Jets coach Rex Ryan said defense 'couldn't stop a nosebleed' late against Bears

Jetfan13

CHICAGO — Linebacker Jason Taylor said the reason he came to the Jets was to win a championship, so he was pleased when he and his teammates landed in the postseason last night.

But the Jets’ 38-34 loss to the Bears, and particularly their subpar defensive showing, tempered his excitement.

“We’re not giddy about the end result,” Taylor said. “We’re happy to get in the playoffs, but we realize we kind of laid a stinker today.”

Thanks to Jacksonville’s loss to the Redskins yesterday, the Jets left Soldier Field with a reason to celebrate, but several defensive players had a hard time reconciling the good news with the unit’s performance. The Jets gave up 322 total yards and five touchdowns to the Bears.

In the third quarter alone, they surrendered 21 points and the lead.

Asked what happened to the defense in the second half, coach Rex Ryan said he was asking himself the same question.

“We couldn’t stop a nosebleed (in the third quarter),” he said. “Everybody has to step up. It would have been easy if it was just one guy’s mistakes or whatever.”

The Jets gave up their first 100-yard rusher of the season (running back Matt Forte had 113 yards), couldn’t get pressure on Bears quarterback Jay Cutler and gave up five pass plays of 20-plus yards.

Taylor blamed himself for two back-to-back pass plays in the second quarter when he found himself in pass coverage: a 14-yard pass on third down to Earl Bennett, who came into his zone, and a 24-yard pass to Forte which set up Jay Cutler’s 2-yard touchdown run.

Sticking with Ryan’s favorite nosebleed analogy, the worst bleeding was when Cutler threw three touchdowns in 7:14.

Johnny Knox caught a 40-yard touchdown on safety Dwight Lowery, who fell down but said he could have made a play with better technique and fundamentals. Devin Hester caught a 25-yard touchdown, with Drew Coleman on coverage, on which the Jets had just 10 men on the field.

Knox turned in one more touchdown that quarter, a 26-yard catch on which cornerback Antonio

Cromartie said he “lost the ball.”

“That’s the story of us this whole year,” Lowery said. “We need to get to the point to where we take care of the things we need to take care of, so we can get off the football field.”

Kind of laid a stinker? That's the understatement of the year. Hopefully Rexy kicks his players and coaches in the a$$ this week for that performance. 10 men on the field and Taylor in coverage? I'm starting to think a lot of this is on Pettine.

Kind of laid a stinker? That's the understatement of the year. Hopefully Rexy kicks his players and coaches in the a$$ this week for that performance. 10 men on the field and Taylor in coverage? I'm starting to think a lot of this is on Pettine.

I've said this all along about Pettine! Bring Rob Ryan in!!!

The Swiss cheese defense is not the same as last year.?

WTF is up with the defense lately? It used to be our strength.

Our offense was initially having problems, now they seem to be the Jets strength.

Wouldn't it be great if BOTH offense and defense show up for the p-p-playoffs? We would be unstoppable. ;)

He says that but it will be more of the same next week. Im sick of him saying "we're gonna fix that" and then its the same sh*t week after week after week.

Apparently the Offense has been fixed. We'll see come playoffs time. I don't count anything next week with starters potentially not playing.

WTF is up with the defense lately? It used to be our strength.

The problems are numerous:

1) Ancient front 7.It doesn't take long to go from "elite" to "old and slow" in this league. We're old in the front 7. Shaun Ellis, Bryan Thomas, Jason Taylor, Calvin Pace and, of course, Kris Jenkins are all pretty much done when it comes to generating a pass-rush. With no one behind them in the depth chart to rise up and take their place (Gholston, Westerman, etc. aren't producing), we've got ourselves an old, fatigued group. No wonder they can't generate a pass-rush or cover quick, speedy guys out of the backfield or TE's in coverage.

2) Revis is only one man. Cromartie may be talented, but he's dumb as a rock. Asking him to, like Revis, take a guy out of the game is nonsense. With Kyle Wilson not being able to step in right away like we'd hoped, our lack of depth at the CB position is showing up. We can only send Drew Coleman out there so many times before disaster strikes.

3) Our safeties suck. Eric Smith's injury may well have been a blessing in disguise, but Dwight Lowery is still learning on the job, and Brodney Pool is a 1-and-done guy who will not return. With Jim Leonhard out, we don't even have a guy out there who knows the D well enough to call the plays.

And that about covers it. To sum up, old and slow front 7, inconsistent play out of the CB's other than Revis, poor safeties, and depth issues at every level. THAT is how you go from # 1 defense in the league to middle-of-the-pack very quickly.

The problems are numerous:

1) Ancient front 7.It doesn't take long to go from "elite" to "old and slow" in this league. We're old in the front 7. Shaun Ellis, Bryan Thomas, Jason Taylor, Calvin Pace and, of course, Kris Jenkins are all pretty much done when it comes to generating a pass-rush.

Good post, but I disgree with Pace. I think he's still not fully recovered from the broken foot and it has affected him all year.

One thing is for sure, next years draft will be all defense.

Good post, but I disgree with Pace. I think he's still not fully recovered from the broken foot and it has affected him all year.

True, but combine the foot injury with the fact that he's 30 and it doesn't help. He may be done as a consistent contributor to this defense, especially if there's no football in 2011. Between the 4-game suspension last year and the foot injury this year, he's been quite a waste of money.

2) Revis is only one man. Cromartie may be talented, but he's dumb as a rock. Asking him to, like Revis, take a guy out of the game is nonsense. With Kyle Wilson not being able to step in right away like we'd hoped, our lack of depth at the CB position is showing up. We can only send Drew Coleman out there so many times before disaster strikes.>>

i disagree with this, Cromartie has played pretty much lights out! and it really showed in the begining of the season when Revis was out or not at 100%

Archived