Revis Signed!!!!

SoFlaJets

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG JUST SAW THIS TWEET:

@Adam_Schefter: In order to make room for Revis, #Jets waive Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Bart Scott and everyone else, and also terminate contracts of entire Flight Crew. All u Mevi$ guys were rite 2 worry.

NOT THE FLIGHT CREW.

OH THE HUMANITY!

I'm glad he's signed but I can really do without the "This was a painful process for me" BS. You put yourself and your bank account before the team. Man up and be honest. You could give a sh*t about the process as long as you got your $$$. Now lets go win a SB!!!

I'm glad he's signed but I can really do without the "This was a painful process for me" BS. You put yourself and your bank account before the team. Man up and be honest. You could give a sh*t about the process as long as you got your $$$. Now lets go win a SB!!!

I don't mind that he had a "me first" approach to the whole thing, he has to, he is right to act as such... what I do mind is the fake injury, the fact that he was still under contract for 3 years, the BS about "can't feed my family", when there are people out there who REALLY can't feed their families

I don't mind that he had a "me first" approach to the whole thing, he has to, he is right to act as such... what I do mind is the fake injury, the fact that he was still under contract for 3 years, the BS about "can't feed my family", when there are people out there who REALLY can't feed their families

yeah, those are good points--especially the last one. I was a hot tar roofer for 15 years. Barely made the bills--hard to feel sorry for a guy who plays a game I'd play for free and whines about the meager millions not being enough to "feed his family". Does he even have a family?

What bothers me is how high his initial demands were, and how long this dragged out. I know I read articles where he was quoted as saying he wanted a dollar more than Namdi. Unless those were satires, which I sincerely doubt, that was his stance. Initially they started even higher, leaking the $20M number, but they publicly addressed that and brought the demands down about 2-3 days AFTER that was leaked, because of public backlash I guess. Revis was also quoted there as saying that number was a fantasy. But he still wanted to be the highest paid CB, which of course again meant more than Namdi, and that was very consistent these past couple of months.

This actual contract is fair and I don't really mind it. It actually LOWERS the compensation 2 years from now anyway, when he was due $15M, although I suppose it depends how the salary numbers are spread out.

I would imagine Tanny would insist that the salary numbers never dip below say $6M, so that Revis can't use that as justification to hold out in a few years. That would require a somewhat smaller signing bonus, but some guarantees in place. So even if Revis suffers a career ending injury 5 minutes in Game 1, his salary is probably guaranteed for the next 4 years. The Jets better hope that doesn't happen, and I don't think it will anyway.

Like ?

From last weeks episode of Hard Knocks it was clear that leadership was a key issue on offense.

I think that message was directed solely at Mark Sanchez, although Rex couldn't openly say it. They need the kid to be the leader of this offense moreso than last year. Whether Richardson was here or not that was ALWAYS going to be the case. Mark needs to mature quickly.

I think that message was directed solely at Mark Sanchez, although Rex couldn't openly say it. They need the kid to be the leader of this offense moreso than last year. Whether Richardson was here or not that was ALWAYS going to be the case. Mark needs to mature quickly.

Mark is a few seasons from being taken seriously by his peers, I think. He hasn't had the production, has made big mistakes (See: Jenkins saying "we need to get the ball back, our QB needs the reps), and hasn't established himself as a serious professional, yet. I'm thinking five and ten year vets aren't looking to a twenty-three-year-old for leadership until he pulls his weight. That may take a while, yet. Still, there are others who can fill that role on this squad. Thing is, being a veteran doesn't automatically make you a leader (B. Thomas, D, Harris, B. Edwards). It's a personality trait. I honestly think Santonio has the chops to be a future leader. Time will tell.

Mark is a few seasons from being taken seriously by his peers, I think. He hasn't had the production, has made big mistakes (See: Jenkins saying "we need to get the ball back, our QB needs the reps), and hasn't established himself as a serious professional, yet. I'm thinking five and ten year vets aren't looking to a twenty-three-year-old for leadership until he pulls his weight. That may take a while, yet. Still, there are others who can fill that role on this squad. Thing is, being a veteran doesn't automatically make you a leader (B. Thomas, D, Harris, B. Edwards). It's a personality trait. I honestly think Santonio has the chops to be a future leader. Time will tell.

Rex as much as said so in as in as many words to Coles. He wants him back and wants him to take the leadership role.

And T-Rich is still the veteran leader on an offense that has no vocal leaders.

If they were doing that much leading, they would have not got cut or they'll be brought back.

Fact is all the coaches were saying the guys who were supposed to be vocal leaders were not speaking up, and these guys got cut.

As far as having an offense that has no vocal leaders, I call BS. Mangold will speak up, LT will speak up, Woody will speak up.

Guys like Keller and Sanchez need to have years where they to, have room to talk.

If they were doing that much leading, they would have not got cut or they'll be brought back.

Fact is all the coaches were saying the guys who were supposed to be vocal leaders were not speaking up, and these guys got cut.

As far as having an offense that has no vocal leaders, I call BS. Mangold will speak up, LT will speak up, Woody will speak up.

Guys like Keller and Sanchez need to have years where they to, have room to talk.

they got one of their leaders back tonight in Revis-remember him yelling at Bart Scott after one of his stupid personal foul penalties?

Yes, but JetsFanInDenver is talking about leaders on the offense.

Sanchez last year was asked to take that role TBJ-and you know it's one of those things that just happens-leaders will emerge naturally. Something is going to happen to piss somebody off and they will go off on everyone with a loud "WTF are we DOING here?" and then players will start looking TO that guy...you don't elect leaders-they appoint themselves

Sanchez last year was asked to take that role TBJ-and you know it's one of those things that just happens-leaders will emerge naturally. Something is going to happen to piss somebody off and they will go off on everyone with a loud "WTF are we DOING here?" and then players will start looking TO that guy...you don't elect leaders-they appoint themselves

I totally agree, I'm not worried about that one bit. Like I said I call BS on the offense having no leadership.

I sight that and the fact that guys like T-Rich and Coles that were not going to start, are not the guys the team is going to look for for leadership, on the field anyway.

Everyone knows what their job is and what they have to do. The coaches are all paid very well to provide instruction and keep the players motivated as well. Generally leadership is a fluff story the media concocts and the fans eat up. A couple of assholes in every walk of life that get some power like to use it to push around other people below them, but that isn't "leading" nor is it actually conducive to winning. At best it has no effect at all, at worst it just tears the team apart and that's why bad teams are such sh*tty places to be---it doesn't matter how good of a "leader" crappy players with crappy coaches are, the team will suck and lose and everyone will either hate it or punch out--like they generally do on the Raiders.

Even in the military, where you actually need great leaders, or in politics where the very job description is leadership, the strategy, tactics and abilities of the individuals and the organizations as a whole are what lead to success. You can call that leadership if you want. But the yelling at and belittling people or pretending you're some athlete's father isn't what gets it done.

This team will be fine. Sanchez has to be "the man" not some other guy. The coaches, outside of Schitty, come up with good gameplans usually and the players generally execute and are motivated. If it doesn't work out it's because the players aren't good enough, the coaches aren't good enough, or the team was just unlucky in critical moments. It won't be because Tony Richardson, Coles, or whoever else you want to pretend is essential but doesn't actually contribute isn't on this team. Actually I like T-Rich, but he's a fullback and Connor is supposed to be a younger version of him.

What bothers me is how high his initial demands were, and how long this dragged out. I know I read articles where he was quoted as saying he wanted a dollar more than Namdi. Unless those were satires, which I sincerely doubt, that was his stance. Initially they started even higher, leaking the $20M number, but they publicly addressed that and brought the demands down about 2-3 days AFTER that was leaked, because of public backlash I guess. Revis was also quoted there as saying that number was a fantasy. But he still wanted to be the highest paid CB, which of course again meant more than Namdi, and that was very consistent these past couple of months.

This actual contract is fair and I don't really mind it. It actually LOWERS the compensation 2 years from now anyway, when he was due $15M, although I suppose it depends how the salary numbers are spread out.

I would imagine Tanny would insist that the salary numbers never dip below say $6M, so that Revis can't use that as justification to hold out in a few years. That would require a somewhat smaller signing bonus, but some guarantees in place. So even if Revis suffers a career ending injury 5 minutes in Game 1, his salary is probably guaranteed for the next 4 years. The Jets better hope that doesn't happen, and I don't think it will anyway.

but 32 million up front is waaaay too much. He's going to do the same thing in a couple of years from now.

Like I said in a earlier thread Revis probably put a time table on negotiations for this weekend so he could get a full week of contact in practice before the first game. There were probably multiple deals on the table that were suitable and his agents were pushing for the best deal.

Its possible this would have never beenn done before this weekend unless a totally ridiculous offer was made.

It's been widely reported that Revis’ agents were asking for a 10-year, $162 million contract, with more than $40 million guaranteed.

Curious to see how close his training camp long holdout got him to that.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/darrelle-revis-agrees-to-new-york-jets-deal-090510

He got 4 at 46. 32 guaranteed. I am interested in how they spread out the guaranteed money. It would be nice if it becomes guaranteed as he reports to camp each year barring a career ending injury where it becomes all guaranteed at that point. I don't know what they could do in terms of the current and future cba...

He got 4 at 46. 32 guaranteed. I am interested in how they spread out the guaranteed money. It would be nice if it becomes guaranteed as he reports to camp each year barring a career ending injury where it becomes all guaranteed at that point. I don't know what they could do in terms of the current and future cba...

Since Revis has held out twice now, you can bet there is some type of launguage in the contract that addresses that. At least I hope there is.

Archived