiate another long term contract with big upfront money.

It's in another thread. In a nutshell he took some of the guaranteed money as guaranteed against skill and some against injury. For starters, $8M of the guaranteed is this year's salary. The other $24M is future stuff. So in a way, the Jets only guaranteed roughly half of that $24M since that is the sum of the Jets risk after this season. Effectively, they guaranteed about $20M, which is about the same he had without the holdout over the next 3 seasons (sustaining a career-altering injury this season, and getting cut as a result, notwithstanding). Something tells me that's not what Revis really wanted.

Thanks. I just saw that thread. It looks like Revis gets paid for the first two years then gets porked the last two years. Can you answer one question for me? If the Jets decide they don't want to pay the gigantic 2011 option bonus, can they just cut Revis and he only gets his $8 mil or so 2010 salary? Also, I'm SHOCKED there's no signing bonus.

Thanks. I just saw that thread. It looks like Revis gets paid for the first two years then gets porked the last two years. Can you answer one question for me? If the Jets decide they don't want to pay the gigantic 2011 option bonus, can they just cut Revis and he only gets his $8 mil or so 2010 salary? Also, I'm SHOCKED there's no signing bonus.

Porked? He does not get porked at all. The deal is front-loaded (for the most part). That is a scam-artist's way of looking at it. If the Jets knew for certain Revis would not honor years 3-4, they wouldn't have offered him dick. Those first 2 years are part of the deal. The second two years are also part of it. The average is $11.5M. So if you want to say Revis gets porked the last 2 years, make sure you include that the Jets get porked the first 2 and then conclude that it all evens out if Revis honors his contract.

And no they can't just cut him after this year. He has guarantees in his contract if the Jets cut him. Not $32M, but most of it.

Porked? He does not get porked at all. The deal is front-loaded (for the most part). That is a scam-artist's way of looking at it. If the Jets knew for certain Revis would not honor years 3-4, they wouldn't have offered him dick. Those first 2 years are part of the deal. The second two years are also part of it. The average is $11.5M. So if you want to say Revis gets porked the last 2 years, make sure you include that the Jets get porked the first 2 and then conclude that it all evens out if Revis honors his contract.

And no they can't just cut him after this year. He has guarantees in his contract if the Jets cut him. Not $32M, but most of it.

Thanks, brother. And thanks for helping all of us better understand the workings of an NFL contract. It was must-read stuff.

I meant "porked" relative to what he was apparently aiming for. At this point, the next time I hear "Revis" and "contract" in the same sentence, I'm advocating shipping him off to the Saskatchewan Rough Riders. This was his last best chance to get paid and I think everyone who was behind him this time will have zero sympathy for him if--God forbid-- there's a next time.

Thanks, brother. And thanks for helping all of us better understand the workings of an NFL contract. It was must-read stuff.

I meant "porked" relative to what he was apparently aiming for. At this point, the next time I hear "Revis" and "contract" in the same sentence, I'm advocating shipping him off to the Saskatchewan Rough Riders. This was his last best chance to get paid and I think everyone who was behind him this time will have zero sympathy for him if--God forbid-- there's a next time.

We still have pictures of when you used to pork Max from back in the day. Good stuff if you're viewing on an empty stomach.

We still have pictures of when you used to pork Max from back in the day. Good stuff if you're viewing on an empty stomach.

Sometimes, when it's quiet and lonely here, I'll light a few candles, pour myself a glass of Riesling and remember when my little Power Bottom was just starting out as a wide-eyed webmaster. Now look at him, all successful and a born-again virgin.

Sometimes, when it's quiet and lonely here, I'll light a few candles, pour myself a glass of Riesling and remember when my little Power Bottom was just starting out as a wide-eyed webmaster. Now look at him, all successful and a born-again virgin.

Would it be incorrect to suggest that the Revis discussion has run its course?

Would it be incorrect to suggest that the Revis discussion has run its course?

:lol:

We're in a holding pattern until the next unwinnable blood feud. As per tradition, we fill the gap <zing!> with homoerotica. You're a vet, homey. You know the deal. Either imply Max is gay or start a 46-page thread where we try to prove that Mark Sanchez has a noodle arm.

We're in a holding pattern until the next unwinnable blood feud. As per tradition, we fill the gap <zing!> with homoerotica. You're a vet, homey. You know the deal. Either imply Max is gay or start a 46-page thread where we try to prove that Mark Sanchez has a noodle arm.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

:rl: We're a sick bunch.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

So I assume that talking about the first game of the season, and the first one in the new stadium, is not an option? Glad to know the new board hasn't changed much around here.

Archived